SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITED SIOUX RECRUITS - 2009-10 Updates, Stats and News

AZSIOUX

Forbert and Mattson play immediately. Marto and Lapoint will play, and Blood and McWilliam. That's 6 regular D for sure. Gleason might be a role player, wherever he will fit. Fienhage needs to get ice to prove himself.

thats how i looked at it as well going back and forth

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forbert and Mattson play immediately. Marto and Lapoint will play, and Blood and McWilliam. That's 6 regular D for sure. Gleason might be a role player, wherever he will fit. Fienhage needs to get ice to prove himself.

I am not so sure Mattson will be in right away or for that matter even Forbort. Its still early in the season, but Mattson is not having the impact at the USHL level that he had last year. It maybe a new style of play or team, but he is having a mediocre start. Foorbort is doing better than Mattson, playing against tougher competition. I think Forbort is a 1st rounder, while Mattson will slip to rounds 3 or 4. In that case, I think you have to try to keep your first rounder happy and give him a chance ahead of Mattson.

Of course this could all change by the end of the year, but that is how I see it as of right now.

I am not so sure Mattson will be in right away or for that matter even Forbort. Its still early in the season, but Mattson is not having the impact at the USHL level that he had last year. It maybe a new style of play or team, but he is having a mediocre start. Foorbort is doing better than Mattson, playing against tougher competition. I think Forbort is a 1st rounder, while Mattson will slip to rounds 3 or 4. In that case, I think you have to try to keep your first rounder happy and give him a chance ahead of Mattson.

Of course this could all change by the end of the year, but that is how I see it as of right now.

Looking at Mattson's stats....I don't think that he is having an off year...Remember that last year, he played on the U.S. Under 18 team and not in the USHL.

Here are his stats with hockeydb.com and ushl.com. It looks like in 16 games he had 1 goal and 5 assists and he has only played 4 games this year with no goals but 9 shots.

Nick Mattson

Nick Mattson-USHL

I don't think Kristo had a great first half last year either, but look at him now, look at him now. Plenty of time for guys to work their game.

Look at him now? While he is a great player, talk to me when he starts burying a few goals. :D

which he will as hes only 4 games deep into his career playing on the top line with 2 very talented linemates. top unit pp time as well ;) and 4 points in 4 games is a nice start

My point with Mattson is that unless he starts putting up some big numbers and becomes a reliable offensive defensemen, I think he loses his spot to one of the bigger, more physical guys. UND will have Marto, Gleason, and Forbort to move the puck and create offense, that leaves Blood and Fienhage and MacWilliams for size and strength. Lapoint will be in the mix, so I still don't see both those freshmen getting more playing time than lets say Fienhage who will be a junior. Also consider that we may lose a recruit or two long the way because of the logjam, and that's not limited to recruits as a current player may leave to get more icetime.

The skill is plenty evident, IMO. The rest will come with it. The kid is clearly a player.

I had the smile face for a reason. He is a good player, there is no doubt about that. He will eventually start burying the biscuit. Hopefully throughout the year he continues to get stronger so he can be a force and be hard to knock off the puck. Getting stronger should play a huge role in his development at UND.

LaPoint is a highly drafted Junior who is solid offensively and defensively. There is no guarantee that he will be a Senior.

It's kind of funny you mention DLP.

Before his injury last year, although pretty solid, he had his times where people thought "what the heck is he doing?" It's mostly his skating that hindered him, IMO. Some even said he had "two left feet." Well, I think the injury to his right leg fixed that....I think they turned those two left feet into a left foot and a right foot, and this year, he's been great. He seems faster, smoother, smarter, and overall a lot better. Last year he wasn't that bad, he just wasn't awesome. By the end of the year, Derrick will be a defensive leader.

Do I think he'll leave though? No. I've met Derrick a few times through where I worked in GF and he doesn't seem like the type of kid to leave if he doesn't feel ready. Another year of bulking up will make him more pro-ready after his senior year, and next year's team will be a real title contender.

My point with Mattson is that unless he starts putting up some big numbers and becomes a reliable offensive defensemen, I think he loses his spot to one of the bigger, more physical guys. UND will have Marto, Gleason, and Forbort to move the puck and create offense, that leaves Blood and Fienhage and MacWilliams for size and strength. Lapoint will be in the mix, so I still don't see both those freshmen getting more playing time than lets say Fienhage who will be a junior. Also consider that we may lose a recruit or two long the way because of the logjam, and that's not limited to recruits as a current player may leave to get more icetime.

Mattson is not a scorer. Never has been. He is like a bigger Taylor Chorney. He will only get a couple goals a year, but he will rack up alot of assists. He could of easily been in the line up this year, heck he could of cracked the line up last year the way he played (even though he was still in high school)!

As I said in a post before the season If Blood keeps progressing throughout the year, Im sure he will have a lot of pressure to sign!

After watching Minnesota you have to be very happy with the defensemen our coaches have recruited and with the ones they've gotten commitments from. Fienhage would be in their top 4 right now. North Dakota and Wisconsin have did a great job of plucking some good defensemen out of Minnesota the last couple years and the reason I say this is because its obviously the gophers biggest weekness.

Mattson is not a scorer. Never has been. He is like a bigger Taylor Chorney. He will only get a couple goals a year, but he will rack up alot of assists. He could of easily been in the line up this year, heck he could of cracked the line up last year the way he played (even though he was still in high school)!

i don't know alot about mattson, and i hope you're right. but he was the 7th dman on the development team last season here for the u18 and didn't see much 5 on 5 time, which leads me to believe he would not have cracked the sioux lineup this season. he is a hell of a skater from what i saw, but definately could put a little meat on the bones.

i don't know alot about mattson, and i hope you're right. but he was the 7th dman on the development team last season here for the u18 and didn't see much 5 on 5 time, which leads me to believe he would not have cracked the sioux lineup this season. he is a hell of a skater from what i saw, but definately could put a little meat on the bones.

UM....no he wasn't. He was a top-6 d-man for the U-18s when he was here and played most of the time on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for the season. I saw him play at the Under-18s in Fargo (more than once) and he was not the odd man out. so please...

UM....no he wasn't. He was a top-6 d-man for the U-18s when he was here and played most of the time on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for the season. I saw him play at the Under-18s in Fargo (more than once) and he was not the odd man out. so please...

not sure where the attitude comes from as i said, i don't know much about mattson other than he is a highly touted recruit and, as i stated, a hell of a skater. that being said, the game i saw at the u18 tourney, he got very little 5 on 5 time (maybe a couple of shifts) but looked great out there on both the pp and pk. and i will stick by my statement that he could put some muscle on (as most 17 or 18 year olds need to). i must not be the only one with that thought process, as he is not in a sioux uni this season. i wasn't knocking mattson at all, as i hope he steps in next season and is all we think he can be, just simply stated i don't think there was a spot for him now (as someone stated he could have cracked the lineup this season, and even last season). so please i guess?? (must be the new whatever?) :) just kidding, im not that old.

Schlossman has him listed as a 2010 recruit, but he could be wrong. He also has Forbort as a 10/11:

Danny Mattson, F, 10

Derek Rodwell, F, 10

Nick Mattson, D, 10

Derek Forbort, D, 10/11

Mike Fink, F, 10/11

Colten St. Clair, F, 10/11

Michael Parks, F, 11

Brendan O'Donnell, F, 11

Brock Nelson, F, 11

Zane Gothberg, G, 11/12

Schlossman has him listed as a 2010 recruit, but he could be wrong. He also has Forbort as a 10/11:

Danny Mattson, F, 10

Derek Rodwell, F, 10

Nick Mattson, D, 10

Derek Forbort, D, 10/11

Mike Fink, F, 10/11

Colten St. Clair, F, 10/11

Michael Parks, F, 11

Brendan O'Donnell, F, 11

Brock Nelson, F, 11

Zane Gothberg, G, 11/12

This will most likely come off sounding cruel, but I have to wonder if Fink doesn't make some strides this year if they will ask him to defer or drop his scholarship all together. I know he joined the USHL rather young, but he is in his 3rd season there now and although its early, he doesn't look like he has progressed much from last year. He committed very early and just hasn't seemed to develop much. With the full house over the next year or two, does UND have to make some tough decisions about delaying or cutting recruits??