SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 - 2010 Schedule

star2city

Anyone aware of other games scheduled? This site mentions that we'll play 2 games in a Missoula tournament. Isn't Montana also scheduled for GF next year?

Montana-Mens

Type: Game

Dates: 12/10/2009 to 12/13/2009

We are looking to fill our 2009-10 Multi Team Event Karl Tyler Cheverolet Tournament. University of North Dakota is already CONTRACTED for event. GURANTEE of $40,000 and lodging for each night, gifts and hospitality room. Also open to a possible return game the following year and lodging option instead of GURANTEE. 2008-09 field included Montana, Denver and UT-Arlington.

Away:

2 GAMES @ Montana tournament

@South Dakota

@Chicago State

@NJIT

@UT-Pan American

@Houston Baptist

@Utah Valley

Home:

2-3 lower division schools

N Iowa

N Colo

UMKC ?

UWGB ?

Montana

South Dakota

Chicago State

NJIT

UT-Pan American

Houston Baptist

Utah Valley

• 1 month later...

We've already heard this from a contributor to the board, but Wayne Nelson confirms that Northern Iowa will be in GF next year:

UNI is scheduled to play UND in Grand Forks next season.

Wayne also says that we're going to visit Texas A&M again next season. Tentatively. Anyone who visits the football forum knows to take that word with a grain of salt.

However, UND and Texas A&M are tentatively scheduled to play again next year in College Station.

So here is what we think we know:

@ Montana tournament

@ Drake Tournament

@ Iowa State Tournament

@ South Dakota

@ Chicago State

@ NJIT

@ UT-Pan American

@ Houston Baptist

@ Utah Valley

@ Texas A&M

vs. South Dakota

vs. Chicago State

vs. NJIT

vs. UT-Pan American

vs. Houston Baptist

vs. Utah Valley

vs. Northern Iowa

I would think that it is a good bet that Northern Colorado and UMKC will be in Grand Forks as well next year.

I would also think that the Great West tournament will be set up similar to the old NCC tourney where the number 1 seed gets a bye, so there will be at least one playoff game. Or I suppose there could be a play-in game.

I heard the umkc was a 2 for 1.... not positive though was kinda drunk when talking to faison at the bar haha

edit... i also remember him saying a 2 for 1 deal with a big time school is in the works. now by big time i dont know how to interpret it but maybe like a drake or a colorado state idk.

• 1 month later...

@ Montana tournament

@ Drake Tournament

@ Iowa State Tournament

@ South Dakota

@ Chicago State

@ NJIT

@ UT-Pan American

@ Houston Baptist

@ Utah Valley

@ Texas A&M

vs. Northern Iowa

vs. UW-Green Bay

vs. Missouri-Kansas City

vs. Northern Colorado

vs. Southern Illinois-Edwardsville

vs. South Dakota

vs. Chicago State

vs. NJIT

vs. UT-Pan American

vs. Houston Baptist

vs. Utah Valley

TBA Great West Conference Tourney

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wayne Nelson blog on next year's men's and women's schedules.

Nice to see Wisconsin on the women's basketball schedule (sticking to their previous statement lifting their ban on playing us due to the nickname).

For the men, that's already 24 games that we think we know of, 13 away and 11 at home. I'm guessing we'll see at least 2 non-DI home games (DAC schools) plus probably 1 or 2 non-DI home exhibition games. Hopefully they will be able to squeeze in one more road game against a big-time school for some cash, or one against an attractive mid-major that would result in a later game at the Sioux Center.

A post over at the USD Board indicates that they are also playing at Drake's tournament.

Lets not kid ourselves- we will never be getting any Big 10 or Big 12 teams to come play here...ever. I believe I should borrow a line from Han Solo "I'm out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur"

The only reason Kansas did is because it allowed Boshee to play in front of the home state. The reality is, none of the schools Big 10 or Big 12 or any of the BCS basketball conferences for that matter, rarely play non-conference games outside their home arenas. They will go play a road game against another BCS basketball conferences- ie. N. Carolina at Mich St. (Ford Field) Arizona at Kansas, but these schools simply won't come here, because they don't have to. And because... money talks, if we want to play them- we do it on their terms and play them there. That's how it works. The Northern Iowa's and the Wisco GreenBays are about as big as it will get for us. But don't feel bad, most mid-major programs don't get those team at home either. I am pleased with the way our year 2 schedule is shaping up-for both the men and the women, and even though it would be nice to get the BIG conference teams at home I'm more than ok with some of the mid-major programs that will be coming to town.

Lets not kid ourselves- we will never be getting any Big 10 or Big 12 teams to come play here...ever. I believe I should borrow a line from Han Solo "I'm out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur"

The only reason Kansas did is because it allowed Boshee to play in front of the home state. The reality is, none of the schools Big 10 or Big 12 or any of the BCS basketball conferences for that matter, rarely play non-conference games outside their home arenas. They will go play a road game against another BCS basketball conferences- ie. N. Carolina at Mich St. (Ford Field) Arizona at Kansas, but these schools simply won't come here, because they don't have to. And because... money talks, if we want to play them- we do it on their terms and play them there. That's how it works. The Northern Iowa's and the Wisco GreenBays are about as big as it will get for us. But don't feel bad, most mid-major programs don't get those team at home either. I am pleased with the way our year 2 schedule is shaping up-for both the men and the women, and even though it would be nice to get the BIG conference teams at home I'm more than ok with some of the mid-major programs that will be coming to town.

I think you misinterpretted my post, sorry if I wasn't clear. What I said was basically what you are saying. I said hopefully we could get another money game against a big school (Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, etc.), or an away game against a quality mid-major from say the Horizon, MVC, WCC, etc, that would result in a return game just like this past season's games with UNI and UWGB have.

I like how the schedule is looking so far too, both home and away.

The only reason Kansas did is because it allowed Boshee to play in front of the home state. The reality is, none of the schools Big 10 or Big 12 or any of the BCS basketball conferences for that matter, rarely play non-conference games outside their home arenas.

Kansas State actually played at NDSU at couple of years ago - it was a two-for-one plus some other connection. Is it likely: no, but not impossible especially with lesser BSC schools like Washington State, Baylor, South Florida. (not that I expect them to show either)

I saw Faison at a local establishment a while back and I was on the kool aid heaveily but i remember him sayting something about a 2 for 1 with a big time school that possibly the game will have to be played in the ralph. He said its not fallin through yet though.

When Huggins took over at Kansas State, he really wanted to buy out the return game. One of his demands that finally got him to see it through was using officials he approved. I don't know if he approved them by name or just insisted they come from the Big 12 pool. It was a close-fought game and those refs probably were the difference. Oh well, it's not like we were eligible for anything back then.

One thing to think about: Losing a home game seriously hurts your RPI. Conferences will be looking at that number to see if you will help or hurt the prestige of the conference. It's a tossup; schedule beatable teams at home that won't draw all that well to help your RPI, or try for high-majors at home to help attendance and excitement but take a big RPI knock when you lose. I could have put an if in the end of that last sentence, but you can't count on that when playing one of the big boys(or even one of the upper-middleweights).

I don't know why we were anyone should be sensitive about his remarks- maybe because they hit so close to home. Our fans, including me are getting older, that Men's game against USD showed that the fans could at least come a live a little (great job by the way- I had so much fun seeing our men finally get USD at home again)- but there weren't hardly any students involved in it. I always get the feeling that our fans at the women's games just sort of lean back and say "impress us" because for as many as there are- and I am impressed by the numbers we get for the womens games, as I think most of our opponents are, they tend to be on the quiet side most of the time.

I don't know why we were anyone should be sensitive about his remarks- maybe because they hit so close to home. Our fans, including me are getting older, that Men's game against USD showed that the fans could at least come a live a little (great job by the way- I had so much fun seeing our men finally get USD at home again)- but there weren't hardly any students involved in it. I always get the feeling that our fans at the women's games just sort of lean back and say "impress us" because for as many as there are- and I am impressed by the numbers we get for the womens games, as I think most of our opponents are, they tend to be on the quiet side most of the time.

In case anybody is wondering, these were Johnson's comments:

"Grand Forks was a great place, I've never been around so many passionate people about a university...as long as it was about hockey. So its really nice to be in a town where, its very obvious that this town loves basketball. And we'll get great support. So those are the things that really get me excited about USF," USF Head Coach Chris Johnson said.

I was curious about Sioux Falls attendance, so I checked out their web site. They conveniently neglect to include attendance figures. I'm sure Johnson is enjoying being a head coach, but I highly doubt he's getting better fan support now than he was while at UND.

I was curious about Sioux Falls attendance, so I checked out their web site. They conveniently neglect to include attendance figures. I'm sure Johnson is enjoying being a head coach, but I highly doubt he's getting better fan support now than he was while at UND.

USF is one of 3 teams from the Great Plains Athletic Conference that did not report any attendance figures this season. As far as I can tell, they haven't reported any attendance numbers for at least the past 4 seasons. Just for reference, there are 13 teams in the GPAC. Dakota Weslyan led the leauge in attendance this past season with an average of 1,656 per game. The next highest reported total was 742. Total average conference attendance is skewed because 3 teams didn't report, but on average a GPAC game draws 352.

USF is one of 3 teams from the Great Plains Athletic Conference that did not report any attendance figures this season. As far as I can tell, they haven't reported any attendance numbers for at least the past 4 seasons. Just for reference, there are 13 teams in the GPAC. Dakota Weslyan led the leauge in attendance this past season with an average of 1,656 per game. The next highest reported total was 742. Total average conference attendance is skewed because 3 teams didn't report, but on average a GPAC game draws 352.

I have a feeling Sioux Falls doesn't report attendance so as to avoid looking bad compared to Augustana.

............we'll play 2 games in a Missoula tournament. Isn't Montana also scheduled for GF next year?

Coach Jones mentioned Montana on the final episode of Sioux Sports Weekly as one of the teams that will visit the Sioux Center next season.

Here's an updated list of next season's tentative opponents:

@ Montana tournament (Montana, Loyola Marymount, UND, TBA)

@ Drake Tournament (Drake, South Dakota, UND, TBA)

@ Iowa State Tournament

@ South Dakota

@ Chicago State

@ NJIT

@ UT-Pan American

@ Houston Baptist

@ Utah Valley

@ Texas A&M

vs. Northern Iowa

vs. UW-Green Bay

vs. Missouri-Kansas City

vs. Northern Colorado

vs. Southern Illinois-Edwardsville

vs. Montana

vs. Sioux Falls

vs. South Dakota

vs. Chicago State

vs. NJIT

vs. UT-Pan American

vs. Houston Baptist

vs. Utah Valley

TBA Great West Conference Tourney

I'm really liking how this schedule is shaping up. I'm especially excited about Northern Iowa, Wisconsin-Green Bay, and Montana as home games. To me, it's really quite impressive to get those teams to come to our place in just our second year of DI. I also really like establishing relationships early on with the DI schools from Iowa.

• 4 weeks later...