SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

I'm more pumped for this upcoming NHL season than I have been for any other in the past. I can't wait to see how Jost and Boeser do in their first full years. I also anticipate seeing bigger things (35+ point seasons) out of Cags and Schmaltzy too. Then there is LaDue and Stech making noise on the blueline and solidifying themselves as key D-men. This group of guys seems to be the next big wave of NHL talent that UND has produced. For the most part, it seemed like there was a big gap between them and the Oshie, Parise, Toews, Stafford, Zajac era. It's exciting to see this many UND guys, with so much talent, all hitting the market at the same time again. It's an exciting time to be a UND fan. 

Of the guys listed I think it's obvious that Stech is set up the most comfortably (rightfully so) to be the most successful again this season. But I'm going to put my money on Boeser having the most success of them all this season, even more so than Stech. I know his 2nd year at UND was a little disappointing and made his stock fall, but I believe we'll see more of that true scorer type player out of him this year in the NHL. He showed it in the few games he played at the end of last season, and I only expect to see more of that this entire year. Jost will have a long career in the show and will have a lot of success, but I just don't see that happening with him this season. 1. because he could've used some more time to develop and 2. because he will be part of a frustratingly poor club. 

Thompson had a good season with San Diego, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got a small taste of the big league at some point this year. I haven't heard much on Luke Johnson. Anyone? 

13 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

He got his undergrad, but he still had eligibility.  He could've taken masters classes and developed more.  He just never had the skating of an NHL player.  I hope he proves me wrong, but...

Not everyone wants to go for a graduate degree, so if he wanted to get into his hockey career, whatever level that may be, more power to him.  Don't think another year at UND would change his hockey path, so why not play, get paid and have your degree to fall back on.

On 9/15/2017 at 9:34 PM, tnt said:

Matej Tomek with an 18 save shutout for Waterloo in preseason game tonight.

This shutout must have gotten him a contract with the Flyers.  He is the backup for one of the Flyers split squad games against the Islanders.  Very surprised to see this.

14 hours ago, KSSioux said:

This shutout must have gotten him a contract with the Flyers.  He is the backup for one of the Flyers split squad games against the Islanders.  Very surprised to see this.

Top prospect goalie.  From what I've heard he's looking to get signed after this year.  He obviously won't play college again.

On 9/23/2017 at 12:56 PM, cberkas said:

Should have sent Tomek to the USHL instead of bringing him in when the coaches did. No goals in 92 minutes, looks like he's not signed by the Flyers yet.

Would've, should've, could've... no one knew how the goalie situation was going to play out. Also, it is not the coaches fault he was injured and he couldn't beat out a walk on player either. You have to have the drive once you step foot on campus, talent alone will not get you to the next level.

• Upvote 2

Avs send Grimaldi down to San Antonio again.  I thought he had earned a spot on the big club - guess not.

Ausmus was "cut" but I'm not sure if he ended up in 
San Antonio or if they will put him with the Eagles.  Maybe neither.  Haven't been able to track that situation.

Quebec cut Vandevelde.  Wonder if his NHL time is up.

5 minutes ago, dden3 said:

Avs send Grimaldi down to San Antonio again.  I thought he had earned a spot on the big club - guess not.

San Antonio or if they will put him with the Eagles.  Maybe neither.  Haven't been able to track that situation.

I think all 3 of them are over seas bound unless Grimaldi wants to stay in the AHL

1 hour ago, dden3 said:

Didn't know the Nordique made a comeback!;)

• Upvote 1

so when Tucker makes his NHL debut he will be the 98th Sioux Alum to play in the show.

Theres been a ton to debut the past few years but looking forward , who will be the 100th former Sioux to crack the National League?

K. Thompson, L. Johnson technically closest, but the 100th?

Gersich, Poganski, Cam?, could Gage pull a Rowney route? 

22 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

so when Tucker makes his NHL debut he will be the 98th Sioux Alum to play in the show.

Theres been a ton to debut the past few years but looking forward , who will be the 100th former Sioux to crack the National League?

K. Thompson, L. Johnson technically closest, but the 100th?

Gersich, Poganski, Cam?, could Gage pull a Rowney route? 

With how good the Blackhawks look, Luke isn't making the NHL there.