SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

20 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The University of Minnesota begs to differ. Whom do you think was probably pushing for that FCS ban? That is why I like to call it "The Minnesota Rule". That last butt-kicking at the hands of NDSU was the final straw for them.

If Minnesota was behind it, why did they continue to schedule FCS teams after losing to NDSU?  They played another four FCS teams after losing that game as recently as last year.

I would bet that the B1G Network had something to do with it.  The B1G is now playing 9 conference games, plus an additional game against a P5, leaving 2 games for G5 teams.  What games are going to look better for TV/strength of schedule, games against Navy and SMU, or Navy and Indiana St?

I don't think losing games to NDSU made them happy though, no doubt.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

If Minnesota was behind it, why did they continue to schedule FCS teams after losing to NDSU?  They played another four FCS teams after losing that game as recently as last year.

I would bet that the B1G Network had something to do with it.  The B1G is now playing 9 conference games, plus an additional game against a P5, leaving 2 games for G5 teams.  What games are going to look better for TV/strength of schedule, games against Navy and SMU, or Navy and Indiana St?

I don't think losing games to NDSU made them happy though, no doubt.

How many of those games were signed before the final NDSU game? Serious question, as I have no idea. It just seemed funny that the anti-FCS rule came out right around the time NDSU was blowing out Minnesota at TCF Bank Stadium.

23 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The University of Minnesota begs to differ. Whom do you think was probably pushing for that FCS ban? That is why I like to call it "The Minnesota Rule". That last butt-kicking at the hands of NDSU was the final straw for them.

Actually came from the B1G commish to have stronger schedules and make B1G contenders more attractive for the college football playoff. Minnesota played New Hampshire in 2012,  Eastern Illinois in 2014, Indian State last year, and will play South Dakota State in 2019 and I believe only the New Hampshire game was scheduled before the last loss to NDSU so that loss to NDSU had absolutely nothing to do with it. Yeah nobody was happy with losing to NDSU but at that time people understood the program wasn't in great shape as it was Kill's 1st season and Brewster had left the program in terrible shape.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Per Tom Miller, UND will pay MVSU $230,000 for the game.

51 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Ish!!  Crap team and spend that kind of cash.  MAJOR FAIL.  Why not a home and home with any mid level FCS??

You should never pay another FSC team to play you. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Ish!!  Crap team and spend that kind of cash.  MAJOR FAIL.  Why not a home and home with any mid level FCS??

Kennedy wants to copy NDSU and we do so by scheduling a terrible southern team to come up north for an early season whoopin just like they used to do every year.

I don't see scheduling MVSU as a bad thing because we already have two tough OOC games. I would be concerned if we had a OOC schedule such as Montana: Valpo, FBS, Savanah State. 

Sam Houston and Washington will be tough games so in this schedule year a 99.9% chance of a FCS win seems like a smart move to me.

17 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Sweet. The Crookston of FCS.

14 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

You should never pay another FSC team to play you. 

The article in the Heraldo today said that NDSU is opening the 2017 season against MVSU. And the payout is $10,000 more than ours ($240,000 vs. $230,000). ANY FCS team is better than any D-II team or NAIA team. If it counts towards playoff eligibility, then it is worth it.

• Upvote 2

Not assuming a win - cause that is bad karma - but starting off any season with a nice  home win will help with the bandwagoners - hopefully by then most are already back on board (again not saying that any game is a guaranteed win as we have seen slow starts the past two years)

On 6/8/2017 at 9:40 AM, homer said:

3 O-coordinators in one offseason is not a good thing.  

We're gonna run the option run and shoot smashmouth vertical spread west coast pistol pro-style run-first. Understand?  

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

The article in the Heraldo today said that NDSU is opening the 2017 season against MVSU. And the payout is $10,000 more than ours ($240,000 vs. $230,000). ANY FCS team is better than any D-II team or NAIA team. If it counts towards playoff eligibility, then it is worth it.

MVSU isn't a DII team they are a FCS DI and paying them when the consensus on here is to put more money into basketball and football. $230,000 could be use for the basketball coaches and Jones has yet to have a contract.

19 minutes ago, cberkas said:

MVSU isn't a DII team they are a FCS DI and paying them when the consensus on here is to put more money into basketball and football. $230,000 could be use for the basketball coaches and Jones has yet to have a contract.

Well they also are getting a $500k pay day as of now playing U-Dub so perhaps some of that money is going there.

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

I know MVSU is an FCS team. My point was playing them is better than playing a Division II team.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I like it. This with FBS Kansas State. Need one more and maybe we will get lucky and land another home game.

I'd like to see a home and home with a decent FCS team scheduled to fill it out.  Perhaps with a former conference mate....