SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

On the eve of the men's Olympic hockey tournament starting, I thought this would be a great video to share. A great quote from the video at 2:28:

"I would say the most important decision that Herb made was when he took David Christian and moved him from center ice. By making David Christian a defenseman, all of a sudden we got the puck out of our end consistently...changed the whole team."

- Lou Vairo, 1980 coaching program director, USA Hockey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nfgTJaT_Vs

On the eve of the men's Olympic hockey tournament starting, I thought this would be a great video to share. A great quote from the video at 2:28:

"I would say the most important decision that Herb made was when he took David Christian and moved him from center ice. By making David Christian a defenseman, all of a sudden we got the puck out of our end consistently...changed the whole team."

- Lou Vairo, 1980 coaching program director, USA Hockey

Who here watched this game live?

I was teaching 6th grade in Warroad, MN at the time. Russia vs. USA game came on live on Canadian TV at 4:00 P.M., but my wife and I had to head to Mayville,ND for a wedding so I missed it. Heard the score at the top of the hill east of Oslo on I-29 and damn near drove off it. My wife couldn't understand why I was going nuts.

I was teaching 6th grade in Warroad, MN at the time. Russia vs. USA game came on live on Canadian TV at 4:00 P.M., but my wife and I had to head to Mayville,ND for a wedding so I missed it. Heard the score at the top of the hill east of Oslo on I-29 and damn near drove off it. My wife couldn't understand why I was going nuts.

I think it was earlier because it was still light out when it was over. Good CKY TV. You should have gotten that by antenna in Warroad.

"Honey, it's USA vs the Soviets...maybe, just maybe, this could be the biggest hockey upset of all time."

"That's nice, dear, now let's get going or we'll be late for what's his name's wedding."

A long time ago (probably when he was a committed recruit), I was doing some internet scouting and saw that Oshie had success at US roller hockey festivals. I don't really have the time to track it down again, but I believe he won one of the skills competitions a couple years in a row -- the shootout.

Congrats to Oshie, the USA team, Warroad, and UND. Great recognition for Warroad, UND, and the state of North Dakota.

The White House sent this tweet to him. Good work tj Sochi!

This is great!

@WhiteHouse: Congrats to T.J. Oshie and the U.S. men's hockey team on a huge win! Never stop believing in miracles. #GoTeamUSA

Two players in the Olympics have a career NHL shootout percentage of .500 or better (minimum 15 attempts).

Name them. :D

On Russian soil big time performance by 74!

He's gained 77 thousand followers since the end of the game. Been live with Dan Patrick and al michaels. Good stuff! Sick skills by tj

Congrats to oshie on probably the biggest one man performance so far in this year's olympics! I hear NBC will be playing the ot and shootout tonight at 7pm!

He's gets primetime on sat night Olympics. Wow just a ice water vein performance

Oshie and Toews?

That is my guess too. I remember Toews scoring 3 shootout goals on Jeff Frazee in the world juniors. Still hard to believe how good that Duncan Oshie Toews line was.

Correctamundo!

Full list here:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAZAll&viewName=shootoutSkaterCareerTotals&sort=shootingPctg&pg=3

As surprising as how good some guys are, is how low some great players rank on that list.

Now we need everything to hold form. Seeds would be:

1 Can/Fin Regulation Winner

--

4 Russia

5 Can/Fin Regulation Loser

--

2 Sweden

--

3 US

6 Swiss

Things get screwed up if Russians lose or that Can/Fin game goes to OT. Never loved Oshie until today. :)