SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Attendance

GeauxSioux

1. 13,500 - NDSU - 6/10/01 (I don't trust this one - 13,500 exactly is too convienent)

2. 12,580 - UNO - 20/10/01

3. 12,276 - NDSU - 18/10/03

4. 12,202 - SCSU - 1/10/06

5. 12,148 - Augustana - 29/9/07

6. 11,696 - UCD - 1/12/01

7. 11,665 - UMD - 16/10/04

8. 11,563 - UNO - 13/10/07

9. 11,463 - MSU - 7/10/05

10. 11,434 - TAMUK - 28/8/08

There has been some debate in recent years as to the true capacity of the Alerus. Prior to the 2006 season, both the Alerus center and UND listed the capacity at 13,500. Since 2006, the Alerus has continued to use the 13,500 number, while the University reports capacity at 12,283.

I wish there would be some clarification on the subject. One reason given in the email to myself and UND92,96 is that UND doesn't count attendence in the suites. But that only accounts for ~324 tickets, so there is still a gap of about 1,000 between the two figures. I highly doubt they'd issue 1,000 SRO tickets for any game, and I don't know what "ADA risers" they're talking about. It certainly can't be the ones in the South endzone, because then fans would actually be sitting in the endzone (that might be a pretty good seat though ??? )

Anyways, just trying to answer your question about that number that was used for that game.

Perhaps UND got the attendance figures from the Alerus until 2006, and then they took over counting?

Kevin Fee blog on start times. Thoughts?

I would really think that 6:00 p.m. starts would be ideal for Saturday games, unless of course there also happens to be hockey that samed day, but that doesn't happen very often, especially now with no playoff games for a few years.

The 1:00 start doesn't allow people who work on Saturdays to attend. Also alot of people might like to spend the last few remaining pleasant fall Saturdays outdoors. Then there is hunting to compete with later in the season. With a later start, maybe a few folks could get their hunting in during the morning and afternoon and then be inclined to head to the game. Some fans like myself drive 100+ miles to get there, and the 1:00 start pretty much blows the whole day for those of us that do that.

Evening games would also probably boost beer sales, creating for a more raucous crowd :lol: . I know some people don't like the fact that at the REA, is almost like going to a night club, but an atmosphere like that would really help football attendance I think.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been some debate in recent years as to the true capacity of the Alerus. Prior to the 2006 season, both the Alerus center and UND listed the capacity at 13,500. Since 2006, the Alerus has continued to use the 13,500 number, while the University reports capacity at 12,283.

I wish there would be some clarification on the subject. One reason given in the email to myself and UND92,96 is that UND doesn't count attendence in the suites. But that only accounts for ~324 tickets, so there is still a gap of about 1,000 between the two figures. I highly doubt they'd issue 1,000 SRO tickets for any game, and I don't know what "ADA risers" they're talking about. It certainly can't be the ones in the South endzone, because then fans would actually be sitting in the endzone (that might be a pretty good seat though ??? )

Anyways, just trying to answer your question about that number that was used for that game.

Perhaps UND got the attendance figures from the Alerus until 2006, and then they took over counting?

I would really think that 6:00 p.m. starts would be ideal for Saturday games, unless of course there also happens to be hockey that samed day, but that doesn't happen very often, especially now with no playoff games for a few years.

The 1:00 start doesn't allow people who work on Saturdays to attend. Also alot of people might like to spend the last few remaining pleasant fall Saturdays outdoors. Then there is hunting to compete with later in the season. With a later start, maybe a few folks could get their hunting in during the morning and afternoon and then be inclined to head to the game. Some fans like myself drive 100+ miles to get there, and the 1:00 start pretty much blows the whole day for those of us that do that.

Evening games would also probably boost beer sales, creating for a more raucous crowd :lol: . I know some people don't like the fact that at the REA, is almost like going to a night club, but an atmosphere like that would really help football attendance I think.

I agree with everything you said. Night games are much much much better than 1 pm games. You saw the crowd we had on Thursday. Increased numbers, more rowdy, many more students. It is the way to go and I hope we do it!

This was definitely the largest student attendance I've seen in all of the history of the Alerus. We need the student section to start some cheers, especially during pre-game warm-ups, there was a group up in the corner that tried. Also let's start some new tradition cheers, not sure what they would be but how would it feel to be inside the Alerus with 11,000 fans shouting, We are North Dakota, We are One!

Check out this article in the Corpus Christi Caller-times. The Sioux Crew sent the article out to their members.

The Javs were really impressed by the loud crowd and the Sioux team.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/sep/04/a-s...ating-for-javs/

"You couldn't hear anything, and they knew your names. It's something we should be used to, but some guys weren't used to it at all," said receiver Clavens Charles. "It kind of got to the point where we couldn't understand what was going on, we couldn't get the signals to get the plays in. It was just a lot of mental errors and a lot of penalties that cost us."

"The noise ... I mean, I've been to outdoor pretty big-time Division I football games that weren't that loud. Over 11,000 people in a confined area is pretty loud," Javs coach Bo Atterberry said. "

"Also, it was a team that has all their individuals committed to doing it right, no matter how big or small their role is," said Atterberry, whose Javs travel to East Central (Okla.) for Saturday's Lone Star Conference crossover game. "They have some guys that just played special teams or whatever, and they beat everyone. It was like they were the most privileged person in the world just to be running down on a kickoff."

"Atterberry said. "I don't even think as coaches or fans or anybody we had on the bus with us had any idea what kind of environment that would be. They sang 'Home of the Brave' in the National Anthem, and (instead) they all said, 'Home of the Sioux,' and it was like thunder went off in there. It was coming out of the rafters throughout the whole room."

"I don't even think as coaches or fans or anybody we had on the bus with us had any idea what kind of environment that would be. They sang 'Home of the Brave' in the National Anthem, and (instead) they all said, 'Home of the Sioux,' and it was like thunder went off in there. It was coming out of the rafters throughout the whole room."

Awesome quote...it's been wikified.

With regards to game times. USD has used a 2PM game time for years. Lately, they have moved a few games to night games, but 2 PM is still the standard. I like the 2PM start because it still allows you to get stuff done in the early morning and then get some tailgating in, or just a lot of tailgating in. If I had my choice I would change the start time to 3 PM. It would be ideal, not to early in the day so you can get your work, outdoor activities, hunting out of the way, yet not so late as to interfere with postgame activities.

Maybe 3PM would work for the Sioux.

Start times I HATE, 11 AM. You ever gone to an 11AM game? You have to start tailgating at 5, or like some buddies of mine did for an Iowa/Penn St game a few years back in IA City, start the night before and don't stop!

Check out this article in the Corpus Christi Caller-times. The Sioux Crew sent the article out to their members.

The Javs were really impressed by the loud crowd and the Sioux team.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/sep/04/a-s...ating-for-javs/

"You couldn't hear anything, and they knew your names. It's something we should be used to, but some guys weren't used to it at all," said receiver Clavens Charles. "It kind of got to the point where we couldn't understand what was going on, we couldn't get the signals to get the plays in. It was just a lot of mental errors and a lot of penalties that cost us."

"The noise ... I mean, I've been to outdoor pretty big-time Division I football games that weren't that loud. Over 11,000 people in a confined area is pretty loud," Javs coach Bo Atterberry said. "

"Also, it was a team that has all their individuals committed to doing it right, no matter how big or small their role is," said Atterberry, whose Javs travel to East Central (Okla.) for Saturday's Lone Star Conference crossover game. "They have some guys that just played special teams or whatever, and they beat everyone. It was like they were the most privileged person in the world just to be running down on a kickoff."

"Atterberry said. "I don't even think as coaches or fans or anybody we had on the bus with us had any idea what kind of environment that would be. They sang 'Home of the Brave' in the National Anthem, and (instead) they all said, 'Home of the Sioux,' and it was like thunder went off in there. It was coming out of the rafters throughout the whole room."

That is simply awesome!

With regards to game times. USD has used a 2PM game time for years. Lately, they have moved a few games to night games, but 2 PM is still the standard. I like the 2PM start because it still allows you to get stuff done in the early morning and then get some tailgating in, or just a lot of tailgating in. If I had my choice I would change the start time to 3 PM. It would be ideal, not to early in the day so you can get your work, outdoor activities, hunting out of the way, yet not so late as to interfere with postgame activities.

Maybe 3PM would work for the Sioux.

Start times I HATE, 11 AM. You ever gone to an 11AM game? You have to start tailgating at 5, or like some buddies of mine did for an Iowa/Penn St game a few years back in IA City, start the night before and don't stop!

How about 12 like the Sioux-Yotes series this year? 12 is pushing it to make the trip down in the morning. At least last year it was mid afternoon so you could get leave at 6ish and still make it in time for pregaming. Not looking forward to the drive.

Today's attendance... 9,143.

I'm disappointed. If we can average 11,400+ for 18-20+ games for hockey, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to match that number for 5 football games.

Second, somebody needs to remind some Sioux fans that there are 4 quarters in football, not 3 periods. It is disappointing that so many people leave after 3 quarters. As far as I'm concerned SCSU was still in the game after the end of the third. And they made sure to kep themselves in the game all through the fourth.

Today's attendance... 9,143.

I'm disappointed. If we can average 11,400+ for 18-20+ games for hockey, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to match that number for 5 football games.

Second, somebody needs to remind some Sioux fans that there are 4 quarters in football, not 3 periods. It is disappointing that so many people leave after 3 quarters. As far as I'm concerned SCSU was still in the game after the end of the third. And they made sure to kep themselves in the game all through the fourth.

For comparison's sake, I looked back at NDSU's second home game of their first dI season. They drew 11,030 for a game against Montana Tech, and that was a night game. So there is some precedent for a big drop in attendance when the second game is against a non-dI opponent. Had this been a night game today, I suspect there would have been over 10,000, FWIW.

For comparison's sake, I looked back at NDSU's second home game of their first dI season. They drew 11,030 for a game against Montana Tech, and that was a night game. So there is some precedent for a big drop in attendance when the second game is against a non-dI opponent. Had this been a night game today, I suspect there would have been over 10,000, FWIW.

Attendance was disappointing, but if anything it validates for me why UND had to make the move to Division I. The average ND sports fan just doesn't care about games against the likes of SCSU and other Division II teams. I'm not expecting attendance for next week's game to be any better, but fortunately this season will most likely be the last time we see any of these teams on our schedule.

Attendance was disappointing, but if anything it validates for me why UND had to make the move to Division I. The average ND sports fan just doesn't care about games against the likes of SCSU and other Division II teams. I'm not expecting attendance for next week's game to be any better, but fortunately this season will most likely be the last time we see any of these teams on our schedule.

FWIW, next weeks game is Potato Bowl. I sure hope to HE double HOCKEY sticks that next weeks game draws more. I know it's not hockey related but come on Sioux hockey fans, show up for Potato Bowl!

Heck, UW-L went into Brookings and beat SDSU during their transition.

Thank god for the college students and air force base, with Grand Forks being smaller than Bismarck AND Fargo. Your attendance could be worse, wow. Get some people in the stands, for what it's worth, all the talk in Bis is of Hockey season. Doesn't mean good things for a DIII coming in next. I know a few UND alum in Bis that could care less with football, but are desparately awaiting Hockey.

Thank god for the college students and air force base, with Grand Forks being smaller than Bismarck AND Fargo. Your attendance could be worse, wow. Get some people in the stands, for what it's worth, all the talk in Bis is of Hockey season. Doesn't mean good things for a DIII coming in next. I know a few UND alum in Bis that could care less with football, but are desparately awaiting Hockey.

As my very first law prof told the class when we argued the validity of a test question, "I'll take that under advisement".

Game attendance fluctuates depending on who we are playing, the Winona State games are a good example. I did think though that we would have drawn a little better for St. Cloud State. After this year when there will be D-1 schools coming to Grand Forks, attendance should go up. I also believe that evening games are the key to a larger attendance, there are a lot of people that work on Saturdays. If an evening game conflicts with a hockey game, move it up to say 3:00 or around there, I think that would even help. Just my opinion.

I look forward to the days ahead when football is a tough ticket to get. And I'll be willing to shell out the $$$ needed. But during the transition, someone-(marketing department, ticket manager, I dont' know...) needs to work at selling out the Al. First, they should make tickets hassle free to get. Last week, I couldn't get to the Al between 10 and 4, and I refuse to pay Ticketmaster over half of the price of a ticket in order to buy a ticket ($8.50 on a $15.50 ticket.) So we got them at the game. But how about some promotions? Have they had $10 Tuesdays like they used to? Or specials for families or something.

I look forward to the days ahead when football is a tough ticket to get. And I'll be willing to shell out the $$$ needed. But during the transition, someone-(marketing department, ticket manager, I dont' know...) needs to work at selling out the Al. First, they should make tickets hassle free to get. Last week, I couldn't get to the Al between 10 and 4, and I refuse to pay Ticketmaster over half of the price of a ticket in order to buy a ticket ($8.50 on a $15.50 ticket.) So we got them at the game. But how about some promotions? Have they had $10 Tuesdays like they used to? Or specials for families or something.

The Ralph ticket office sells football tickets as well, there is always parking in the little lot by the front of the building. They are always very helpful in getting me the exact section and seats I want, not just the "best available" seats.

Well if you are really looking for a hassle free way to get tickets might I suggest getting season tickets, just a thought.

Free Ticket Drawing courtesy of GrandForks.com and The Green Mill.