SiouxSports.com Forum

UAF to WCHA?

GeauxSioux

Tell that to McGovern's and Tom Reeds, because they were hopping the whole weekend.

That ain't saying a whole lot...you obviously didn't stop over to d/t Mpls during the bball tournament weekend. No, of course not, you're one of those bleeding heart hockey fans who hates "bouncy-ball" and hates NDSU so you purposely stayed away.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets say a gentleman's bet that the venue doesn't move. Like Siouxweet said; "agreed, if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Heck I can see the Gopher rule staying as well because they are such a money maker.

I still believe that the Final 5(6) will remain in St. Paul most, if not all, years. I think that they will look at moving it to other locations like Omaha once in a while, but I don't know if that will actually happen. My point is that it isn't written in stone that it will stay in St. Paul because we don't know for sure what will happen. Until the contract is signed we don't know what kind of curveball could be thrown into the mix.

That ain't saying a whole lot...you obviously didn't stop over to d/t Mpls during the bball tournament weekend. No, of course not, you're one of those bleeding heart hockey fans who hates "bouncy-ball" and hates NDSU so you purposely stayed away.

Um yeah you can put me in the category of hating ANY basketball. I am not a bleeding heart anything either.

Hate NDSU, ha, ha, ha... I don't remember signing a piece of paper when I moved to ND that I had to like NDSU.

Do we really want to go down that road again?

2 Yeah shorter travel...to Alaska! *shakes head*

Uh, Mr. Rocket Surgeon, sir, the University of Alaska (at Fairbanks) is in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA).

UNO's Alaska travel (to Anchorage) would be *shorter* in the WCHA.

1 Money is what it will come down to, of course. You say more money just by joining the WCHA, I say hogwash to that unless you show some caluclations.

2 Yeah shorter travel...to Alaska! *shakes head*

3 Come to the WCHA so you can lose more games! Yeah, that'll help you get in the NCAA tournament...

4 The reason UNO wanted to stay in the CCHA in the first place is that they have many alumns from CCHA schools in town. Fans don't need to travel.

You also vastly over estimate the travel parties of schools like St Cloud, Mankato and Duluth. UND, Minnesota, I could see it. Wisco, Denver? Mmm no.

1. I showed you some actual numbers in a post above. They will save money on travel and will probably make more money by increasing attendance.

2. Obviously you have no clue about the CCHA. Omaha already travels to Alaska because the University of Alaska at Fairbanks is part of the CCHA. In an earlier thread someone compared the travel for Omaha between the CCHA and WCHA. It adds up to hundreds of miles of travel which means less cost and less time on the road. Here it is again:

Comparing travel for Omaha in CCHA versus WCHA

Notre Dame - 548 miles MN State Mankatoa - 291 miles

Western Mich - 600 miles Minnesota - 384 miles

Michigan State- 675 miles Wisconsin - 435 miles

Ferris State - 686 miles St. Cloud State - 452 miles

Michigan - 695 miles North Dakota - 500 miles

Bowling Green - 708 miles Minnesota Duluth - 534 miles

Miami-Ohio - 719 miles Denver - 539 miles

Ohio State - 790 miles Bemidji State - 555 miles

Northern Mich - 800 miles Colorado College - 609 miles

Lake State - 920 miles Michigan Tech - 747 miles

Fairbanks AK - 3595 miles Anchorage AK - 3361 miles

3. You can lose more games and still get into the NC$$ tourney if your strength of schedule is better. Plus you are better prepared to play the good teams once you get into the tourney.

4. Local fans don't need to travel. But they will also probably show up whether you are playing CCHA or WCHA. If you can attract a lot more fans traveling in to see the opposing team it can be advantageous financially.

I recall that Aleries (although a few blocks away) was quite busy as well :)

Souns like a Bar I am going to have to close down next year at the final five. I love those Irish Bars in St Paul.

Nothing beats a glass of Ginness Beer.

Souns like a Bar I am going to have to close down next year at the final five. I love those Irish Bars in St Paul.

Without the bs carried in on the boots by Bison fans, the bar doesn't have quite the same flavor, apparently, nor the aroma that they love so much. If they'd get to wander through, or at least down wind, of the stockyards at Sioux City/Omaha, they'd feel right at home.

Without the bs carried in on the boots by Bison fans, the bar doesn't have quite the same flavor, apparently, nor the aroma that they love so much. If they'd get to wander through, or at least down wind, of the stockyards at Sioux City/Omaha, they'd feel right at home.

It comes back to an old statement if you want work on the farm you go to NDSU, if you want to own the farm you go to UND.

I was away from my computer this afternoon, so this is the first chance I got to post this - and I didn't read anything about this in the thread yet.

Dean Blais was on Dan Hammer's show at lunch and said that UNO will be in the CCHA this year and Bemidji State will be an "independent", and next year both will be in the WCHA.

I was away from my computer this afternoon, so this is the first chance I got to post this - and I didn't read anything about this in the thread yet.

Dean Blais was on Dan Hammer's show at lunch and said that UNO will be in the CCHA this year and Bemidji State will be an "independent", and next year both will be in the WCHA.

The CHA has one more season left to go, they are waiting word from the NCAA if they are going to get another Auto Bid.

I was under the impressiong that UNO and BSU had to wait till 2011-2112 before they were admitted into the WCHA.

I was under the impression that the two remainging CHA teams without leagues would have be indies for a year.

Maybe it's part of the negoiations?

if this has been addressed I apologize- I keep seeing in refernce to scheduling and the ccha they refer to a four team cluster, does anyone know what this is and how does it work? would the teams you are grouped with in a certain year be the teams you play 4 times?

if this has been addressed I apologize- I keep seeing in refernce to scheduling and the ccha they refer to a four team cluster, does anyone know what this is and how does it work? would the teams you are grouped with in a certain year be the teams you play 4 times?

It's three clusters of four teams each. Home-and-home with each team in your cluster gives your twelve. Two games with each team in the other two clusters makes sixteen more, for a total of 28. As to who is clustered together? That's what politics and message boards are for! :)

It's three clusters of four teams each. Home-and-home with each team in your cluster gives your twelve. Two games with each team in the other two clusters makes sixteen more, for a total of 28. As to who is clustered together? That's what politics and message boards are for! :)

Four team cluster: UND, UMD, MN, WI - won't happen but I'd like to see it.

Uh, Mr. Rocket Surgeon, sir, the University of Alaska (at Fairbanks) is in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA).

UNO's Alaska travel (to Anchorage) would be *shorter* in the WCHA.

I figured he didn't realize that UNO would still have to travel to Alaska and that is what he was chalking up the shorter travel to.

He did go to UND, after all.

1. I showed you some actual numbers in a post above. They will save money on travel and will probably make more money by increasing attendance.

2. Obviously you have no clue about the CCHA. Omaha already travels to Alaska because the University of Alaska at Fairbanks is part of the CCHA. In an earlier thread someone compared the travel for Omaha between the CCHA and WCHA. It adds up to hundreds of miles of travel which means less cost and less time on the road. Here it is again:

3. You can lose more games and still get into the NC$$ tourney if your strength of schedule is better. Plus you are better prepared to play the good teams once you get into the tourney.

4. Local fans don't need to travel. But they will also probably show up whether you are playing CCHA or WCHA. If you can attract a lot more fans traveling in to see the opposing team it can be advantageous financially.

Huge assumptions on your part that those fewer miles translate into significantly lower costs.

What they would save in travel costs would likely be eaten up in lower attandance from WCHA schools.

I guess we'll see!

Be interesting to see what UNO's nego team was able to get from the WCHA in terms of the tourny in Omaha, revenue from the tourny, etc.

would they change on a yearly basis or no? also would they maybe change our natural rival to say bsu instead of st cloud?

I think the clusters would change every year. Here's how I think the pairs will shake out...it's worth what you paid for it.

UND-BSU

UM-UW

DU-CC

UNO-UAA

MTU-UMD

SCSU-MSUM

I'm speculating on the UNO-UAA pairing based on the fact that they are paired with UAF currently, so they are prepared to handle it from a travel spend run-rate perspective.

would they change on a yearly basis or no? also would they maybe change our natural rival to say bsu instead of st cloud?

I would think they would have to change the Pods every year. I dunno. doesn't the CCHA change theirs every year?