SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

What gives?

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/...release_id=4432

Eight of the 10 teams are NCAA Division I teams and 2009 will include a complete four-game Great West Football Conference schedule. USD will host McNeese State, Southeastern Louisiana, Southern Utah, UC-Davis, West Texas A&M and William Penn. The Coyotes will travel to Cal Poly, North Dakota, Northern Colorado and Northern Iowa.

How come they will play McNeese State and Southeastern Louisiana at home?

They get both Northern Colorado and Northern Iowa away too??

I think that some of these schools are afraid to play UND?

:)

UND did a better job than USD on the 2008 home schedule. But as far as lining up home-and-homes, USD appears to be doing a little bit better job. But UND's 2009 schedule has not been released yet, so there may be a pleasant surprise or two on there. The only hope I have is that most of the away games on the 2009 schedule are home-and-homes (obviously not with Texas Tech, but hopefully some of the others).

It's not that teams are scared to play UND. It's hard for UND to schedule because it's in such a small conference that it needs to fill a lot of games with non-conference opponents. Keep in mind, UND didn't have a true AD in place prior to June 1, 2008 when Faison started. Given the two interim ADs with no DI experience at the helm when the 2008 schedule and part of the 2009 schedule was being created, and a new head coach with limited DI contacts, I'm actually pleased with the scheduling UND was able to do. But I do expect it to get better with Faison in place.

Lets get one thing straight, these teams aren't "afraid" to play us. I am sick of reading that. They can't play everybody, we will play who we can, as will South Dakota. Saying teams are "afraid" is stupid and is something you would hear from the fans to the south of us and we do not want to start acting like that.

Well I retract the statement "afraid". USD just did a better job of scheduling quality opponents, but you can say that they kind of took on more than they can chew with Northern Iowa and Montana State. Did they play any DII teams this year?

Better to transition into playing quality opponents, than to jump right into them.

Has nothing to do with being afraid to play anyone...it's a logistical situation in terms of balancing home and road games and not having the budget to take two plane flights to play FCS schools in the same year...the South Dakota home/home was scheduled first the way I understand it...I'd love to see us work something out in the future.

UND did a better job than USD on the 2008 home schedule. But as far as lining up home-and-homes, USD appears to be doing a little bit better job. But UND's 2009 schedule has not been released yet, so there may be a pleasant surprise or two on there. The only hope I have is that most of the away games on the 2009 schedule are home-and-homes (obviously not with Texas Tech, but hopefully some of the others).

It's not that teams are scared to play UND. It's hard for UND to schedule because it's in such a small conference that it needs to fill a lot of games with non-conference opponents. Keep in mind, UND didn't have a true AD in place prior to June 1, 2008 when Faison started. Given the two interim ADs with no DI experience at the helm when the 2008 schedule and part of the 2009 schedule was being created, and a new head coach with limited DI contacts, I'm actually pleased with the scheduling UND was able to do. But I do expect it to get better with Faison in place.

Why not, wouldn't that be a shocker to have TT come to GF. :)

Well I retract the statement "afraid". USD just did a better job of scheduling quality opponents, but you can say that they kind of took on more than they can chew with Northern Iowa and Montana State. Did they play any DII teams this year?

Better to transition into playing quality opponents, than to jump right into them.

I think both teams schedules will look pretty similar for the next couple of years. I really don't see a big difference in them for next year. The only difference I see is that UND played SUU last year which now is in the Great West where as USD played somebody else from another conference. That prevented UND getting a home game like McNeese or SLU this year or the next. I won't be surprised to see some sweet away games in 2010 with some big return games in 2011 or vice versa.

USD's 2008 home schedule is horrible. Much worse than UND's. I think they are all NAIA except for UND. All I know is that I've never heard of any of them.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/football/schedule.asp

I was planning on going to Texas Tech to see our first FBS game...If we do end up playing Hawaii and it is scheduled for next year, I may have a tough decision to make :cool:

Since they said "upcoming seasons" I suspect the Hawaii game will not be 2009.

Either way, I'm going to Texas Tech and Hawaii.

Hawaii is a brilliant scheduling decision for recruiting purposes, and it also allows you to schedule an extra game, so there is an extra monetary benefit. I was really hoping we could find a way to schedule them. I will definitely be at Aloha Stadium. What a great road trip!

Hawaii is a brilliant scheduling decision for recruiting purposes, and it also allows you to schedule an extra game, so there is an extra monetary benefit. I was really hoping we could find a way to schedule them. I will definitely be at Aloha Stadium. What a great road trip!

Agree totally. Also, last year Hawaii was offering a $750,000 guarantee for one game. Sure it won't be as much for a IAA, but effectively this gives UND a "bowl" game. IA schools that travel to Hawaii during the regular season often have a lower bowl following in the post-season as many of their fan's travel budgets were already blown. Since UND won't be in the playoffs anyway, it beats heading to Youngstown.

UND is not listed yet, but 2010 appears to have openings.

Hawai'i's 2009-2012 Non-conference Schedule

Congrats on the Hawaii game.....that would be a great road trip. You will need to allocate atleast one week for that one! Also a $750,000 pay day isn't that bad for a WAC school. NDSU only got $275,000 for traveling to Wyoming. Schools like Texas, Ohio State and Michigan are where the huge money is.

Congrats on the Hawaii game.....that would be a great road trip. You will need to allocate atleast one week for that one! Also a $750,000 pay day isn't that bad for a WAC school. NDSU only got $275,000 for traveling to Wyoming. Schools like Texas, Ohio State and Michigan are where the huge money is.

...and where the injuries are! Stay away from those teams unless you want to end up like Youngstown did.

A major portion of that 750k is for flight and hotel obviously. Very expensive to go out there.

...and where the injuries are! Stay away from those teams unless you want to end up like Youngstown did.

A major portion of that 750k is for flight and hotel obviously. Very expensive to go out there.

You sure it's 750K? I highly doubt it. I know some teams in FCS have been offered games with Hawaii that just covered their expenses and they turned it down. It's hard to fly out to Hawaii and not make any cash for a FBS game. It will be interesting to see what the real pay out is. But good pickup anyway.

You sure it's 750K? I highly doubt it. I know some teams in FCS have been offered games with Hawaii that just covered their expenses and they turned it down. It's hard to fly out to Hawaii and not make any cash for a FBS game. It will be interesting to see what the real pay out is. But good pickup anyway.

I didn't come up with that number, just using what was previously posted. Seems very high to me but I do know that a big part of the package Hawaii puts together for a visiting team is flight, hotel, parties, sight seeing etc. We will make a decent amount of money after all that but I would agree that the total package is nowhere near 750k. They are broke as it is out there, last year helped but it is going to be back to normal now, I would think.

Even if you break even on the deal it is going to do nothing but great things for the recruiting. Great exposure and a great experience for the athletes. This game would be a no brainer. It would appear that future scheduling is in good hands and going wonderful. Go Sioux.

I didn't come up with that number, just using what was previously posted. Seems very high to me but I do know that a big part of the package Hawaii puts together for a visiting team is flight, hotel, parties, sight seeing etc. We will make a decent amount of money after all that but I would agree that the total package is nowhere near 750k. They are broke as it is out there, last year helped but it is going to be back to normal now, I would think.

As stated in the earlier post, $750,000 is for a IA team (without a home and home). This was what was offered last year to fill out UH's schedule: Hawaii's weak schedule is not its fault

So this is what it has come to. Not only does Hawaii have to beg teams to play in paradise, it has to sweeten the deal with three-quarters of a million dollars.

And still no takers.

"Teams don't want to make the trip anymore," says Hawaii coach June Jones. "They come here, we kick their ass, they go home."

That's not bravado, folks. That's fact. In the past five seasons, Jones' teams have beaten Michigan State, Alabama, Purdue and Arizona State -- an impressive BCS foursome. No wonder no one wanted in when the Warriors were looking for a game to complete this fall's schedule.

No wonder Michigan State tried for a year to get out of a game -- the same one Hawaii now can't replace -- before finally paying $250,000 to do so. No wonder when Florida -- big, bad Florida -- agreed to play the Warriors in Gainesville for the 2008 season opener, there was no offer to return a home game to Hawaii.

Hawaii's administration officially called it quits last month (for the 2007 season). No more begging, no more pleading, no more $750,000 guaranteed payout offers. One BCS athletic director told me it costs "no more than $350,000" for a team to travel to Hawaii and play. You do the math. A BCS school could have walked away with $400,000 of cold, hard profit -- for a road game.

Jones wouldn't get into specifics but did say "a couple" of Pac-10 teams were recently offered the $750,000 -- and national television coverage -- and declined.

The $350,000 for all travel expenses from last year's article is almost certainly low.

UH flight plans up in air

"Charter costs are just unbelievable now for us," Donovan said. "It is getting to be stratospheric."

For example, Donovan said the Warriors paid $85,000 to charter to San Jose, Calif. for last year's game with the Spartans and $125,000 to Idaho for the game with the Vandals, but have been quoted a $319,000 fare for Fresno State this year.

With a school-record-tying six road games on the schedule, the costs figure to hit hard a budget already projected to run $1.5 million in the red for the upcoming fiscal year that begins July 1.

UH, like the traveling public, is at the mercy of rapidly rising jet fuel costs. Fuel that was $52 a barrel in January 2007 when UH secured last season's air travel has rocketed to more than $120 a barrel. Moreover, Aloha Airlines, which has carried the bulk of UH charters in recent years, shut down March 31. ATA, a low-cost operator between Hawai'i and the West Coast, ceased operations three days later.

Honolulu Star-Bulletin

IAA Central Arkansas is getting $125,000 (net) next year, making the payout total cost around $500,000 (if not higher, depnding on fuel prices) to UH.

The Log Cabin Democrat also reported UH will pay UCA $125,000 for the game.

"It's another landmark game for our program, one that's just another step in what we're trying to build here," UCA coach Clint Conque said. "It's good for the school and our conference."

Even if you break even on the deal it is going to do nothing but great things for the recruiting. Great exposure and a great experience for the athletes. This game would be a no brainer. It would appear that future scheduling is in good hands and going wonderful. Go Sioux.

With the next group of recruits having Jr and Sr year playoff eligibility if they redshirt, we should be entering the sweet spot for recruits. In 2010, a player would get a trip to Hawaii, Idaho, UC-Davis, USD, and two other (southern/Texas?) locales.