SiouxSports.com Forum

2009-2010 Season

sioux2013

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I saw that both Shuler and Brekke got a few minutes in the game yesterday. I thought they were going to redshirt? Or can they still play in exhibitions without affecting their redshirt status?

Pretty sure they're still red-shirting. The women's red-shirts played a few minutes in their first exhibition game, too.

Anyone attend the exhibition yesterday? Your impressions?

It was disappointing that Wilmer wasn't in uniform, as he was one of the freshman I was most interested in seeing. Not sure what his injury status is.

I thought Clausen looked pretty good. He knocked down some 3's, and wasn't afraid to take big shots. He also took a big charge late.

None of the freshmen really did much offensively. It's hard to say which of them may develop into scorers in time.

It was clear that the offense has a long way to go before the players are comfortable running it. It never seemed like anybody got a good shot as a direct result of running the offense.

Probably the most disappointing aspect of yesterday's game was that Bemidji seemed able to get an open look, particularly from 3-point range, nearly every possession of the second half against our zone. Their offfense moved the ball much better than ours did.

It was disappointing that Wilmer wasn't in uniform, as he was one of the freshman I was most interested in seeing. Not sure what his injury status is.

I thought Clausen looked pretty good. He knocked down some 3's, and wasn't afraid to take big shots. He also took a big charge late.

None of the freshmen really did much offensively. It's hard to say which of them may develop into scorers in time.

It was clear that the offense has a long way to go before the players are comfortable running it. It never seemed like anybody got a good shot as a direct result of running the offense.

Probably the most disappointing aspect of yesterday's game was that Bemidji seemed able to get an open look, particularly from 3-point range, nearly every possession of the second half against our zone. Their offfense moved the ball much better than ours did.

Jones has been twittering that a number of players have had a round of influenza, and haven't been able to field 10 players for a full practice.

On the coaches show, Jones seemed very high on Wilmer, calling him the fastest player on the court and athletic.

Seemed Jones also talked up Archer quite a bit.

I guess Wilmer has had a lower leg injury recently- they said (radio) that he had been wearing a walking boot for it until recently and they expected him to return relatively soon.

Our Freshman for the most part looked...like freshman. Allard didn't impress me at all, like I was hoping he would-but you could tell he wanted no part of shooting after he missed the first badly. Archer to me looks to be the one that will be able to step in and add something. I thought he did some nice things defensively, and showed not much but a little offensively--seems real athletic.

I guess Wilmer has had a lower leg injury recently- they said (radio) that he had been wearing a walking boot for it until recently and they expected him to return relatively soon.

Our Freshman for the most part looked...like freshman. Allard didn't impress me at all, like I was hoping he would-but you could tell he wanted no part of shooting after he missed the first badly. Archer to me looks to be the one that will be able to step in and add something. I thought he did some nice things defensively, and showed not much but a little offensively--seems real athletic.

I agree about Archer and Allard. The kid I'd like to see them run some plays for is Haugen, as he's supposed to be a very good 3-point shooter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to turn the page on this loss to Mayville now...............

Some positives so far this season I think have been the play of Travis Mertens and Spencer Goodman. Mertens has just been a steady and consistent player since he's been here. Seems like you can always count on 9-10 points and 6 or 7 rebounds from him each game. Goodman has been a pleasant surprise, at least to me. Playing quite a few minutes, scoring 8 points a game, and shooting around 45% as a freshman. He looks like he could have a bright future.

Patrick Mitchell was off to a great start to open the Montana tourney before spraining his ankle in the final game. Hopefully he heals up quickly, as he and Bledsoe are really the only two guys who could be legitimate scoring threats.

Nice to see Bledsoe play so well against Mayville. He can make a big difference when he's at 100%.