SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Actually there is about a 150% chance that we will get beat and beat quite badly. What the heck, it is a big payday, we are in transition, and it will still be quite an experience. We will definitely get a lot of exposure. Beleive it or not it can't hurt to tell recruits they can go along to Lubbock, Texas. Bison fans will ridicule everything we do anyway no matter what we do. It is always fine when they do something, but if UND does the same thing they laugh at it. It is just hitting a nerve with Bison fans that UND is already going to have high profile game on our schedule. UND will be playing by far a lot better team than NDSU has played so far in the Division I experience. NDSU better watch out. We're coming!!!

Indeed, the little bro to the south better watchout! The big bro is back in town! (yeah this statement looks petty and will cause bickering, but it is good old UND-NDSU rivalry talk, something that has been mising for awhile)

I like it. There is none of this "tiptoeing" into the former IA playing teams like Ball State or Central Michigan like a certain school to the south.

Congrats on playing a Big 12 team, it will help with exposure, but you schedule 1 FBS game and start bashing NDSU, remember there is a certain team fron Idaho, you guys are scheduled out for 2 years with, and CMU, Ball. St, Minnesota, and Wyoming would kill them any day and every day. Pretty bad when Idaho won't play Montana anymore because the constant a**kickings! little statistic NDSU 3-1 against FBS 1-1 against BCS!

Nothing wrong with playing TT in transition, they might kill you but it doesn't matter anyway because you are building a program. Even as great as our transition was we still took some licks, Cal Poly absolutely thrashed us one year and that game gave Bohl and Co. a wake up call as to just what you need to be successful in DI.

Also, I think it would have been interesting to see who Taylor would have scheduled if Minnesota didn't have the scheduling issues they had and didn't need games. We very well could have ended up playing a Texas Tech or Nebraska.

Let me know how it works out. Getting the shi$ kicked out of you before you have the players you want and are up to 63 scholarships is one way to approach DI. NDSU had chances to play some of the powers in BCS but decided to play teams they had a chance to win against. Good luck with the game.

Sometimes the stuff NDSU people say just amazes me. Not all of the fans, but some of them.

I don't know if I would consider Texas Tech a power in the BCS, but they're a solid football team. A lot more solid than Minnesota, Ball State, or Central Michigan. Combined.

What "powers in BCS" team was NDSU going to play that they decided not to? If you think back 3(4?) years to your second year in transition, would NDSU have jumped at the opportunity to play a team at the same level as Texas Tech, even though there's not a great chance of winning? You better believe they would. You would have been silly not to. Hell, UND might even win next year.

Remember September 6, 2006? I was there. We were playing Northern Iowa, National Runner-Up the year before in the I-AA. Not many people thought we would be close, let alone win. On the road, 63 scholarships to 36 scholarships. We had a lot to lose that year, not just the game. I'm not guaranteeing we will beat Texas Tech next year, but stranger things have happend. These situations help build the foundation for the future. Win or lose.

Good scheduling move by the Sioux. Its TT Raiders, not the Aggies or Longhorms, so I'm not convinced it will be a blowout. TT sometimes steps up to the top group, but not consistently like the Aggies and Horms. Good scheduling move.

Texas Tech is preseason #14 this year...and should be just as good next year. This is not even close to the same thing as the N. Iowa scenario. If UND stays within four td's I would be quite happy. Even though there is next to no chance of winning, I am excited to see UND get this type of game.

If that's true Dave, those quotes are easy to find. Post a link.

He can't. But I'll bet you could find some comments from Sioux fans excited about a 2 year contract to play 1-11 Idaho.

If I remember properly, Central Michigan played Purdue in a bowl last year and were ahead or tied with a couple of minutes left in the game.

But NDSU talked up their D1 opponents (Ball State, Minnesota, Central Michigan) as if they were powerhouse football factories. Lame.

We didn't have to talk Minnesota up with comments like this....

NDSU isn't UC Davis, and Stanford isn't Minnesota. If NDSU was half as good as their fans think they are this would potentially be a somewhat competitive game. The fact of the matter is that they're a Johnny Come Lately D-1AA program that was very recently left out of the D2 playoffs on a regular basis. Minnesota is annually a borderline top 25 team in D-1A.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=166818

He can't. But I'll bet you could find some comments from Sioux fans excited about a 2 year contract to play 1-11 Idaho.

If I remember properly, Central Michigan played Purdue in a bowl last year and were ahead or tied with a couple of minutes left in the game.

Count me as a Sioux fan excited to have a two year contract with Idaho. It gets the Sioux name out in the west, which will likely help with recruiting. Also, I can see Sioux fans in the SeaTac metro making the trek to the games.

So let me get this straight, we've had Bi-son fans ripping UND for scheduling too strong an FBS team (Texas Tech) and too weak an FBS team in the same thread. Do they ever get dizzy from their own spin in Fargo? Perhaps the goldilocks at the Ag College will tell us which FBS teams are "just right" for us to schedule.

But NDSU talked up their D1 opponents (Ball State, Minnesota, Central Michigan) as if they were powerhouse football factories. Lame.

Not at all.

We expected to beat the Gophers last year. In 2006, we talked them up because they went to 6 straight bowl games. That was a decent Gophers team.

Ball State was not high profile. But it was the first time we went head to head with a D1-A school with 80 some scholorships. It was a measuring stick and proof we could win. Not a great team but still an important win in the history of a transitioning team.

Central Michigan, well, they did win the MAC 2 years in a row, almost beat Purdue in a bowl game, and have a QB that is being mentioned as a possible Heisman Candidate. It was an impressive win. (granted it wasn't against LSU but still impressive)

2008 Wyoming - We expect to win.

2009 Iowa State - We expect to win.

I think it's cool you guys are playing Texas Tech. No, we're not jealous at all. Is it a high profile game? Not big time but it's a big deal for the Sioux. It's your first ever game vs a school with 80 scholorships. Now if you were playing Nebraska or Oklahoma... then you'll get us all jealous!

We expect to be playing Big Ten schools down the road.

The bottom line is that UND and NDSU will have 2 different transitions. NDSU started out by playing some decent teams. Ball State and CM were teams that they felt they could beat and make a name for themselves while also getting a paycheck. The Minnesota matchups were no brainers because they had regional appeal, a matchup vs. a Big Ten school, and in the case of the 2nd game, a winnable game. NDSU also had the advantage of moving first, gathering interest in their program

Not at all.

We expected to beat the Gophers last year. In 2006, we talked them up because they went to 6 straight bowl games. That was a decent Gophers team.

Ball State was not high profile. But it was the first time we went head to head with a D1-A school with 80 some scholorships. It was a measuring stick and proof we could win. Not a great team but still an important win in the history of a transitioning team.

Central Michigan, well, they did win the MAC 2 years in a row, almost beat Purdue in a bowl game, and have a QB that is being mentioned as a possible Heisman Candidate. It was an impressive win. (granted it wasn't against LSU but still impressive)

2008 Wyoming - We expect to win.

2009 Iowa State - We expect to win.

I think it's cool you guys are playing Texas Tech. No, we're not jealous at all. Is it a high profile game? Not big time but it's a big deal for the Sioux. It's your first ever game vs a school with 80 scholorships. Now if you were playing Nebraska or Oklahoma... then you'll get us all jealous!

We expect to be playing Big Ten schools down the road.

It would appear that it is going to be a fairly high profile game. Texas Tech is ranked 14 in the country on the first poll. They did beat Oklahoma last year. They just simply are a lot better team than Ball State, Cent. Michigan and the Gophers. Depending on what Texas Tech does again this year they could have a real high profile. An example would be if they are playing on New Years Day again or if they are in the hunt for a national title. Judging by the remarks by Bison fans it is very apparent there is no jealousy.

Sometimes the stuff NDSU people say just amazes me. Not all of the fans, but some of them.

I don't know if I would consider Texas Tech a power in the BCS, but they're a solid football team. A lot more solid than Minnesota, Ball State, or Central Michigan. Combined.

What "powers in BCS" team was NDSU going to play that they decided not to? If you think back 3(4?) years to your second year in transition, would NDSU have jumped at the opportunity to play a team at the same level as Texas Tech, even though there's not a great chance of winning? You better believe they would. You would have been silly not to. Hell, UND might even win next year.

Remember September 6, 2006? I was there. We were playing Northern Iowa, National Runner-Up the year before in the I-AA. Not many people thought we would be close, let alone win. On the road, 63 scholarships to 36 scholarships. We had a lot to lose that year, not just the game. I'm not guaranteeing we will beat Texas Tech next year, but stranger things have happend. These situations help build the foundation for the future. Win or lose.

NDSU had chances to play some teams like TT but decided that being blown out early in their transition wouldn't do anyone any good. The scheduling of Idaho is good for a transitioning team but a team like TT that doesn't care it they score 100 points on you is a different story. They're the kind of team that if they get you down they'll pour it on (no class). Just wished you would have scheduled them on year 4 or 5 of the transition, it would have been more interesting.

Hey DaveK.... For several years prior to the Sioux's transition you talked about how D1AA wasn't really "Division 1". Now that your Sioux are playing TT, I must ask you how that's treating you. I can't help but laugh at your past statements because they look so flippin' stupid right now. Ha!

Good luck at TT. It's a big game. I'm interested at the payday also... People on this board are talking 300-350k.... I'll be interested to hear the real number that comes out.

NDSU had chances to play some teams like TT but decided that being blown out early in their transition wouldn't do anyone any good. The scheduling of Idaho is good for a transitioning team but a team like TT that doesn't care it they score 100 points on you is a different story. They're the kind of team that if they get you down they'll pour it on (no class). Just wished you would have scheduled them on year 4 or 5 of the transition, it would have been more interesting.

Let me remind you that NDSU's administration chose to NOT play FBS compedition during its first few years. It wasn't until the last minute when the Gophers needed a game that we accepted in 2006. Bohl's philosophy was to play FBS in the last year of transition

Hey DaveK.... For several years prior to the Sioux's transition you talked about how D1AA wasn't really "Division 1". Now that your Sioux are playing TT, I must ask you how that's treating you. I can't help but laugh at your past statements because they look so flippin' stupid right now. Ha!

Good luck at TT. It's a big game. I'm interested at the payday also... People on this board are talking 300-350k.... I'll be interested to hear the real number that comes out.

$350,000

I just checked out one of the Red Raider forums to see what they were saying about the '09 schedule...there is a small debate whether they are playing the team that beat Minnesota or the one who is good at hockey.

:(

I thought fans from both North Dakota schools would get a kick out of that...

RaiderPower.com

Round 2 - A local Lubbock news channel thinks we are from South Dakota.

It's one thing to confuse us with NDSU but USD?

:huh:

Do they still teach geography in this country?

Let me remind you that NDSU's administration chose to NOT play FBS compedition during its first few years. It wasn't until the last minute when the Gophers needed a game that we accepted in 2006. Bohl's philosophy was to play FBS in the last year of transition

Didn't I just say that???