SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ SIU-E

UND92,96

The ladies are playing some good basketball shorthanded. Nice game for Kimbrough. We will really miss her and Guinn. I know they are having a tournament next weekend, and it's no use to think "if only", but I noticed on a D-II site that Mankato State is ranked #1 in the nation and Seattle-Pacific is in the top 10. I really think we would have had a great chance of making it to the elite 8, it really makes it hard to get excited about the next few years. I can only imagine how it is for the athletes, especially the seniors. I hope they make the tournament special for the players AND the fans. I realize that if we are making the change it has to happen at some time...I'm just not sure it was the right decision for ALL of the sports.

The ladies are playing some good basketball shorthanded. Nice game for Kimbrough. We will really miss her and Guinn. I know they are having a tournament next weekend, and it's no use to think "if only", but I noticed on a D-II site that Mankato State is ranked #1 in the nation and Seattle-Pacific is in the top 10. I really think we would have had a great chance of making it to the elite 8, it really makes it hard to get excited about the next few years. I can only imagine how it is for the athletes, especially the seniors. I hope they make the tournament special for the players AND the fans. I realize that if we are making the change it has to happen at some time...I'm just not sure it was the right decision for ALL of the sports.

Although I've been a proponent of the dI move for a couple of years, women's basketball was the one sport I had reservations about, because we had such a good thing going in dII. But I have actually enjoyed this season more than I thought I would. And much to my surprise, attendance is actually higher this year, even with the inevitably weak home schedule that every transitioning program must endure. Starting next year, we should actually have a few recognizable dI schools coming to Grand Forks, and that should add another level of excitement to the program. SDSU has shown that a team from the Dakota's can enjoy great success at the dI level. Hopefully we can eventually approach that level in three or four years.

A tournament is a crapshoot unless one has an extraordinarily dominant team. SDSU in their transition was so dominant it probably would have been DII champions every year of their transition if the rules allowed.

Some of the schools that transitioned right before or with us are doing extremely well in women's basketball. Florida Gulf Coast especially (#88), but also Seattle (178), Cal St- Bakersfield (148), and Kennesaw State (191) all would have very strong DII teams - according to the all Divisions Massey ratings. This year, UND women's (now #210) team seems to be peaking at the right time, as the early season travel has abated and the early difficult schedule has paid off as it seems they've learned a faster rhythm to take their play to another level. Those ratings show Mankato State (#170), Alaska Anchorage (#222) and Seattle Pacific (#230) as current DII favorites.

A tournament is a crapshoot unless one has an extraordinarily dominant team. SDSU in their transition was so dominant it probably would have been DII champions every year of their transition if the rules allowed.

Some of the schools that transitioned right before or with us are doing extremely well in women's basketball. Florida Gulf Coast especially (#88), but also Seattle (178), Cal St- Bakersfield (148), and Kennesaw State (191) all would have very strong DII teams - according to the all Divisions Massey ratings. This year, UND women's (now #210) team seems to be peaking at the right time, as the early season travel has abated and the early difficult schedule has paid off as it seems they've learned a faster rhythm to take their play to another level. Those ratings show Mankato State (#170), Alaska Anchorage (#222) and Seattle Pacific (#230) as current DII favorites.

The Massey rating are something to spark discusion thats it: we would spank Mankato as we always did and we just hammered Seattle so throw those # out they really mean nothing.

The Massey rating are something to spark discusion thats it: we would spank Mankato as we always did and we just hammered Seattle so throw those # out they really mean nothing.

There are a number of teams ranked ahead of us by Massey that I think UND would beat more often than not, including Lamar (UND won by 14), Seattle (lost by 1 on road and won by 19 at home), Northern Iowa (lost at USD), Mankato and NDSU (that last one should generate some discussion :( ).