SiouxSports.com Forum

UAF to WCHA?

GeauxSioux

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont recall anyone doubting it? I will go so far as to hypothesize noone here cares.

Yep no one cares, what relevance does it have in this conversation. I actually didn't even know. So what.

based on the blogs i've seen over the past few hours, it sounds like omaha might be playing a bit of hardball as mplsbison predicted. likely, things will still work out to where uno joins the wcha, but at this point it doesn't seem out of the rhelm of possibility that they stay in the ccha. if that happens, then uaf will very likely be switching conferences.

if that happens, i think a lot of folks who repeatedly berated mplsbison for suggesting such a thing owe him an apology.

at the same time, if omaha gets in, which as i said is still likely, then everybody is free to continue such berating.

i'll steer clear in either case. to me, it's too similar to a football coach making a bold call; if it works, he's a genius. if it fails, he's an idiot. i've always opposed the mouth off now and apologize later, if necessary, approach, but i guess it does make for some good drama sometimes.

I don't know if Omaha is playing hardball, as in my opinion since they are the one being courted, they should have the right to not pay an entrance fee and get playoff money. Hardball would be if they demanded the Final Five in their back yard as suggested earlier. I guess we'll see when everything shakes out.

I don't know if Omaha is playing hardball, as in my opinion since they are the one being courted, they should have the right to not pay an entrance fee and get playoff money. Hardball would be if they demanded the Final Five in their back yard as suggested earlier. I guess we'll see when everything shakes out.

I, for one, would not be opposed to having the Final Five rotate between XCel and Qwest.

It wouldn't be a matter of home ice advantage as already Minnesota enjoys that at the XCel (thanks to long drawn out arguments here and elsewhere). Qwest is a fabulous facility and Minnesota could use the frequent flyer miles.

I will take bet.

Actually I agree with mplsbison here. It makes sense as a concession from the league and is now the second venue in the wcha big enough to host the siouxper six. I for one would love a road trip to omaha for playoffs. Omaha is a great sports town and has a growing loyal hockey fanbase. Plus its a reason to hit the old stomping grounds, some great bars in omaha.

Actually I agree with mplsbison here. It makes sense as a concession from the league and is now the second venue in the wcha big enough to host the siouxper six. I for one would love a road trip to omaha for playoffs. Omaha is a great sports town and has a growing loyal hockey fanbase. Plus its a reason to hit the old stomping grounds, some great bars in omaha.

Me too I would make the trip but would also make that bet with MplsBisonfan.

I would love to see them switch it up as well, the St.Paul scene is growing very stale IMO. But realistically I think the tournament is locked down in St.Paul for a long time.

Count me in among those who would like to see Nebraska-Omaha and Bemidji State both admitted to the WCHA. As nice as the St. Paul venue is, I think it's time to maybe spread the venue around, and Omaha is a good choice for it. I believe it's in the best interests of hockey in the long run.

I'm willing to bet that the FF at the Qwest is a forgone conclusion on some periodic basis.

Huh ? Please explain.

Last year UNO averaged around 6200 fans/game at home. Not bad but they could have had significantly more, the Quest Center capacity is 16,680.

Why would the WCHA want to move the premier event to Omaha ?

The XCEL capacity is 18,064. The Final Five is close to a sellout every year there.

Why would they risk moving it to a smaller venue that has not shown they would be able to support it ?

It is also a further drive for fans of almost every team.

Additionally, UNO has not shown they can be a top club, so what is the likelyhood they would even make the final 5(6) ?

If they don't make it do you really believe they could sell out the arena ? That's what would need to happen for the WCHA to even consider it.

What are the advantages to the league in holding it in Omaha. I don't see any, only a loss of revenue.

$$$ I'm not sure if it would make sense as the X holds 3000 more people and if you consider a 5 game package runs about $150 that's $450,000 the WCHA would be giving up in certain years.

Isn't the "X" the one who bids on it? I thought they outbid the Bradley Center, and that is why it has been in St. Paul. Wouldn't the Qwest center have to put in competitive bids as well?