SiouxSports.com Forum

UND, NDSU, & the Legislature

SiouxCrew11

I was just looking at the WIKI page for our schedule next year and correct me if i'm wrong but i was under the impression that potatobowl weekend was going to be UND vs. Idaho St. in the alerus?;)

Also i have heard from a friend in Fargo and UND and NDSU are engaging in serious talks about a potential September 12th football game now that we will be a counter. Exciting but I'm not getting my hopes up....

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just looking at the WIKI page for our schedule next year and correct me if i'm wrong but i was under the impression that potatobowl weekend was going to be UND vs. Idaho St. in the alerus?;)

Also i have heard from a friend in Fargo and UND and NDSU are engaging in serious talks about a potential September 12th football game now that we will be a counter. Exciting but I'm not getting my hopes up....

To good to be true? That game would sell out in seconds if thats correct.

See POST #406 in this same thread.

That would be a surprise considering Muss is on record saying he doesn't want a one year only deal.

That would be a surprise considering Muss is on record saying he doesn't want a one year only deal.

He did say that, but Mussman will not have the final word.

They should be playing every year if they're going to restart the series.

They should, but it may take a one-year deal before NDSU officials would be even dare to consider scheduling a long-term home-and-home agreement with UND. I can't even imagine the wrath they'd face from their hard-core supporters if they came out of the gate with a long term home-and-home.

The reality is that most of UND's DI road games have been one-year deals anyway. It's not like one more would be out of the question. The reason I don't think it will happen is that UND already has six road games scheduled for 2009. I can't imagine UND scheduling seven road games in one season, but then again, next year is so far from the ordinary that you never know. Fun to talk about, but I seriously doubt the rumor is true.

I highly doubt it is going to happen, the Bison have nothing to gain by playing us.

As I have stated before, all of this momentum and hype they built up over the last 5 years would be completely gone with a loss to us in our second year of the transition. The have told their fan base how much better they are now and how much better the competition is now, which is true. But, a loss to an 'inferior' team who happens to be their biggest rival ( ;) ) would be devestating to their entire program. Their would be a full city wide suicide watch in Fargo.

With that being said, if the game was played NDSU should win without a doubt but Gene Taylor is not dumb enough to take that chance. Also, the other reasons with the nickname, etc.

I highly doubt it is going to happen, the Bison have nothing to gain by playing us.

As I have stated before, all of this momentum and hype they built up over the last 5 years would be completely gone with a loss to us in our second year of the transition. The have told their fan base how much better they are now and how much better the competition is now, which is true. But, a loss to an 'inferior' team who happens to be their biggest rival ( ;) ) would be devestating to their entire program. Their would be a full city wide suicide watch in Fargo.

With that being said, if the game was played NDSU should win without a doubt but Gene Taylor is not dumb enough to take that chance. Also, the other reasons with the nickname, etc.

Taylor has plenty of excuses to use, but he couldn't hide behind the nickname. The MVFC has made no public policy announcement that I've heard of regarding UND's nickname. I'm sure we'd have heard of it last week if they had some policy in place.

Taylor has plenty of excuses to use, but he couldn't hide behind the nickname. The MVFC has made no public policy announcement that I've heard of regarding UND's nickname. I'm sure we'd have heard of it last week if they had some policy in place.

You are correct, sir. The proper excuse for football is: "Gee, it's too difficult to schedule because of our conference schedule." (Meanwhile, two dates remain open on their schedule even for next year.)

"The conference won't let us do it because of your nickname" is the proper excuse for all other sports. ;)

He did say that, but Mussman will not have the final word.

They should, but it may take a one-year deal before NDSU officials would be even dare to consider scheduling a long-term home-and-home agreement with UND. I can't even imagine the wrath they'd face from their hard-core supporters if they came out of the gate with a long term home-and-home.

The reality is that most of UND's DI road games have been one-year deals anyway. It's not like one more would be out of the question. The reason I don't think it will happen is that UND already has six road games scheduled for 2009. I can't imagine UND scheduling seven road games in one season, but then again, next year is so far from the ordinary that you never know. Fun to talk about, but I seriously doubt the rumor is true.

Fargo ND is basically a home game for UND fans.

They can either drive <1 hour on the interstate or watch the game on statewide TV.

Would you rather play NDSU in the Fargodome or have Sioux Falls come to the Alerus?

They can either drive <1 hour on the interstate or watch the game on statewide TV.

Would you rather play NDSU in the Fargodome or have Sioux Falls come to the Alerus?

UND needs home games, so I don't think we'd be in a position to dump Sioux Falls this year. However, I would be interested to know the buy-out for the Stephen F. Austin contract. That's a one-game deal, and if it's not in the $100k-plus range, that may be an option to more or less exchange them for NDSU (not in terms of the date, but in terms of keeping the schedule at six road games). My proposal would be: UND and NDSU split the cost of the SFA buy-out, and NDSU pays UND whatever the going rate is in Fargo these days for a non-conference one-game contract. Not that either side would necessarily agree to that, but IMO UND simply can't have a schedule with seven road games.

I think the only way the game happens is if UND agrees to playing in Fargo in 2009 and 2010(With NDSU going up to GF in 2011 and after that it goes back to how it always was). Lets say NDSU even agrees to throw in the typical 60-100k garauntee for coming to Fargo twice.

I know some won't like that, and I wouldn't like it if the roles were reversed but in my mind that is what it would take. That said, if it gets NDSU back on the schedules for all sports, maybe it is worth it.

UND needs home games, so I don't think we'd be in a position to dump Sioux Falls this year. However, I would be interested to know the buy-out for the Stephen F. Austin contract. That's a one-game deal, and if it's not in the $100k-plus range, that may be an option to more or less exchange them for NDSU (not in terms of the date, but in terms of keeping the schedule at six road games). My proposal would be: UND and NDSU split the cost of the SFA buy-out, and NDSU pays UND whatever the going rate is in Fargo these days for a non-conference one-game contract. Not that either side would necessarily agree to that, but IMO UND simply can't have a schedule with seven road games.

Well I'm saying that this wouldn't really count as a road game. So you'd still have 6 road games.

I think you'll want to keep both Southland road games. Southland has been very good about scheduling the Dakota State schools in transition.

I think the only way the game happens is if UND agrees to playing in Fargo in 2009 and 2010(With NDSU going up to GF in 2011 and after that it goes back to how it always was). Lets say NDSU even agrees to throw the typical 60-100k garauntee for coming to Fargo twice.

I know some won't like that, and I wouldn't like it if the roles were reversed but in my mind that is what it would take. That said, if it gets NDSU back on the schedules for all sports, maybe it is worth it.

Yeah that sounds probably about right to "bury the hatchet" among most die hard NDSU fans.

There are some who will piss and moan and threaten not to come to games, but they'll be there.

I think the only way the game happens is if UND agrees to playing in Fargo in 2009 and 2010(With NDSU going up to GF in 2011 and after that it goes back to how it always was). Lets say NDSU even agrees to throw the typical 60-100k garauntee for coming to Fargo twice.

I wouldn't have a problem with that, as long as the buy-out on the 2011 game was so big that it would virtually guarantee that the game happens.

Yes, Fargo is close, but it's still a road game no matter how you look at it. I don't think any program wants seven road games on their schedule.

With only three home games scheduled, UND is not going to get rid of the Sioux Falls game regardless of whether NDSU is on the schedule. In fact, UND could schedule another home game and an away game with NDSU, for a 4 home, 7 away schedule. The question for UND fans is would you rather have a 4/7 home-away split with one of the away games being NDSU, or a 5/6 split (assuming UND is even able to get two more home games at this point).

I fully agree. With scheduling as difficult as it is, UND needs all the good-will it can get.

I agree to a point, but now that we're a counter, I really don't like the idea of entering into one-game, road-only contracts to play FCS opponents. I can only assume our administration felt like they had no choice, but this needs to be the last time we do this IMO. I doubt we'll ever see SFA or SE Louisiana come here.

Just curious why you would think NDSU would even consider this?

Just curious why you would think NDSU would even consider this?

Realistically, I don't. Nor do I expect UND would consider playing seven road games in one year. But hypothetically, if such a game were to take place, something strange would have to happen. Hence, my somewhat off-the-wall proposal. Personally, I don't think there's much of a chance for this game to take place in 2009. And I'm fine with that.