SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux v. Mary

bincitysioux

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always hope for good things to come from the basketball team and pay attention to their games on here. Granted I hope every sport at UND does good but I enjoy college basketball and if someday, somehow we could even squeek into the NCAA tournament even in the play in game I would do my best to be in attendence because that would be a memorable experience. Good luck to the team for the rest of the season.

I've said it countless times, but will repeat -- I've generally supported the D-I move, and think it provides a great opportunity for football, but the sport with the greatest potential for magnitude of impact is men's basketball. Get a qualifying conference affiliation and win the conference and the gentlemen are in the biggest collegiate sporting event in the nation.

I hope to be able to leverage the transition to help raise the profile of the sport, but the guys can sure help by continuing to put up a good event.

Oh, and hold on to the lead guys. :lol:

I've said it countless times, but will repeat -- I've generally supported the D-I move, and think it provides a great opportunity for football, but the sport with the greatest potential for magnitude of impact is men's basketball. Get a qualifying conference affiliation and win the conference and the gentlemen are in the biggest collegiate sporting event in the nation.

I hope to be able to leverage the transition to help raise the profile of the sport, but the guys can sure help by continuing to put up a good event.

Oh, and hold on to the lead guys. :D

I couldn't agree more. If the evil ones 75 miles upstream get out of the Summit this March, we'll see this first-hand.

And nice win! :lol:

This is the kind of game the Sioux would have lost 5 years ago. Nice to see the guys winning them now.

Go Sioux!!

Agreed. Just 2 seasons ago in Jone's first season, UND lost 17 games. 12 of them were by an average of 3.5 points. It is nice to see progress being made. 6 of their 9 wins this year have been real nail-biters.

This is the kind of game the Sioux would have lost 5 years ago. Nice to see the guys winning them now.

Go Sioux!!

But you are playing a 3-10 D2 team at home?? :lol: I would hope they would win this game. Saw UND play VCSU at home and it was just poor basketball played by a poorly coached team. I haven't followed UND closely since but from what I witnessed in that game this team/program is talent poor player and coaching wise.

But you are playing a 3-10 D2 team at home?? :lol: I would hope they would win this game. Saw UND play VCSU at home and it was just poor basketball played by a poorly coached team. I haven't followed UND closely since but from what I witnessed in that game this team/program is talent poor player and coaching wise.

I agree. People are sure getting desperate when a win like this gets them excited. Set your standards a little higher people. Sioux basketball fans are excited about a narrow win over Univ of Mary. Bison fans get excited about wins over teams like Marquette and Wisconsin.

I agree. People are sure getting desperate when a win like this gets them excited. Set your standards a little higher people. Sioux basketball fans are excited about a narrow win over Univ of Mary. Bison fans get excited about wins over teams like Marquette and Wisconsin.

Also time for the SU folk to get over the Wisconsin and Marquette wins. It was a while ago and a different guy was leading the pack. Focus on the Summit.

Also time for the SU folk to get over the Wisconsin and Marquette wins. It was a while ago and a different guy was leading the pack. Focus on the Summit.

That is pretty bold and brash when you look at the product that UND has put on the court the past couple years.

I'm excited because a win is a win. And it was an entertaining game. Sure, it was Mary, but it is not like UND has been a DI power that has fallen on hard times. We were in the same division as Mary last year. Right now we are a DI team with mostly DII players. Yet we've played well against a couple of DI opponents, and beaten every non-DI team except Southwest St., and they are a pretty quality team from maybe the best conference in DII. The same conference that Mary plays in. In reality, this team is right where I thought it would be at this point. And that is pretty good considering we lost our two best overall players from the last two seasons and our most effective post player.

I admit I also get very frustrated by the Jeckyl & Hyde syndrome that seems to plague this team. Beat DI UMKC in the opener on the road, then lose at home to an NSIC. Then give high-major Texas A&M all that they want, but that performance is sandwiched between OT games with Minot and Mary.

But really, why can't we get excited when the basketball team beats Mary? We get excited when the hockey team eeks past Bemidji in OT. :lol:

But really, why can't we get excited when the basketball team beats Mary? We get excited when the hockey team eeks past Bemidji in OT. :)

You really want to make that comparison? :D BSU is a D1 program like UND in hockey. BSU has made the national tourney in hockey as of late and has given some top seeds a run before falling short. Get excited about a win over Mary? You can if you want, but the reality is in the product on the floor. And I won't even get into the coaching aspect... :lol:

You really want to make that comparison? :lol: BSU is a D1 program like UND in hockey.

Yes they are. I brought it up just to point out that as a fan, I can get excited when the hockey team beats a rather lack-luster opponent. I can also get excited when the basketball team beats a rather lack-luster opponent.

It just frustrates me that some seem to feel the need to rip on the basketball team and coaching staff for not destroying any non-DI teams we play. I will definately concede that we should not struggle like we have against DAC schools. Their play in those games has been extremely frustrating. Of course I would like to see the team dominate Valley City or Minot, but the bottom line is the team is winning these non-DI games, albeit in ugly fashion.

If the argument is UND is DI, so they should destroy Mary, I think alot of factors are being ignored. Like the fact that UND has been DI for about 3 months, not 60 years.

While I believe we probably should be a little better than we are right now, nearly all of the players who are actually playing this year are juniors and seniors, meaning not only will they not be around much longer, they weren't really recruited to be dI players. I would expect to see improvement next year when we add this year's red-shirt class, plus Chris Clausen and perhaps the Schuler kid if he doesn't red-shirt, to the mix. If we don't see some reason for optimism this time next year, I'll be surprised and a bit disappointed.

That is pretty bold and brash when you look at the product that UND has put on the court the past couple years.

I don't think its bold at all. I'm not comparing our product to NDSU's in any way shape or form. NDSU is much better than UND right now. I just don't want any one from NDSU coming over here and continually reminding us how you beat Wisconsin and Marquette 2 and 3 years ago. Talk about the past @ Bisonville, not here. UND board, remember!!

If the argument is UND is DI, so they should destroy Mary, I think alot of factors are being ignored. Like the fact that UND has been DI for about 3 months, not 60 years.

UND played a D3 FB team from WI at home this year. You don't think questions/concerns would have been raised if they would have only won by a FG or a TD? The fact is the D1 process has been in place more than 3 months and subsequently there should be some talent in place so that we don't have to bank in a 3 at the buzzer to beat the likes of VCSU!

I don't think its bold at all. I'm not comparing our product to NDSU's in any way shape or form. NDSU is much better than UND right now. I just don't want any one from NDSU coming over here and continually reminding us how you beat Wisconsin and Marquette 2 and 3 years ago. Talk about the past @ Bisonville, not here. UND board, remember!!

Read my last post above. Agree this a Sioux site but to make light of 2 huge wins, that we probably won't see for 5+ yrs, by another U that was also in transition is bold, brash and maybe a little ignorant. It is what it is. And until our men's BB program resembles a D1 team, I'd keep your stones in your pocket!

While I believe we probably should be a little better than we are right now, nearly all of the players who are actually playing this year are juniors and seniors, meaning not only will they not be around much longer, they weren't really recruited to be dI players. I would expect to see improvement next year when we add this year's red-shirt class, plus Chris Clausen and perhaps the Schuler kid if he doesn't red-shirt, to the mix. If we don't see some reason for optimism this time next year, I'll be surprised and a bit disappointed.

Well said.

Not to mention most of those 5 players are on the court right now. And considering the Summit standings, it seems they have no problem with focus. I hope UND is learning something.

UND played a D3 FB team from WI at home this year. You don't think questions/concerns would have been raised if they would have only won by a FG or a TD? The fact is the D1 process has been in place more than 3 months and subsequently there should be some talent in place so that we don't have to bank in a 3 at the buzzer to beat the likes of VCSU!

It should also be pointed out (to the pollyanna apologists for the BBall program) that 15 years ago, people would have laughed if you said Mary and Valley City State could hang with UND in a game. This really changed towards the end of the Glas years. Jones has done nothing to improve this. True UND was DII just last year, but they were a big DII with a nice facility. The current product is horrible.

The Bemidji State hockey example is laughable too. Bemidji State is a team that could play ANY DI hockey program in the nation, and hang with them (not win, but be in the game). The same can't be said for teams like Mary or Valley City if they played a Big Ten team, etc.

It should also be pointed out (to the pollyanna apologists for the BBall program) that 15 years ago, people would have laughed if you said Mary and Valley City State could hang with UND in a game. This really changed towards the end of the Glas years. Jones has done nothing to improve this. True UND was DII just last year, but they were a big DII with a nice facility. The current product is horrible.

The Bemidji State hockey example is laughable too. Bemidji State is a team that could play ANY DI hockey program in the nation, and hang with them (not win, but be in the game). The same can't be said for teams like Mary or Valley City if they played a Big Ten team, etc.

I totally agree with you here. I understand "a win is a win" concept, but is it really when you are having to rally to beat DAC teams? My biggest issue with what I've seen the last couple years isn't the talent, even though I thought there would be better talent at this stage, it's the system and the coaching. Like I've said in a previous thread, when I was at the VCSU game I couldn't believe UND sat back in a ZONE until 4 minutes left. I know we don't have the horses of a Big Ten school, but come on, we had better athletes than VCSU and we played ZONE. That is ND Class B stuff. VCSU was in that game because we played zone and that is a tactical/coaching problem.

He's playing zone because it's part of the Princeton system that they're installing (motion, back-door cuts, team play, and zone defenses).

We'll never have the horses to play run-and-gun with the ACC or Big Ten, so why not play a style that fits the talent UND will be able to get.