SiouxSports.com Forum

UAF to WCHA?

GeauxSioux

If we were to keep western schools in the Western Conference, then we should take Fairbanks, Omaha and Bemidji and get rid of every school east of the Mississippi, which would include Wisconsin, Duluth and Michigan Tech. I know you aren't proposing that, but I don't think the league name should play a huge part of the equation on what school to select. Each school is no longer compensated for going to Alaska, except to be able to play a few more games, and I doubt the NCAA would allow two more games simply because you play two Alaska schools. That's my opinion and you've stated yours. As the words to the song "We just disagree" goes, "There aint no bad guys, there aint no good guys...

actually they do allow more games if you play alaska schools.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually they do allow more games if you play alaska schools.

I believe that you are limited to 2 extra games if you travel to Alaska right now. I don't know if the NC$$ would allow schools 4 extra games for traveling to Alaska in a single year whether that was 1 trip or 2.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/243958/

There is now some credibility to the theory that Omaha will apply to the WCHA. I still don't think it's nearly the done deal that some here want it to be.

Omaha has all the leverage in the world on this nego...they can basically demand that the WCHA tourny be at the Qwest every other year and there is nothing the WCHA can do about it, except say no to both Omaha in Bemidji, in which case Omaha loses nothing.

We'll see...

You can keep living in a fog if you would like.

I'm telling you right now that Omaha holds all the cards. They can rightfully demand some (at least) of the revenue of a WCHA tournament hosted in the Qwest.

WCHA might tell them to go pound sand, but then what? UNO loses nothing by staying in the CCHA.

Since when did you become and expert on the WCHA? You're another Don Adam, making sh*? up as you go.

If we were to keep western schools in the Western Conference, then we should take Fairbanks, Omaha and Bemidji and get rid of every school east of the Mississippi, which would include Wisconsin, Duluth and Michigan Tech. I know you aren't proposing that, but I don't think the league name should play a huge part of the equation on what school to select. Each school is no longer compensated for going to Alaska, except to be able to play a few more games, and I doubt the NCAA would allow two more games simply because you play two Alaska schools. That's my opinion and you've stated yours. As the words to the song "We just disagree" goes, "There aint no bad guys, there aint no good guys...

the league name is pointless. for how many years did the atlanta braves play in the national league west?

You're right...they could tell the WCHA that they don't want to join arguably the best league in college hockey from top to bottom, but would rather stay in the CCHA with a few top-end teams and loaded with duds. We'll see how far that gets them...and how long Blais sticks around!

Well that's the crux of the nego...is it worth anything to UNO to be in the WCHA on face value alone?

My centention is that UNO loses nothing by staying in the CCHA. That's certainly the hand they will play and I forsee the WCHA paying dearly if they want UNO that bad.

Well that's the crux of the nego...is it worth anything to UNO to be in the WCHA on face value alone?

My centention is that UNO loses nothing by staying in the WCHA. That's certainly the hand they will play and I forsee the WCHA paying dearly if they want UNO that bad.

Really! It's your point of advanced or maintained in a debate or argument that UNO loses nothing buy staying in the WCHA. First off UNO is in the CCHA and they are moving to the WCHA and as many have already pointed out it's almost a forgone conclusion, they are working out the final details. The actual application really is nothing more than a side show. While the two parties are in the negoation period they are dancing around and making all the right statements not to burn bridges, but come one you cant' see the messages in these statements? Moose Richards interviewed the league commish during a recent golf tourney in Bemidji, listen to what McLeod has to say. I guess you one of the only ones that can't see what is going on. The league schools told McLeod to be more proactive in finding a 12th team. Don't just assume that UNO was courted and didn't contact the WCHA.

Really! It's your point of advanced or maintained in a debate or argument that UNO loses nothing buy staying in the WCHA. First off UNO is in the CCHA and they are moving to the WCHA and as many have already pointed out it's almost a forgone conclusion, they are working out the final details. The actual application really is nothing more than a side show. While the two parties are in the negoation period they are dancing around and making all the right statements not to burn bridges, but come one you cant' see the messages in these statements? I guess you one of the only ones that can't see what is going on. The league schools told McLeod to be more proactive in finding a 12th team.

Obviously I meant to say CCHA.

The article says they are negotiating. UNO will fight to get some the WCHA tournament money when the tournament is moved periodically to Omaha.

The article says they are negotiating. UNO will fight to get some the WCHA tournament money when the tournament is moved periodically to Omaha.

The league/the current member teams is not that desperate to expand that they would modify their current revenue split at the F5 to entice UNO to join. In fact, they should point out to UNO that they instantly gain revenue by getting revenue from the F5 at the X vs. the CCHA tourney at the Joe, which is about as well attended as a HS section final in Minn. In fact, it wouldn

The advantages UNO gains by moving to the WCHA are:

1. More money (bigger pot in the Final Five Tournament).

2. Shorter travel.

3. Typically, if history is any guide, they will have a higher strength of schedule, which should lead to more at-large NCAA tournament berths.

4. Likely more home attendance as many WCHA fans travel well.

5. It will piss off MplsBison and once again demonstrate his tenuous grasp upon reality.

The tourney isn't going to be moved to Omaha there is a sweet deal with the XCEL Energy Center and FSN.

If the Tourney was/were to be moved it would be in Colorado or Wisconsin.

UNO is not going to get more money than other schools for the WCHA tourney. That money is used to operate the league, the schools don't divide it up as profits. It is possible that they could host the tourney occasionally. Geographically that would work pretty well. But the capacity may make a difference since the Xcel Energy Center holds 2,000 plus more people. The contract with Xcel is up in the next couple of years, it will be interesting to see if they will keep it there or let it move around.

UNO would gain in several ways by moving to the WCHA. First, they would save money on travel. They would average 200 or more miles per round trip in savings for conference games. That would add up to a nice chunk of change alone. Attendance at home games would probably increase in the long run because visiting fans would have an easier trip to get to Omaha. People from Grand Forks, Mankato, Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Denver and Colorado College would be within decent driving distance and Wisconsin, Duluth and Bemidji would be within potential range. How many people drive from Ann Arbor or Columbus or other CCHA cities? If you could average 1,000 extra fans per game for league games that would be 14,000 fans. Multiply that by average ticket price of $15 (I don't know what they charge but it is probably at least that) and it comes out to an increase in revenue of more than $200,000.

The other advantage is that Omaha had a league relationship with many members of the WCHA for a long time. Their fans are already familiar with UND, Mankato, St. Cloud and Duluth. They would still have the connection to Big 10 schools by swapping out Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State for Minnesota and Wisconsin. So the average fan would have at least the same level of interest in going to games if not possibly pulling in other Omaha fans that may be used to watching the Mavericks play against former NCC opponents.

5! no 7! i don't know. how many?

More like 25. Division play started in 1969 and I believe that they realigned in 1994, so from 1969-1993. And don't forget that the Dallas Cowboys have been in the National Football League East forever while the Atlanta Falcons were in the NFL West for many years.

Geographically that would work pretty well. But the capacity may make a difference since the Excel Energy Center holds 2,000 plus more people. The contract with Excel is up in the next couple of years, it will be interesting to see if they will keep it there or let it move around.

I personally don't see the league office changing the venue of the success it has had. Even in a financial down turn the xcel energy center was full of hockey fans. Every bar and hotel was filled. Not saying I wouldn't travel to Omaha, because I probably would even thought it's a little further, but the WCHA has been very successful in St Paul.

I personally don't see the league office changing the venue of the success it has had. Even in a financial down turn the xcel energy center was full of hockey fans. Every bar and hotel was filled. Not saying I wouldn't travel to Omaha, because I probably would even thought it's a little further, but the WCHA has been very successful in St Paul.

agreed, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

The contract is going to be up for negotiation in a couple of years. We don't have any idea about what the Xcel will ask for in new negotiations. They may try to get a lot more money. Or someone else may want to try and get those dates and offer a lot more money. The WCHA will look at all options. The Qwest Center has some advantages because it is within driving distance of the Colorado schools. It would take something major for the WCHA to move the tournament, but we won't know for sure until a new contract is announced.

It will piss off MplsBison and once again demonstrate his tenuous grasp upon reality.

By labeling his grasp as "tenuous", you've given him at least a 9.5 finger greater hold than actual :)

That ain't saying a while lot, the St Paul downtown bar scene is pretty weak.

The contract is going to be up for negotiation in a couple of years. We don't have any idea about what the Xcel will ask for in new negotiations. They may try to get a lot more money. Or someone else may want to try and get those dates and offer a lot more money. The WCHA will look at all options. The Qwest Center has some advantages because it is within driving distance of the Colorado schools. It would take something major for the WCHA to move the tournament, but we won't know for sure until a new contract is announced.

Lets say a gentleman's bet that the venue doesn't move. Like Siouxweet said; "agreed, if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Heck I can see the Gopher rule staying as well because they are such a money maker.

1. More money (bigger pot in the Final Five Tournament).

2. Shorter travel.

3. Typically, if history is any guide, they will have a higher strength of schedule, which should lead to more at-large NCAA tournament berths.

4. Likely more home attendance as many WCHA fans travel well.

5. It will piss off MplsBison and once again demonstrate his tenuous grasp upon reality.

1 Money is what it will come down to, of course. You say more money just by joining the WCHA, I say hogwash to that unless you show some caluclations.

2 Yeah shorter travel...to Alaska! *shakes head*

3 Come to the WCHA so you can lose more games! Yeah, that'll help you get in the NCAA tournament...

4 The reason UNO wanted to stay in the CCHA in the first place is that they have many alumns from CCHA schools in town. Fans don't need to travel.

You also vastly over estimate the travel parties of schools like St Cloud, Mankato and Duluth. UND, Minnesota, I could see it. Wisco, Denver? Mmm no.