SiouxSports.com Forum

Nicole Smart, 2009 recruit

NoDakSt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Nicole Smart and Ada-Borup will be looking to repeat as MN class A state champions this weekend.

They have a tough first game against RLCC who can run. Both teams gave EGF their only losses by I think 1 point in each game.

Oddly enough the team that gave Ada their only loss (Eden Valley Watkins) was beat by New London Spicer the first game of the year. EGF is playing New London in their first game at state. For those that don't know, there is no consolation bracket in MN and they don't seed single A and double A.

They have a tough first game against RLCC who can run. Both teams gave EGF their only losses by I think 1 point in each game.

Oddly enough the team that gave Ada their only loss (Eden Valley Watkins) was beat by New London Spicer the first game of the year. EGF is playing New London in their first game at state. For those that don't know, there is no consolation bracket in MN and they don't seed single A and double A.

This game was a bigger blowout than perhaps expected, as Ada-Borup ended up winning by nearly 40. Smart had 24 points.

I'm watching the Ada-Borup semi-final game right now, and Smart is impressive. She handles the ball and passes well, and can knock down the 3. Maybe a Carissa Jahner type, but with more scoring ability?

EDIT: A-B wins big, and Smart finishes with 22, including 5 of 10 from 3-point range.

Ada-Borup is well on their way to another state title, and Smart continues to impress me. She's very unselfish, shoots it very well from 3-point range and just doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses in her game. I think she'll play and play a lot next year.

EDIT: Ada-Borup wins 61-31. Smart nearly outscored the opponent herself, finishing with 27 points and 6 assists. I believe she ended the tournament something like 11-20 from 3-point range.

Ada-Borup is well on their way to another state title, and Smart continues to impress me. She's very unselfish, shoots it very well from 3-point range and just doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses in her game. I think she'll play and play a lot next year.

EDIT: Ada-Borup wins 61-31. Smart nearly outscored the opponent herself, finishing with 27 points and 6 assists. I believe she ended the tournament something like 11-20 from 3-point range.

I agree that she is a very good high school player. My concern is playing against the caliber of talent she has played against in H.S. and what she will be seeing next year in college at a DI level, is she good enough to make that leap?

Alys was as athletic as any player we had when we were a DII school. Now, she plays 12 minutes a night (guess). Hope Nicole can play. She is a great kid from a great family. It will be good for UND to keep a little local flavor on the roster.

I agree that she is a very good high school player. My concern is playing against the caliber of talent she has played against in H.S. and what she will be seeing next year in college at a DI level, is she good enough to make that leap?

Alys was as athletic as any player we had when we were a DII school. Now, she plays 12 minutes a night (guess). Hope Nicole can play. She is a great kid from a great family. It will be good for UND to keep a little local flavor on the roster.

Just my opinion, but I think the only thing that holds Alys back is confidence. Fortunately, she ended the season well, so hopefully that carries over next year. I believe Smart has played enough AAU ball so that it won't be as big of an adjustment going from MN class A ball to dI as it otherwise would be. MN class A has been good to us lately with Ashley, Kierah and Kayla.