SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

I think I am going to go out on a limb here and say that DeMarchi will beat Hale to the NHL.

I know you are all stunned, but here's my reasoning. First, DeMarchi is already at 100 percent. Although Hale was back to nearly his peak form at the end of last season with the Sioux, there are still doubts. They will want him to skate in the minors at least at the beginning of the season to see how he does and assist in conditioning, after Hale only returned to play the last few games of the entire season for the Sioux.

Second reason is that DeMarchi is more of the enforcer type. NJ loves physical players like Scott Stevens. It is why they drafted Commodore. Although they traded Mike (rather unwise if you ask me), they probably feel that DeMarchi is an adequate replacement for Commodore despite the fact that, arguably, Hale is a smarter and better player overall. Let's face it, I see DeMarchi as just another Scott Parker. Potential, but mainly there to pick fights. I DO anticipate DeMarchi to contribute more than Scott Parker though...

I gues to sum up, I feel Hale is the better player, but health is an issue, which helps DeMarchi in the "race" between the two players to the NHL. If Hale is deemed as healthy as DeMarchi by decision time, or if health isn't a factor, then skill-wise Hale goes NHL. But it does appear obvious that NJ wants one of these two (along with a few that may be in their current system) to vie for the role that Scott Stevens leaves behind when he eventually retires.

DeMarchi will see the NHL in the same capacity as me, a fan! Although I agree his game is likely more suited to the NHL than college, I don't think he has the requisite skill to play at that level. Then again, I personally didn't think Andy Sutton from Tech or even Brad Defauw, for instance, had the skill to play in the NHL and both made it, however, moreso due to their size.

And considering the Devils have been touting Hale as Stevens potential replacement and possible future captain, I like his chances despite his recent illness.

The Devils say that both DeMarchi and Hale will have a shot at a roster slot next year. Redwing might be right in the fact that DeMarchi might see the NHL first, due to health concerns with Dave, but I do believe Hale will be a better player. Not to downplay DeMarchi's ability, but I think that Hale is better and will be in the long run.

I found this article on ajhl.ca

MEDIA RELEASE No. 2 - July 8, 2003

08-Jul-2003 2003-2004 News Archive2002-2003 News Archive2001-2002 News Archive2000-2001 News Archive1999-2000 News Archive1998-1999 News ArchiveList All ArticlesAJHL official website

Ian Kallay has submitted his resignation as general manager/coach of the Drayton Valley Thunder of the Alberta Junior Hockey League to accept a position as an assistant coach in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ian Kallay has submitted his resignation as general manager/coach of the Drayton Valley Thunder of the Alberta Junior Hockey League to accept a position as an assistant coach in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

Whitecourt, Alta., native Kallay, who played for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux in the WCHA, is leaving to join the Michigan Tech University Huskies.

Kallay coached Drayton Valley to the AJHL championship in his first season as a head coach in 2001-02. He had a 79-39-10 regular-season record in two seasons in Drayton Valley and was an assistant coach with the AJHL Selects at the 2002 Viking Cup in Camrose.

Twenty-four AJHL alumni have advanced to Michigan Tech, including five from the Fort McMurray Oil Barons and Fort Saskatchewan Traders who played in North American minor professional leagues in 2002-03.

Brad Mueller, A. J. Aitken and Paul Cabana of Fort McMurray, Clint Way and Tab Lardner of Fort Saskatchewan are the AJHL/Michigan Tech alumni who played professionally last season.

Way and Cabana played in the East Coast Hockey League. Lardner, Mueller and Aitken were in the Central Hockey League.

Lardner totalled 21 goals and 49 points in 64 regular-season games with the Austin Ice Bats. Mueller and Aitken were with the CHL champion Memphis River Kings.

Left winger Colin Murphy of Fort McMurray and centre Jon Pittis of the Calgary Canucks are AJHL alumni who played for Michigan Tech in 2002-03.

Murphy led the Huskies with 20 goals and 40 points in 37 games as a sophomore. Pittis tied for fifth on the team with 17 assists and 25 points in 36 games as a junior.

Kallay tied for 11th in scoring in the WCHA as a freshman in 1995-96. He was ninth in the conference as a sophomore in 1996-97, when North Dakota won the National Collegiate Athletic Association championship.

Kallay had 39 goals and 84 points in 76 games in two seasons with North Dakota. He had 112 assists and 184 points in 195 games with Fort Saskatchewan from 1990-91 through 1993-94 and was a North Division all-star in 1994.

Update in Devil-town: Daneyko retired. Sad to see him go, but this could be DeMarchi or Hale (hopefully Hale's) break to go right to the NHL. I'm not sure that either of them will start the year in the NHL and if either of them do, neither will be in the NHL at the same time off the bat.

I'm rusty on Devils hockey, so I am not sure what exact role Daneyko played on the blue line for them. I'd figure though, that the dman who best fills this role will get the slot whether it is Hale, DeMarchi, Martin, or whoever is in their system currently.

I'm rusty on Devils hockey, so I am not sure what exact role Daneyko played on the blue line for them. 

Daneyko was the best DEFENSEman on the team. No one got to hang out in Brodeur's crease when Daneyko was on the ice - he even kicked Marty in the head once when Marty ventured out too far (and Brodeur admitted he was the one that messed up, a rare occurence). Scoring wasn't his responsibility although he got his two goals last season before a couple of other D got their first.

This is a VERY sad day.

As far as who would get a chance because of this, DeMarchi or Hale NOT Paul Martin. They've hyped Hale a bit more (to the extent the Devils ever hype anyone) which may mean he has a slight edge, but I wouldn't consider his signing or leaving early to mean that much. The Devils like to be in control of their players when it comes to injury/illness and signed Adrian Foster after drafting when he had a groin injury so they could control things rather than having his WHL team deal with it. I really think it will all depend on who looks best in camp. The first day may give an indication though as that loser Burns likes to divide the camp into Devils, Rats and infants. There were a couple of migrations from Devils to Rats and Rats to infants and vice versa, but not much. If one of them is in the Devils group and the other isn't, it will be a big disadvantage to the second guy.

Giroux is a capable defenseman that you don't have to worry about when he's on the ice, but doesn't bring the physical edge.

-Melissa

Interesting story on ESPN.com. Here is the link

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/s/2003offseason/njd.html

It mentions David Hale. From reading between the lines in the article, it may be Hale the finds himself in the NHL this fall and the Devils taking a chance on him by letting two veteran defensement go on free agency.

So, perhaps Hale is feeling better and the Devils are happy about it. Perhaps this will also affect Martin's future with the Gophers... meaning he's probably back for his senior year. No matter.

Anyways, it's just rumor so to speak.

Not sure if anyone else saw this on Yahoo Sports or not:

SUNRISE, Fla. (AP) -- The Florida Panthers re-signed left wing Darcy Hordichuk and right wing Denis Shvidki and signed free agent right wing Lee Goren on Thursday.

Terms of the one-year deals were not disclosed.

Hordichuk split 28 games between Florida and Phoenix last season, totaling 97 penalty minutes. Shvidki, the Panthers' first round pick in 1999, had four goals, two assists and 12 penalty minutes in 23 games with the Panthers last season.

Goren had two goals and one assist in 14 games with the Boston Bruins last season.

• 2 weeks later...

caps.gifWashington Capitals sign Jason Ulmer. He'll play next year for the Portland Pirates (the AHL affiliate of the Caps with whom Spiewak played this Spring). He played for Pirates previously in 2001-02, when the fans voted him the "Unsung Hero" of the team.

Quad City Mallards press release: NHL team signs ex-Mallard, Jason Ulmer

(Thanks for the tip, Dale)

• 3 weeks later...

Connelly leaving is news. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me, because he really struggled on the scoresheet last season (zero goals) and suffered a concussion towards the end. But in any case, it is never a nice story to hear that a kid gives up on playing.

I assume now that Palmo or Porter will be a regular on the 4th line.