SiouxSports.com Forum

Counter Protest

dagies

Ah, if this doesn't belong here I will understand if it gets moved..

Last time at Mariucci in early Jan there was a bit of a protest about the Sioux nickname.

We've hashed this out before but there was one guy specifically who sticks out in my mind.  He held up a photo of the new Sioux logo and said "think about it".  He apparently wanted to direct my thinking that there must be something wrong with the logo.  When I asked him if he knew the logo had been designed by an American Indian for the University he had little to say.

What I wished is that I had the information about the logo that Ben Brien had provided which explained the symbolism within the logo.  I expect there will be more protests this weekend.  I am thinking about making up my own "counter-protest" packet to hand out to the protestors with some of this kind of information on it.

I was wondering if our "librarian/historian" Sicatoka might be able to point me to this item that I mentioned above.

Plus, if anyone else has useful and constructive ideas on information that might be of interest to protestors who really do have an open mind, I would like to hear your suggestions.

I'm not organizing any sort of demonstration, and I don't plan to get into arguments or confrontations or debates of the issues with any protestors, but to have 25 of these with me to pass out to them on my way into the building might be handy.

Again, thanks for any ideas.  Please make sure they are legit, reasonable, verifiable (I.e. something a skeptical protestor would be able to find independantly if they were thinking that I or someone else made it up), and support the Sioux nickname or counter the arguments that the anti-crowd supports.

Thanks.  I'll see if I have the time this week to get stuff together.

First,

http://www.UND.nodak.edu/news/symbol.html

Next, point out that if the logo is so offensive, why'd the American Indian artist who made it sign it? Look at the right most feather in that link. If you rotate the logo so that feather is at the top you can see "B BRIEN" in quilling of that feather. That "N," that's no anomaly. That's his signing the work. It's carried over in both the Gemini jerseys and the granite in REA. Look for yourself.

And pick up a copy of this week's Sports Illustrated (with the skater on the cover). Nice article pointing out how 81% of non-reservation American Indians do NOT believe that monikers like Seminoles and Sioux are a source or basis of discrimination. If they don't know, who does?

Perhaps, Dagies, you should ask what the protesters intend to do about the poverty, alcoholism, unemployment and health problems that are endemic among many Indians.  But then again bringing realism into their "rose colored" world probably won't have any impact.   ;)  :)

Next, point out that if the logo is so offensive, why'd the American Indian artist who made it sign it? Look at the right most feather in that link. If you rotate the logo so that feather is at the top you can see "B BRIEN" in quilling of that feather. That "N," that's no anomaly. That's his signing the work. It's carried over in both the Gemini jerseys and the granite in REA. Look for yourself.

That's neat!  I never noticed that before.

The GF Herald's view on this didn't come through either, did it?

whew.

thanks!

You mean their pro-name change and making Leah Jenoette (sp), the guy is an idiot first thing he brings up is oh they didn't ask the right questions. Yesh...

I got quoted by  http://www.UND-Fraud.com the other day for my response to some idiot from UMD that made fun of the name.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

I went to the Holiday station to pick up a copy of the Sarah Hughes SI.  They had the Swimsuit issue.  While attractive, it was not what I was looking for.  

They mentioned that they would not be getting the new issue until next monday.

Does the newstand issue come out later than the subscription?  I.E. do I need to find someone who gets the subscription or are the employees at my local gas station ill informed?  I would like a copy of this article by Friday.  If the newstand issue is out just let me know and I'll go somewhere else.

I drove around to about 10 different places in TRF and could not find it on the rack anywhere. I finally was able to read it at my in-laws, where my wife's brother has a subscription still being paid for by mom and dad. (that's another story)

I didn't see it at Target or Wal-Mart in Grand Forks, either.

I picked up a copy (Sarah on the cover) on Monday at "Big Cigs" (the valley dairy store on north 5th by the Dairy Queen) - they had one copy left - you could try the valley dairy "News Stand" on the east side of S. Washington (across from the Simonson gas station) they usually carry more copies of SI.  Did you try the GF Public library?  You wouldn't be able to "check it out" but you could use their copier to copy the sections you need.  Good Luck.

Thanks all.  Finally found an issue at Borders by Ridgedale.

However, I am not hearing hide nor hair of a protest.  No matter.

I will put my materials together and I will have them for next year if necessary.

I read the SI article.  It really is quite good, I think, and pretty well balanced.  Naturally I would think that because I believe it supports my own feelings on the matter fairly closely.

Ok, I'm all ready.  25 copies ready to hand out.

1.  Copy of the SI article

2.  Copy of the Logo and Ben Brien's explanations of the symbolism

3.  Excerpts from several articles with quotes from ppl like Erik Enno, Ben Brien, etc

4.  Links to all the sources for the skeptical to verify.

5.  A few pages printed off the UND web page regarding Native American programs and opportunities.

Now all I need is someone to protest...........