SiouxSports.com Forum

More Development Around Engelstad?

star2city

This article from the GF Herald is somewhat off-topic, but it helps further explain the rationale behind the SportsCenter addition to the Engelstad Arena and the probable Wellness Center building directly west of the REA:

A hotel, high-rise condominiums, high-end student apartments, retail malls with scenic open-air plazas, restaurants and a retirement village all have been mentioned as possible new developments for the land known as the Bronson Property.

Bob Gallager, UND vice president of finance, said the school has been approached by developers interested in bringing all those things and more to Grand Forks, but the school hasn't struck any deals to date.

Gallager said that all proposals have been sent back to the drawing board for more tweaking. He said the school is taking a patient approach to development of the roughly 100-acre area that skirts Gateway Drive and North Columbia Road.  ....

If nothing else were built on the Bronson Property than what is there now or what is under construction or pending construction, the school would have about $140 million worth of development on the land. Plans that are being discussed, he said, would easily add another $150 million to that total.

In today's editorial, there was this bit of information:

On South 42nd Street near the Alerus, there are interested companies and potential development apart from the proposed hotel, which itself will be a major step forward.

What is most surprising about the Engelstad development, considering the CANAD INN that will be built near the Alerus, is this:

Both Gallager and Kupchella caution that all discussions with developers are in preliminary stages, but they do say that they've had a number of offers to build a new luxury hotel on the land. Kupchella said the discussions haven't focused on any flagship names, but Hilton and Marriott have been mentioned.

It would be hard to imagine those developments even being considered without the existence of Ralph's gift. It would have been even more difficult to imagine this transformation before 1997's events, which inspired Ralph to act boldly. It's truly a new era in GF.

I've always thought a good open air commercial development near UND could really succeed. What UND is really lacking that a lot of other campuses have is a good collection of shops / restaurants / bars near campus (think State St. in Madison). I think students would embrace alternate eating options within walking distance (a mix of small cafes, burrito joint, Starbucks, etc...). Also, Grand Forks would be a lot safer at 1am if there were more watering holes near campus. Throw in some clothing stores, a shoe store, etc... interspersed with the sidewalk cafes / bars and the campus could have a real jewel.

This is one area in which I agree with UND's "patience". Don't throw up a bunch of junk just because the land is open. Plan carefully to put in services that students and the community want near campus, and that will make UND more attractive to potential applicants.

One of things that I didn't like about UND was that it was generally set apart from the rest of town for shopping, eating, medical care, etc. Especially, since I didn't have a car my first few years there, and the .25 bus trip wasn't always convenient. That goes back to its origin when the "townfolk" of GF wanted the campus away from their young, impressionable daugthers ... or so, one of my profs told me. ;)

A decent development plan to build a community or "village" tied to the school would go along way to enhancing the appeal of the school. It's probably nothing on the scale of Dinkytown, but the neighborhoods around St. Thomas and Macalester in St. Paul offer a number of amenities for the colleges' communities and blend in rather well with the other denizens of the area. Small bars, coffee shops, a video store, cafes, and other locally owned businesses could probably do well there. As well, as some student-oriented housing.

• 1 month later...

Commercial development of the Bronson Property around Engelstad seems one step closer to reality, as last Friday, 'Now Leasing' signs were placed on the property as well as an artist's rendering of the proposed new 'University Station'. The architectural firm is the same as the the Engelstad Sports Center: Icon. It seems there is no official announcement yet from UND, ICON, or Dakota Commerical, but the UND campus map includes the development footprint.

This is just speculation on my part, but I do expect further announcements on condominium/housing development during Homecoming week.

'star2city' the soothsayer. :glare:

Actually, I had anticipated a much more significant announcement then there was. There has been a recent GFH editorial on the University Village, as well as articles on the Wellness Center, retail development, and private higher-end student housing. There seems to be a reluctance by UND officials to allow higher-rise condos on the property. If getting high pedestrian traffic in the area is a goal, and if the condos would add to the architecture and layout, why not?

The commerical developer denies that a hotel is in the works, but the REA could really use an upscale hotel (with a sports bar!) for its own business development. I have to believe that an REA hotel would only be developed after the Canad Inn/Waterpark at the Alerus are signed, sealed and delivered. Too many GF voters want the Canad Inn, but not the waterpark. But the reality is that the Alerus, especially, and probably the REA need adjoining hotels for their business plans, which are in many ways complimentary to the other.

• 4 weeks later...

For comparison, Ariz. St. has a similar assortment of businesses along a 1-mile strip called Mill Ave. These establishments consist of sidewalk cafes, trendy boutiques, bars, bookstores, a Japanese restaurant & a large movie theater. This area is the place to be on weekends & is packed with out-of-staters when the Fiesta Bowl comes to town. Many Phx. residents also enjoy the amenities &, like Jim said, it no doubt makes the streets safer because the bars practically border the campus. The only drawback is the high # of transients & runaway school kids who loiter around the area.

Hope UND/GF do a lot of planning before allowing development of another hotel. Would it be feasible with a weak Canadian dollar & would occupancy rates be adequate during slow economic times? It sounds like G.F. is trying to become another tourist town & I don't think there are enough attractions there to support a plethora of hotels. But maybe that line in "Field of Dreams" holds true: "Build it & they will come"...Note: I'm all for more businesses around the campus but am a little skeptical about too many possible hotels. But I'm sure they'll analyze the feasibility aspects fully before breaking ground.

sioux fan

The canadian dollar is as strong right now as it has been in years. I know this because there is one manitoba license plate for every two north dakota ones in the parking lot at Columbia mall on the weekends.

Mill Ave. is a really cool place at ASU. I was there over spring break a couple of years ago and had a great time.

Mill Ave. is a really cool place at ASU. I was there over spring break a couple of years ago and had a great time.

Yeah, & it's even cooler if you're a single young man cuz the ASU coeds are hhhhhot. Still laughing over your remark about receiving .50 off your next new or used car at Rydell Chevrolet from the prize-dispensing blimp..classic :angry: