SiouxSports.com Forum

Woodburned Sioux Logo

BigGreyAnt41

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought some people might enjoy it.

I got a beginner woodburning kit a couple months ago and when I finally cracked it open I decided to try out burning a Sioux logo. It's rather complex to try as a first try at this hobby, but it's a really cool logo. It didn't turn out perfect, but hey, it was my first try!

It wasn't done free hand, but I printed out a black and white copy of the logo, and traced it on using the supplied (with the kit) carbon paper. After that it was just following the lines, then filling it in.

Here it is before I filled it in: http://sugarwill.com/projects/logo/100_0381.JPG

100_0384_small.jpg

That's really nice. I don't think you should apologize for it not being freehand. I certainly wouldn't freehand something like that. Good job. I'm jealous. Might have to go buy me one of those woodburning sets!

Did you purchase the wood or did you get that yourself, and if so how do you avoid it cracking?

That's really nice. I don't think you should apologize for it not being freehand. I certainly wouldn't freehand something like that. Good job. I'm jealous. Might have to go buy me one of those woodburning sets!

Did you purchase the wood or did you get that yourself, and if so how do you avoid it cracking?

I actually got the whole thing as a kit. It came with two slices of wood, the woodburner, a sheet of paper with some patterns and a peice of carbon paper to transfer the patterns to the wood.

If you head over to Michaels they might have the kit. Otherwise I know they have woodburners (with a variety of tips, somewhere between $15 and $40) and an assortment of slices of wood (already cut, dried and sanded). It's a very cheap hobby to get involved in.

My only recommendation from my oh-so-extensive knowledge of the hobby is that if you can afford to spend a couple extra bucks on a better burner, definitely go for it. You'd get a hotter iron so it will burn more easily (or maybe even an adjustable one, i really have no idea). Plus I can only imagine if you spend a bit more the handle might be insulated a bit more. I actually have to wear a glove after a little bit because my hand gets so hot.

I've already got the logo for the Minnesota Wild traced onto the other slice of wood that came with the kit. I'll probably try that one out tomorrow.

I actually got the whole thing as a kit. It came with two slices of wood, the woodburner, a sheet of paper with some patterns and a peice of carbon paper to transfer the patterns to the wood.

If you head over to Michaels they might have the kit. Otherwise I know they have woodburners (with a variety of tips, somewhere between $15 and $40) and an assortment of slices of wood (already cut, dried and sanded). It's a very cheap hobby to get involved in.

My only recommendation from my oh-so-extensive knowledge of the hobby is that if you can afford to spend a couple extra bucks on a better burner, definitely go for it. You'd get a hotter iron so it will burn more easily (or maybe even an adjustable one, i really have no idea). Plus I can only imagine if you spend a bit more the handle might be insulated a bit more. I actually have to wear a glove after a little bit because my hand gets so hot.

I've already got the logo for the Minnesota Wild traced onto the other slice of wood that came with the kit. I'll probably try that one out tomorrow.

Let us know how that one turns out. The Sioux one sure looks good though! Nice work.

Let us know how that one turns out. The Sioux one sure looks good though! Nice work.

Just finished. I don't like this one as much because of the giant black area at the bottom. The Sioux logo works better because it's more about lines and accents. I think in the future for large areas I'm going to try to figure out how to make it look like a solid shaded area rather than an area that's colored in, if that makes any sense.

100_0387_small.jpg