SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA MVP....Ryan Duncan?

roper1313

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like in MLB and the NBA, MVP races generally are about numbers. Very rarely does MVP factor in value. Duncan's number are good, not great, but his value is higher than any other WHCA player...period. He's captain of a team that is going to win the WCHA regular season. He switched positions mid-season that psraked this teams current run. If you factor in all facets of what a player does FOR his team, he'd get my vote for WCHA MVP.

cut and dry... he should win it, but i think his chances are slim. brad makes excellent points about duncs, all valid, and of course all of us sioux fans know how great he is, but like oxbow said, it is a numbers game for the most part, and stoa and lasch have him there. now because they are on teams lower down on the wcha totem pole, maybe that helps duncs? it would be another deserved notch in #16's sioux helmet, but the great thing about duncs, what makes him such a great teammate and leader, is he couldn't care less about that individual award, he is a team first guy. let's hope that duncs keeps leading this team to victories on the way to #8!! GO SIOUX!!

Agree completely. The MVP is not about who the best player in the league is, or who has the best stats. It's about who has been the most valuable to their team. I think this tends to get lost throughout the year when people get caught up with the statistics. You look at some of the front runners and their teams have kind of faltered down the stretch. His leadership is second to NONE. What he's done with this team is nothing short of amazing, considering where we were at end of november/early december. And for those who look at numbers, there was a stat that showed our record on INCH a while back that gave our record when Duncan scores a point. I don't remember what it was, but it made a statement. This team will go as far as Duncan can take us. So, he'd get my vote for MVP also.

I think if you were to ask Duncan he would rather earn the Frozen Four MVP and the title that typically goes with it.

Agree but that is a different topic. Question was is he worthy of WCHA MVP? Why not get both!!

Haha, the WCH blog is probably outraged. :lol:

Nice!

Duncan is probably one of the least flashy of the great players I'll ever see. In my eyes his true value/worth is more apparent this year than it ever was playing next to Oshie and/or Toews. I used to see him more as a scorer, and this year it's a lot easier for me to appreciate just how great he is on the ice. He's a little guy but finds open space, can work on the boards, can handle the puck in tight spots, almost always finds the right place to pass the puck and rarely makes a mistake with it, kills penalties, is effective on the PP, takes defense seriously and is good at it, etc etc. And, is a very good leader (at least apparently).

Schlossman did an outstanding job of laying out a case FOR Duncan for MVP. He includes a lot of below the surface data and points of view that the casual fan usually wouldn't consider all that much when evaluating players.

We've been so fortunate to have Duncan at UND and even more fortunate to have him on the team this year. He didn't have to be here but he is. We're lucky for it.

I think Stoa from Minnesota deserves it. He really has held that team together and really kept the freshman from leaving. I mean Minnesota has play really good the second half of the season, therefore, he by far is the most deserving... :lol:

i will have to look into this a bit before picking a player. at first i wouldnt pick duncan but now looking at things he will be a guy considered, mcbain has been very impressive as well but uw and their recent decline wont help. lasch will get serious consideration with his numbers as well. throw walsky and roe in there and you have a group that one should win it. stoa has great wcha only numbers which will also put him in that group but his teams play in the last 2 months wont help him one bit

usually this is a numbers award , here are the wcha stats for those interested

wcha games stats

i will have to look into this a bit before picking a player. at first i wouldnt pick duncan but now looking at things he will be a guy considered, mcbain has been very impressive as well but uw and their recent decline wont help. lasch will get serious consideration with his numbers as well. throw walsky and roe in there and you have a group that one should win it. stoa has great wcha only numbers which will also put him in that group but his teams play in the last 2 months wont help him one bit

usually this is a numbers award , here are the wcha stats for those interested

wcha games stats

There really isn't a huge difference in points between Duncan and the guys ahead of him. Many players are deserving, but if the Sioux win the regular season title, it should be easy to overlook 6 pts. If I had to pic someone other than Duncan, Stalock from UMD would be a solid choice factoring in how they have turned this season around.

I think Stoa from Minnesota deserves it. He really has held that team together and really kept the freshman from leaving. I mean Minnesota has play really good the second half of the season, therefore, he by far is the most deserving... :angry:

More gofer bias. :lol:

There really isn't a huge difference in points between Duncan and the guys ahead of him. Many players are deserving, but if the Sioux win the regular season title, it should be easy to overlook 6 pts. If I had to pic someone other than Duncan, Stalock from UMD would be a solid choice factoring in how they have turned this season around.

If Dunc doesn't win it, I think Lasch should win it. He's really led the SCSU team and his game winner the other night at DU, clutch.

But WHEN the Sioux clinch the WCHA regular season how can you overlook there second half surge and award the Most Valuable Player to a team leader from UND?

If Dunc doesn't win it, I think Lasch should win it. He's really led the SCSU team and his game winner the other night at DU, clutch.

But WHEN the Sioux clinch the WCHA regular season how can you overlook there second half surge and award the Most Valuable Player to a team leader from UND?

Sweep the dirty badgers for Duncs! Winning the WCHA pulling away from the pack can't hurt a bit.

Wisco website has a nice splash page for Jamie McBain.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/congrats.aspx?url...amp;sportID=119

All the college writers and bloggers have beat the "look who Duncan played with" detail to death, well they should do the same thing with McBain. The Wisconsin D-corps is deep (Goloubef, McDonagh etc) on talent and they have a Senior in net which begs the question if McBain is so great why aren't the Badgers a top seed in the WCHA. A D-man has to be Carle or Leopold type good and their team more successful to win the WCHA MVP.

Depending on what transpires this weekend the only other player who has a good shot at the MVP other than Duncan is Stalock and perhaps the longshots are Rau if he can lead CC over DU this weekend and Lasch. If Stalock has a good weekend I could accept him winning as nobody expected much from UMD this season and he is the main reason that UMD is in the mix to host a first round playoff series.