SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Attendance

GeauxSioux

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say how proud I was of the GF community for coming out in great numbers for the game. I have been down on the community in the past for not coming to football games, this time they didn't let me down! I had a great time, I can't wait for the next one!

I just wanted to say how proud I was of the GF community for coming out in great numbers for the game. I have been down on the community in the past for not coming to football games, this time they didn't let me down! I had a great time, I can't wait for the next one!

I agree with your comments - I was very pleased/proud of the attendance!

I watched the game on the internet. It was obviously a good, noisy crowd - although it is frustrating that so many left early (somewhat understandable on a weeknight). I am curious about the perspective of those who were at the game:

Will the majority of these fans be back? In other words, did there appear to be a lot of military folks who probably were there just for the game honoring them? Did a Thursday night/first game of the season bring out a lot of people who may not be back?

Was the student crowd any larger than normal? The students turn out well but it would be good to have even more there to assist with the energy level of the building.

Any other observations about the crowd?

I agree with your comments - I was very pleased/proud of the attendance!

I watched the game on the internet. It was obviously a good, noisy crowd - although it is frustrating that so many left early (somewhat understandable on a weeknight). I am curious about the perspective of those who were at the game:

Will the majority of these fans be back? In other words, did there appear to be a lot of military folks who probably were there just for the game honoring them? Did a Thursday night/first game of the season bring out a lot of people who may not be back?

Was the student crowd any larger than normal? The students turn out well but it would be good to have even more there to assist with the energy level of the building.

Any other observations about the crowd?

I think there may have been a larger than normal student section. It's hard to say how many military people were there, but I would think that even if none of them showed up again, their seats could easily be filled if a more aggressive marketing campaign were utilized. In other words, I feel that selling out the Alerus on a regular basis is a very realistic goal once the home schedule is a bit more attractive (assuming we continue to have success on the field). Over the first four games last season, we averaged just over 11,100--or roughly 1000 under capacity. With any sort of dI bump, sell-outs should be realistic, although I wouldn't really expect it until next year when we start seeing a stronger home schedule.

I think there may have been a larger than normal student section. It's hard to say how many military people were there, but I would think that even if none of them showed up again, their seats could easily be filled if a more aggressive marketing campaign were utilized. In other words, I feel that selling out the Alerus on a regular basis is a very realistic goal once the home schedule is a bit more attractive (assuming we continue to have success on the field). Over the first four games last season, we averaged just over 11,100--or roughly 1000 under capacity. With any sort of dI bump, sell-outs should be realistic, although I wouldn't really expect it until next year when we start seeing a stronger home schedule.

So the capacity of the Alerus is 12,100 or 12,200 and not 13,500? it would explain why over the years since it opened (including last night) that the place looked relatively full and when the attendance was announced, 11,400, a person looking around wonders "where are the 2,100 empty seats". I guess I have always taken issue with the reported attendance at the football games and with using the "13,500" seat capacity number, it just never seemed like it was accurate.

I have to say I was suprised and pleased with the crowd. I was honestly hoping for something in the 9,000-10,000 range and was really worried we'd have a Winona State type turnout. Thanks for proving me wrong GF. Hopefully, we can keep this trend going and you can count on at least one more in attendance for the Southern Utah and Western Washington games.

I have to say I was suprised and pleased with the crowd. I was honestly hoping for something in the 9,000-10,000 range and was really worried we'd have a Winona State type turnout. Thanks for proving me wrong GF. Hopefully, we can keep this trend going and you can count on at least one more in attendance for the Southern Utah and Western Washington games.

As was I. The student section was packed and loud! Overall a great atmosphere for the Alerus. Hope the team gets 10000+ for their rest of their home games.

This was definitely the largest student attendance I've seen in all of the history of the Alerus. We need the student section to start some cheers, especially during pre-game warm-ups, there was a group up in the corner that tried. Also let's start some new tradition cheers, not sure what they would be but how would it feel to be inside the Alerus with 11,000 fans shouting, We are North Dakota, We are One!

Going with night games will raise attendance regardless, IMO. Saturday days are not good for many fans in the fall: harvesting, hunting, yard work, etc. Students are more apt to go out in the evening than they are on a Saturday afternoon. With fans choosing between the last major weekend to go to the lakes or a Saturday football game, a Thursday night game has always made the most sense.

It was definitely one of the loudest I've heard at the Alerus! During the pregame I could barely hear the drum majors whistle off the pregame show! It was a great crowd and a lot of fun to play at. Well, at least until the end of the 3rd quarter that is...

As I was browsing the last page of this thread, I read the above and had a brief moment of panic! I hadn't seen the score yet and, for a brief minute, I thought we lost the first game of the season!!

Phew! ???

This was definitely the largest student attendance I've seen in all of the history of the Alerus. We need the student section to start some cheers, especially during pre-game warm-ups, there was a group up in the corner that tried. Also let's start some new tradition cheers, not sure what they would be but how would it feel to be inside the Alerus with 11,000 fans shouting, We are North Dakota, We are One!

Depending on what corner it is, you can't hear. I sit on the opposite end of the student section than the band most games and sometimes I can barely hear them let alone three or four students trying to get a cheer going. We did have a good student section, but it took awhile to fill up and i have seen it a little more packed.....or maybe that was cause we were all trying to pack into the first four rows!

whats the other nine?

1. 13,500 - NDSU - 6/10/01 (I don't trust this one - 13,500 exactly is too convienent)

2. 12,580 - UNO - 20/10/01

3. 12,276 - NDSU - 18/10/03

4. 12,202 - SCSU - 1/10/06

5. 12,148 - Augustana - 29/9/07

6. 11,696 - UCD - 1/12/01

7. 11,665 - UMD - 16/10/04

8. 11,563 - UNO - 13/10/07

9. 11,463 - MSU - 7/10/05

10. 11,434 - TAMUK - 28/8/08

1. 13,500 - NDSU - 6/10/01 (I don't trust this one - 13,500 exactly is too convienent)

2. 12,580 - UNO - 20/10/01

3. 12,276 - NDSU - 18/10/03

4. 12,202 - SCSU - 1/10/06

5. 12,148 - Augustana - 29/9/07

6. 11,696 - UCD - 1/12/01

7. 11,665 - UMD - 16/10/04

8. 11,563 - UNO - 13/10/07

9. 11,463 - MSU - 7/10/05

10. 11,434 - TAMUK - 28/8/08

Suprised that UC-Davis game didn't have a bigger number. Remember that game being packed. By far the loudest game at the Alerus that I can remember.

So the capacity of the Alerus is 12,100 or 12,200 and not 13,500? it would explain why over the years since it opened (including last night) that the place looked relatively full and when the attendance was announced, 11,400, a person looking around wonders "where are the 2,100 empty seats". I guess I have always taken issue with the reported attendance at the football games and with using the "13,500" seat capacity number, it just never seemed like it was accurate.

I once e-mailed somebody at the Alerus asking for clarification of this, and it memory serves me the response was that in terms of actual non-suite seats, capacity is around 12,200. I don't believe suites have been included in the official attendance since the 2001 regular season. I also don't recall exactly how many suite seats there are.

Some one aske earlier how many military folks there were. I do know that sections 211, and 202 were completly filled with Military folks that accuared tickets at the game. Plus section 210 and 201 both had over flow of people when the first two sections filled out.

I do know that I enjoy watching the sioux, and everyweek that I am not Busy I am at the game cheering them on...

Esox