SiouxSports.com Forum

UAF to WCHA?

GeauxSioux

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huge assumptions on your part that those fewer miles translate into significantly lower costs.

What they would save in travel costs would likely be eaten up in lower attandance from WCHA schools.

I guess we'll see!

Attendance will probably increase in the WCHA, not decrease. Many of the schools are within easy travel distance and since they have a big building you are pretty much assured of having tickets available. Schools like UND, UMTC, MSUM and probably a few others would have good sized crowds follow them to Omaha. For instance, it's only a couple of hours longer to drive to Omaha from Grand Forks than it is to drive to Minneapolis. From the Twin Cities it is an easy drive down 35 to Des Moines and west on 80 to Omaha.

Besides, other than the big 4 schools of the CCHA, who from that conference is going to draw large crowds? Do you think Omaha people, other than hockey fans, know anything at all about Northern Michigan or Lake Superior State or some of the other schools? At least the average sports fan in Omaha is familiar with UND, UMD, St. Cloud, MSUM, UMTC and Wisconsin. And it won't take them long to know a long time hockey program like Denver or Colorado College.

Massive shuffle might just be what collegiate hockey needs

One man's dream is another man's nightmare....

These discussions of who may be going or who may be coming led me to visualize a perfect world with a nice, eight-team D-I conference with the Alaska schools, the three Colorado programs (Denver, Air Force and Colorado College), Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota and Minnesota State Moorhead.

Be interesting to see what UNO's nego team was able to get from the WCHA in terms of the tourny in Omaha, revenue from the tourny, etc.

Well, since UNO was holding all the cards, I wouldn't be surprised if after the contract for the WCHA Final 5 (by that time will be Super 6 or something) is up with the Xcel Energy Center that it is then permanently moved to Omaha, and UNO gets 100% of the revenue from the tournament. Also, even if UNO takes last in the league and gets swept in the 1st round of the WCHA tournament, they still get to play in the Final 5/Super 6 - as the #1 seed. :)

More like 25. Division play started in 1969 and I believe that they realigned in 1994, so from 1969-1993. And don't forget that the Dallas Cowboys have been in the National Football League East forever while the Atlanta Falcons were in the NFL West for many years.

oh, man, i was way off.

Well, since UNO was holding all the cards, I wouldn't be surprised if after the contract for the WCHA Final 5 (by that time will be Super 6 or something) is up with the Xcel Energy Center that it is then permanently moved to Omaha, and UNO gets 100% of the revenue from the tournament. Also, even if UNO takes last in the league and gets swept in the 1st round of the WCHA tournament, they still get to play in the Final 5/Super 6 - as the #1 seed. :)

I also heard they will get to play all their games at home.

I think that article sounds like it was written by a team that was last to the party.

Also, last night on WDAZ the CCHA commish Tom Anastos was on and said in so many words that he wasn't opposed to taking MSU Moorhead in the

CCHA.

This quote coming from a guy who would give his left nut to get UNO in the WCHA, since that type of miracle would end world hunger, among other things.

Hey I am not going to have to give my _______insert organ because UNO is going to BE in the WCHA go ahead and live with your head

in the Bision Manure if you want.

This quote coming from a guy who would give his left nut to get UNO in the WCHA, since that type of miracle would end world hunger, among other things.

You sound like a beauty contestant want a be.

I figured he didn't realize that UNO would still have to travel to Alaska and that is what he was chalking up the shorter travel to.

He did go to UND, after all.

Morbid curiosity makes watching your contorted and tortured rationalizations, which are twisting you into what must result in a fatal, flesh-rendering, bone-splintering position, irresistable. It's been fairly conclusively shown that one of us is confused and unfamiliar with the current membership of the WCHA and CCHA - and it ain't me. Seriously - do you ever admit to reality? Everything points to UNO going to the WCHA. Is it a sure thing? No, but the smart money ain't bettin' agin it.

Should I trust Brad's experienced point of view

Barring something unforeseen, it is beginning to seem inevitable that Bemidji State and Nebraska-Omaha will be joining the league in 2011-12. Talks between Omaha and the WCHA started before Dean Blais was hired. During the coaching search, they slowed down. But now that Omaha has a hire in place, they should pick back up again. You know that Blais won't be opposed to the move.

Although this means that fans will see rivals like Minnesota and Wisconsin less often, I get a sense that most are willing to sacrifice that to save Bemidji State.

On the positive side, the league gains two good teams with two great coaches and two more nice buildings. Bemidji State's new arena is scheduled to open in December 2010 -- before it would become a member of the WCHA -- and Omaha plays in the 16,500-seat Qwest Center.

or Mpls?

I guess still call me skeptical that UNO will switch from the CCHA to the WCHA.

Not that I think Fairbanks is a better option

I think I'll go with Brad's expertise on this matter. :)

Should I trust Brad's experienced point of view

or Mpls?

I think I'll go with Brad's expertise on this matter. :)

Raises hand: Pick me please. :D If MplsBison fan wants to live in denial that is fine with me. The writing is on the wall, I stand by my statement that the UAF article is a day late and a dollar short. I have to wonder if they are pandering to their fan base to say see we tried but the WCHA doesn't want us.

The credible sources seem to be coming out in favor of UNO joining. I am less skeptical that it could happen now, I am just waiting to see what prizes UNO's negotiating team will be able to bring back from the table.

Apparently you didn't read this.

The credible sources seem to be coming out in favor of UNO joining. I am less skeptical that it could happen now, I am just waiting to see what prizes UNO's negotiating team will be able to bring back from the table.

Either way....UND hockey will still exist, so you'll still have the opportunity to cheer for them. You are a Sioux hockey fan, right? I mean, why would someone waste their time on a different school's fan forum, especially when their favorite school doesn't even play sport...?

MplsBison, nominated most loyal Bison, Sioux hockey fan.