SiouxSports.com Forum

Injuries 08-09

the green team

It was reported last night on WDAZ that Whitney Ledger, may have suffered a season ending knee injury in practice. She has tests done today. This has been a truly crazy year in regards to injuries. I'm hoping for the best in regards to Whits knee-it would be nice to recieve some good news for a change, when it comes to injuries.

It was reported last night on WDAZ that Whitney Ledger, may have suffered a season ending knee injury in practice. She has tests done today. This has been a truly crazy year in regards to injuries. I'm hoping for the best in regards to Whits knee-it would be nice to recieve some good news for a change, when it comes to injuries.

This is terrible news for Whitney and the team. I only hope the news today is better for her. If not, this reduces the bench to 3??? Hopfully this is the end of injuries for this season!

If Ledger isn't ready to go by the start of next season, I wonder who would be the most likely to start in the post--Jenna Gillett, Shyla Kuehl or Katie Houdek?

Unfortunately, I am not sure if any of them are good alternatives. Not that they won't be good players but they certainly would have little experience.

Unfortunately, I am not sure if any of them are good alternatives. Not that they won't be good players but they certainly would have little experience.

The other alternative is simply to go without a traditional post. It worked pretty well for USD last season. In any event, I don't think there's much question that next year's fortunes are going to depend in large part on how much the freshmen are able to contribute. When you combine the losses of Kimbrough and Guinn, plus the uncertain status of Ledger, Privatsky and LaFrance, some of the freshmen will need to play pretty big roles immediately.

I wonder how serious Ledger's injury is. Roebuck said on the coach's show tonight (without offering a name obviously) that they still have one scholarship available for next year, and that they are looking at JC player who stands 6'5".

He also said that he is hopeful that Privratsky will be able to play next season. But if not, they have what he said is a very capable point guard coming in who is expected to be a walk-on. If Privratsky is ready, they may redshirt the walk-on.

Anyone have any ideas as to who these two players may be?

I wonder how serious Ledger's injury is. Roebuck said on the coach's show tonight (without offering a name obviously) that they still have one scholarship available for next year, and that they are looking at JC player who stands 6'5".

He also said that he is hopeful that Privratsky will be able to play next season. But if not, they have what he said is a very capable point guard coming in who is expected to be a walk-on. If Privratsky is ready, they may redshirt the walk-on.

I'm guessing this is Kate Sharkova from Lake Region. She's listed at 6'5", and averages 15 points and 10 rebounds per game.

I'm guessing this is Kate Sharkova from Lake Region. She's listed at 6'5", and averages 15 points and 10 rebounds per game.

I would guess you are correct about Sharkova but it would be surprising to me that a "very capable point guard" at the DI level wouldn't have a scholarship offer from someone. I hope that is fact!

Is it possible Roebuck was talking about Brittany Peterson, the Iowa guard who apparently committed right after the close of the early signing period? Since she couldn't actually sign a LOI until spring, Roebuck can't mention her by name (not that she'd sign if she's a walk-on). On the other hand, it's hard to believe she'd be a walk-on given her credentials.

Is it possible Roebuck was talking about Brittany Peterson, the Iowa guard who apparently committed right after the close of the early signing period? Since she couldn't actually sign a LOI until spring, Roebuck can't mention her by name (not that she'd sign if she's a walk-on). On the other hand, it's hard to believe she'd be a walk-on given her credentials.

You make a good point, I bet that is who he was talking about. As she hadn't signed, he can't mention her name. She must be getting scholarship $ though.

I'm guessing Kate Sharkova, currently a second-year, 6'5" post player at Lake Region in Devils Lake.

• 2 weeks later...
Pretty athletic, not physical. A legit 6'5 and left handed. Will not be an impact player in DI but could certainly help.

I believe Roebuck was in attendance last Wednesday night when Sharkova had 23 points and 18 boards against Williston. It sounds like she could provide some needed insurance if Ledger isn't completely recovered, and would possibly allow for the red-shirting of the freshmen posts.

I believe Roebuck was in attendance last Wednesday night when Sharkova had 23 points and 18 boards against Williston. It sounds like she could provide some needed insurance if Ledger isn't completely recovered, and would possibly allow for the red-shirting of the freshmen posts.

Insurance would be a fair description of her. She is 6'5 but she is no Crouse, Langen, or Kimbrough.

Insurance would be a fair description of her. She is 6'5 but she is no Crouse, Langen, or Kimbrough.

Although I believe UND will have a pretty good team next year, it will be strange (probably) not having a really good low-post scorer. From 1992-93 to 2008-09, there was really only one year without such a player.