SiouxSports.com Forum

Why the lock?

sioux fan in phoenix

I was wondering why the administrator put a lock on the thread, "Schools to decide whether to use nicknames" in the Sioux Name forum. No one ever complained, at least publicly.

People were discussing various aspects of Political Correctness, a belief system held by left-wing ideologues & the same group behind the name change.

How should we have discussed this topic? By quoting recent Herald articles & nothing more? It's difficult to discuss an emotionally-charged topic & not give one's personal opinions at the same time. Besides, a good # of posts on this board are opinions & not just cold hard facts. Removing the political theme from that thread devalues it as the heart of the matter isn't being addressed: the group behind this name change.

All the more reason for a separate chat forum where like-minded people can share their sentiments on a variety of current events.

Politics was introduced into that thread by discussing "pc" attitudes among various politicians and that actually did loosely relate to the Sioux name topic. It was only the last few posts, which were simply analyses of other positions/attributes of various public officials/candidates, that veered completely away from the topic of "Sioux Name". Despite the desire among some for an unmoderated forum (interest in which is being monitored and considered), that is currently not one.

Normally, moderate deviation is perfectly acceptable and there is a lot of leeway in what topics are "of interest" or "related to" the forum topic (see Hockey); further, the Sioux Name forum does include a lot more political discussion than would be allowed in any other forum. However, when a thread devolves into flamewars or pure politics, it is usually entirely off-topic. Historically in other forums, those two topics take over a forum and it becomes uninteresting to the other 90% (again, monitor USCHO Fan Forum for a few days for good examples).

• 2 weeks later...
The Sioux Name forum does include a lot more political discussion than would be allowed in any other forum. However, when a thread devolves into flamewars or pure politics, it is usually entirely off-topic.

To the Moderator: The whole debate behind changing the name is a poltical agenda, so in esence the argument is purely political. Its about pro-name versus anti-name.

A very small number of people on the left (left wing extremists, Hoff, Means, et el) are trying to get the majority of people the Pro-name crowd to change to the fighting Sioux name. You can't get anymore political than that.

So in essence in what you were saying is you didn't like the message and decided to shoot the messenger...

I think you pulled the plug a little prematurely, but hey what ever.

Att-i-ca, Att-i-ca!! :glare:

Goon, you've got a good point. It's difficult to discuss any aspect of this topic without delving into politics. But I think the moderator has issues with people discussing pure politics that don't pertain to the Sioux name controversy; in other words, he didn't see a link between Howard Dean & the namechangers :huh:

That's why I proposed a separate chat forum last month wherein we could discuss topics like these.

Att-i-ca, Att-i-ca!! :glare:

Goon, you've got a good point. It's difficult to discuss any aspect of this topic without delving into politics. But I think the moderator has issues with people discussing pure politics that don't pertain to the Sioux name controversy; in other words, he didn't see a link between Howard Dean & the namechangers :huh:

Actually I see both sides of this issue. But I think A guy like Dean would have a lot of the same views as the Name change crowd...

An anything goes forum would be fun like USCHO cafe...

It would probably be okay to discuss Howard Dean in the Sioux name forum as long as it's in the context of how a possible Dean Administration might affect the Sioux name (in the Department of Justice, Dept. of Education, etc.). When it delves into his stance on guns, same-sex unions, etc. it becomes entirely off-topic. I don't fault anyone for straying off topic because I'm guilty of it myself. It's hard not to sometimes.

When threads go astray, I'm okay with them being locked.

An anything goes forum would be fun like USCHO cafe...

Goon:

Don't know if you're aware of it or not, but over the last 6 weeks or so a couple others & I were advocating such a forum where a variety of topics could be discussed. That thread is called Forum expansion & it's in this very forum, Administrative. Haven't heard any feedback from the moderator lately & the closer we get to hockey season the less likely it'll be approved, imo ( Why? There's a better chance something like this would get approved in the summer when everyone's bored--not during the hockey season when most posters are preoccupied with hockey & nothing else)...

It would be fun, though, & would add another dimension to this board by making it more appealing to a greater cross section of people. Example: An alum living in CA may have no interest in Sioux athletics but may want to correspond with other area residents about current events or other topics. That isn't possible right now with the current format...