SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

While it's certainly exciting to see Texas Tech on the schedule, I wonder whether 2009 is too soon. UND's first DI class will only be redshirt freshmen in 2009. It could get really ugly against a top-25 FBS team. I do see some merit in scheduling the game, but I just hope the primary reason wasn't because fundraising is not going as well as hoped and they needed the payday. Either way, now that it's scheduled, I'm looking forward to it.

How does that compare to the UMN, Ball State and CMU paydays? Does Texas Tech pay for travel on top of the 350K?

I think MN averaged 325 or 350 - CMU was 250 and Ball State was 150 or 200. The big plus was MN as a bus trip is alot cheaper than flying. I can't remember if we flew to the other games or not. Usually when a school gives you a guaranteed pay out they don't pick up any expenses.

How does that compare to the UMN, Ball State and CMU paydays? Does Texas Tech pay for travel on top of the 350K?

Ball State: $150,000(2006)

Central Michigan: $200,000(2007)

Minnesota: $300,000(2006, 2007)

Iowa State: $350,000(2009, 2014)*

*Not 100% certain on the 2009 contract. I couldn't find a reliable source that included the amount.

McFeely

Shield your eyes as you page down to avoid pictures of David Hasselhoff, Yanni, Zamfir and mini-KISS...to get to his thoughts on the UND-TT game.

Overall...his thoughts are a shortened version of this thread.

Hey Mike...are you a lurker or do you post too?

Personally, I think Faison/Brekke/Mussman/whoever is playing a very dangerous game. Taylor and Bohl were very careful to craft a script that ended with the Bison in a position to contend for a national championship in 2008. Any I-A/FBS games were mainly added as a measuring stick while creating a little excitement as a added bonus. The one thing the pair absolutely didn't want was a demoralizing defeat that left players injured and out for the rest of that season. Playing Texas Tech this early in your transition just seems like a prime example of that type of situation. Maybe you'll surprise the hell out of everyone and make it a good game, but the odds are not in your favor. The seemingly logical conclusion is that UND athletics needs the money.

I don't always agree with Doug Fullerton, but he made a lot of sense in one of his recent interviews. In it, he was asked about the feasibility of Montana going FBS. In response, he compared Boise State to Idaho. He claimed a major difference was the reliance on bodybag games(my term, not his). According to him, Boise State only played one game that fell into that category since they've moved to FBS. Idaho, on the other hand, has based their budget around these games. Fullerton claimed that that reliance has almost doomed Idaho to be a perpetual bottom feeder in the FBS(again, my words). Those bodybag games are an almost guaranteed loss, a loss of a home game and all the revenue and excitement that home games generate, a high risk for needless injuries, and no real national attention; all in an effort to balance the books. The model Boise State has used is to play as many home games as possible to build interest and then turn that interest into money through ticket sales and donations.

I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to see the local similarities. If this TT game is just to balance the budget, then I hope it doesn't become a recurring theme. If it does, that would raise a big-ass red flag for me. Of course, I'm just an interested outside observer; it's your program.

Personally, I think Faison/Brekke/Mussman/whoever is playing a very dangerous game. Taylor and Bohl were very careful to craft a script that ended with the Bison in a position to contend for a national championship in 2008. Any I-A/FBS games were mainly added as a measuring stick while creating a little excitement as a added bonus. The one thing the pair absolutely didn't want was a demoralizing defeat that left players injured and out for the rest of that season. Playing Texas Tech this early in your transition just seems like a prime example of that type of situation. Maybe you'll surprise the hell out of everyone and make it a good game, but the odds are not in your favor. The seemingly logical conclusion is that UND athletics needs the money.

I don't always agree with Doug Fullerton, but he made a lot of sense in one of his recent interviews. In it, he was asked about the feasibility of Montana going FBS. In response, he compared Boise State to Idaho. He claimed a major difference was the reliance on bodybag games(my term, not his). According to him, Boise State only played one game that fell into that category since they've moved to FBS. Idaho, on the other hand, has based their budget around these games. Fullerton claimed that that reliance has almost doomed Idaho to be a perpetual bottom feeder in the FBS(again, my words). Those bodybag games are an almost guaranteed loss, a loss of a home game and all the revenue and excitement that home games generate, a high risk for needless injuries, and no real national attention; all in an effort to balance the books. The model Boise State has used is to play as many home games as possible to build interest and then turn that interest into money through ticket sales and donations.

I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to see the local similarities. If this TT game is just to balance the budget, then I hope it doesn't become a recurring theme. If it does, that would raise a big-ass red flag for me. Of course, I'm just an interested outside observer; it's your program.

When you are not playoff eligible for 4 years though, does it really matter? They can start worrying about their reputation in years 3 and 4. For now this game serves to up the profile of sioux athletics in the minds of their fans, and provides a decent payday. That's all. If in years 3 and 4 they are playing games that could be potential body bag games, then I'd start to worry a little more. When FBS games are only 1-2 games a year, its not that big of a deal, even if you get blown out once. Idaho is different, they're FBS. They usually have multiple body bag games a year, some in conference. Multiple beat downs do nothing for your program.

I just want to concentrate on the game and the great excitement surrounding it.

My question is....Who the hell is gunna cover Crabtree??!?!?!

Not exactly going out on a limb here...but he will do whatever he wants. Pressure without relying on the blitz will be important.

There's nothing like game planning a year out. :huh:

I, for one, was thrilled to read the Herald article about the Sioux/TT game! Coincidentally, my best friend is a Texas Tech alum and the two of us are going to the Tech/Longhorns game this October. We have already planned a trip back next year for the game with the Sioux.

As far as the bickering back and forth between Bison and Sioux fans, I think there is merit on both sides of the argument. Neither side is wrong-it's simply a philosophical difference of opinion. I think that Sioux fans will be increasingly excited about this game with Texas Tech and you will see a lot of green at Jones Stadium. Furthermore, the exposure, recruiting tool, money, and the experience the program is giving the players who, let's face it, are not playing for any post season trophies is big. I think that by scheduling games against high profile opponents like TT, it serves to encourage kids to come to UND during this transition phase.

I've already begun the trash talking with my buddy from Tech, telling him that we (The Sioux) are going to kick their arses!!!

GO SIOUX!

I'll go out on a limb and say next year he will be playing on Sundays or at least I hope so.

I'm pretty sure that Crabtree was a true freshman last year and did not redshirt therefore he has to stay in school for 2 more years and will be playing against the Sioux (probably going for 250 yds and 4 TDs or something)

Also I hope that Sioux Crew will consider offering a low-cost bus trip down there to help the sioux show good fan support on the road!

I think it's a pretty bold assumption you're making that this game is needed to balance the budget. I know for a fact UND football alone has raised over a million dollars from donations made through the Impact scholarship program. If this were really all about money there would be no reason to schedule the Idaho game as the guarantee is likely small and will provide little revenue after the costs of flying out there. I think this game is more about UND football establishing who they are and demonstrating where they want to be. To steal a phrase from the Bi-son, we are the team that will play "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" and we're actually walking the walk unlike our counterparts to the south.

I think it's a pretty bold assumption you're making that this game is needed to balance the budget. I know for a fact UND football alone has raised over a million dollars from donations made through the Impact scholarship program. If this were really all about money there would be no reason to schedule the Idaho game as the guarantee is likely small and will provide little revenue after the costs of flying out there. I think this game is more about UND football establishing who they are and demonstrating where they want to be. To steal a phrase from the Bi-son, we are the team that will play "Anyone, Anywhere, Anytime" and we're actually walking the walk unlike our counterparts to the south.

I couldn't agree more with your last sentence. I prefer that our football program take this approach similar to Fresno State. That football program will play anyone, anywhere, anytime and they've had proven success, remember when they went into Madison and beat the Badgers? I like this balls-out approach by UND and I think it will create more attention and interest among Sioux fans as well as create new ones in the process.

I must say, that is an awesome team to schedule, and I am jealous. But, you guys are still 4 years behind us, you could schedule whoever you want, and the truth is that we made the jump before you. To the poster that said "the big brother is now DI" or whatever. How many national championships do you guys have exactly to be called "big brother" Yes we sucked during the '90's, guess you guys sucked the 30 years before that. Can't wait til we play again, and while you guys play St. Cloud this year we actually have some games this year that count. And DaveK, you can piss and moan all you want, but you know I am right.

Using this logic why is Appalachian State taking a risk by playing LSU? Appalachian State is certainly in a position to contend for a national championship in 2008 (they are the three time FCS National Champion). They may suffer a demoralizing defeat that leaves players injured and out for the rest of the season. For what? A check? More national recognition? They have more to lose than probably anyone else in the FCS...why risk it? Why not play Miami (Ohio) instead? They must certainly realize that no BCS/FBS school will ever take them lightly again...LSU will show up to play.

Injuries? Last season our starting running back got hurt playing the Warriors of Winona State for crying out loud. Injuries can happen no matter the opponent.

Demoralizing defeat? In 1986...NDSU crushed UND 62-13 at Memorial Stadium and we never recovered. :huh:

We are broke and Chapman/Taylor/Bohl > Kelley/Faison/Mussman...yeah we get it.

Good luck to you and NDSU this season. Make some noise.

DISCLAIMER: The author of this commentary did not intend to imply that UND-TT is equivalent to ASU-LSU. The author figured he better point this out before some igit called him on it.

I must say, that is an awesome team to schedule, and I am jealous. But, you guys are still 4 years behind us, you could schedule whoever you want, and the truth is that we made the jump before you. To the poster that said "the big brother is now DI" or whatever. How many national championships do you guys have exactly to be called "big brother" Yes we sucked during the '90's, guess you guys sucked the 30 years before that. Can't wait til we play again, and while you guys play St. Cloud this year we actually have some games this year that count. And DaveK, you can piss and moan all you want, but you know I am right.

Four years is just a blip on the radar over the course of a 100+ year old rivalry. The overall record over the course of the series would support the fact that UND was a much more dominant program. UND for the most part owned NDSU in the 60's, 70, 90's, and early 00's. Sure the Bi-son were dominant in the 80's with their national titles but the titles of that decade have lost a lot of their luster. In 10 years we'll see who has the better progam. My bets are on the Sioux and I bet it won't take a full 10 years either. Remember that UND has been the premier institution in this state since it's inception and the Ag college will always take a back seat when it comes to the U.

Overall...his thoughts are a shortened version of this thread.

Hey Mike...are you a lurker or do you post too?

He has cited "Internet message boards" once or twice when directly quoting threads, but for the most part leaves such unattributed. The "citations" usually just leave me chuckling at their unwillingness to actually properly cite the site by name -- can you imagine someone here quoting a Forum column and attributing it to "a column in a printed newspaper". :huh:

PS -- Nice pickup on the game, UND. You can tell UND did something good when the thread about it attracts >50% posts from Bison fans; they were getting bored with us for a while there.

Four years is just a blip on the radar over the course of a 100+ year old rivalry. The overall record over the course of the series would support the fact that UND was a much more dominant program. UND for the most part owned NDSU in the 60's, 70, 90's, and early 00's. Sure the Bi-son were dominant in the 80's with their national titles but the titles of that decade have lost a lot of their luster. In 10 years we'll see who has the better progam. My bets are on the Sioux and I bet it won't take a full 10 years either. Remember that UND has been the premier institution in this state since it's inception and the Ag college will always take a back seat when it comes to the U.

NDSU was 5-5 against UND in the 60s and 5-5 against UND in the 70s. I guess you can call that domination if you want. NDSU also won 3 national titles over that time period. You might want to look some facts up before you go spouting off.

To get back on topic, I have come to the conclusion that this a good game for UND. You could get killed but it is just one game and one game does not make you a cupcake for hire. Ultimately, I think this game will bring some excitement to your program, provide a nice check, and give the players something extra to train for and look forward to.

The only way you can lose in a game like is if you are expected to win but get killed and as of now that isn't the case.

NDSU was 5-5 against UND in the 60s and 5-5 against UND in the 70s. I guess you can call that domination if you want. NDSU also won 3 national titles over that time period. You might want to look some facts up before you go spouting off.

To get back on topic, I have come to the conclusion that this a good game for UND. You could get killed but it is just one game and one game does not make you a cupcake for hire. Ultimately, I think this game will bring some excitement to your program, provide a nice check, and give the players something extra to train for and look forward to.

The only way you can lose in a game like is if you are expected to win but get killed and as of now that isn't the case.

Thank you for being a reasonable Bison fan who can post with a clear headed view and give your opinion on this situation

Yes, but UND also won 12 in a row from 1952 through 1964 and held a lopsided advantage in the all-time series. UND also had a number of excellent teams including one undefeated team during that time period who were denied a shot at the national championship due the lack of a playoff system. But in the end who really cares anymore since talking about the 50's and the 80's are both equally ridiculous. A UND football team hasn't defeated NDSU since 2003 and an NDSU football team hasn't beaten a UND team since 2000. This bickering could be settled on the field but your administration is full of arrogant blowhards who think the only way NDSU can maintain their current level of success is by never giving us a chance to defeat you on a football field. Cowardly? I'd say so, but then again listening to some of the BS coming out of your fans mouths the last few days maybe Bohl doesn't think the Bi-son are ready for that sort of game yet. After all the poor little Bi-son wouldn't want to embarass themselves.

Hey, I gotta start by saying that I am excited about this game and I love the idea of playing big time FCS teams. TT is a really good team this year and will be again next year when we play them, so obviously everybody knows what to expect going into this game. The key is to play the game with honor and respect and to put up an honest effort.

As far as the UND vs. NDSU transitions and who is doing/did it better...I don't really give a rip. NDSU took a cautious approach into their transition and built a program that enjoyed success early and will, in all likelihood, continue to be very successful. It seems UND has decided to take a great leap and try to schedule more high profile opponents...and we'll have to see how that works out.

I do recall, however, hearing Bobby Bowden discuss how he turned FSU into a big time program. He talked about how he went around scheduling games against the best teams possible that would play against them. He didn't care that they were getting beaten early and often, but he did care about getting exposure for an emerging football program in the already crowded football scene in Florida. Now I'm not suggesting that UND will be the next FSU...but it just goes to show that this methodology has worked for schools in the past...and it should be exciting. I hope that UND uses all of the connections it has to put a lot of big time programs on our schedule over the next 10 years...

If part of the reason for taking the game against Texas Tech is to get the UND name out there, it is already having an affect. From Lubbock to College Station to Dallas...

UND to get $350,000

Tech will pay the University of North Dakota a $350,000 guarantee for the Fighting Sioux to come to Lubbock for the 2009 season opener.

The guarantee is a little higher than what Tech usually has paid Division I-AA schools to come in.

Bobby Gleason, Tech deputy athletic director and chief financial officer, said increased travel costs are to blame.

UND is transitioning this season from NCAA Division II to Division I-AA. Division II schools are allowed to give 36 scholarships, compared to Division I-AA

That is a simple fact, and if you argue it, you are letting your heart get in the way of logic.