SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Agree totally. Also, last year Hawaii was offering a $750,000 guarantee for one game. Sure it won't be as much for a IAA, but effectively this gives UND a "bowl" game. IA schools that travel to Hawaii during the regular season often have a lower bowl following in the post-season as many of their fan's travel budgets were already blown. Since UND won't be in the playoffs anyway, it beats heading to Youngstown.

UND is not listed yet, but 2010 appears to have openings.

Hawai'i's 2009-2012 Non-conference Schedule

they must not update that site a lot as we arent on idaho's schedules either.

I didn't come up with that number, just using what was previously posted. Seems very high to me but I do know that a big part of the package Hawaii puts together for a visiting team is flight, hotel, parties, sight seeing etc. We will make a decent amount of money after all that but I would agree that the total package is nowhere near 750k. They are broke as it is out there, last year helped but it is going to be back to normal now, I would think.

Absolutely a great game for a FCS team in transition! The bolded potion is why many playoff eligible teams are very hesitant on taking a game at Hawaii. The players can easily lose focus and treat the game as a vacation, with possible repercussions later in the season/playoffs. However, while in transition, how many recruits would absolutely love the chance for a free trip to Hawaii?? Nice reward for those student-athletes that are helping build the program during transition, as well.

Has anyone heard when there is will be a confirmation of the 2009 UND football schedule? I see that USD already has their schedule out.

I asked the AD that very question recently and apparently we have one last game to confirm and ink the deal and then they will release the schedule. In other words, I would assume that we will hear something very soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Dan Hammer said on the post game show of the UC Davis game tonight that "we will be back here next year". I wonder if he meant simply California in general, or specifically if UND plays UC Davis on the road again next year? :angry:

The GWFC schedule next year should be UC Davis and USD at home and Southern Utah and Cal Poly on the road. Anything less would be disappointing.

The GWFC schedule next year should be UC Davis and USD at home and Southern Utah and Cal Poly on the road. Anything less would be disappointing.

Hammer is correct. We will be back in Davis next year again. Not a bad thing. I was at the game and it is a great venue for a game. They were beatable, we just will need to sharpen up . Cal Poly will be coming to GF next year and I would presume that we will be out to Southern Utah next year.

So a poster from Iona College on AGS mentioned that they are scheduled to play North Dakota next year but their program is in jeopardy of being cut. Iona looks to be an independent non-scholly school. Any thoughts on the game itself if it is true and/or the fact that we might be looking for another game if they do lose their program?

AGS

So a poster from Iona College on AGS mentioned that they are scheduled to play North Dakota next year but their program is in jeopardy of being cut. Iona looks to be an independent non-scholly school. Any thoughts on the game itself if it is true and/or the fact that we might be looking for another game if they do lose their program?

AGS

I don't have any insight, but the poster on AGS appears to be a part of the Iona football team or program, so I'd guess its true.

This is probably one of UND's home games. If Iona drops football, I'd imagine UND would try its best to replace it with an FCS, but might have to resort to a DII or DIII.

Why are we even considering scheduling a school who potentially may be dropping their football program next year? I hope there is a contingency plan to replace them on the schedule with. Seems very risky to me given the timing and circumstance UND finds itself in. IMO, it shouldn't even be an option at this point. If true, this is the first time I will have questioned A.D. Faison and his decision making.

Why are we even considering scheduling a school who potentially may be dropping their football program next year? I hope there is a contingency plan to replace them on the schedule with. Seems very risky to me given the timing and circumstance UND finds itself in. IMO, it shouldn't even be an option at this point. If true, this is the first time I will have questioned A.D. Faison and his decision making.

Because when you play in a conference with only 5 members, you have to find 7 non-conference games to fill out an 11 game schedule. That is alot of games to find every year. Teams that play in conferences with more members like the Big Sky and MVFC need only to find less than half that number to fill out a full season's schedule.

You have to keep in mind that FCS teams are not standing in line for a chance to travel to Grand Forks, ND to play UND in football. First of all, they know there is a good chance they may lose the game in the Alerus, the cost of travel to Grand Forks is expensive and UND can't afford to pay large guarantees. Couple that with the fact that a game in Grand Forks isn't likely to help a team's recruiting efforts nor entice a bunch of their fans to travel for the game (as opposed to a game in a more exciting or more populated location). Scheduling is going to be very tough for quite a while. Once we get into a larger FB conference, it will help a bunch.

Bottom line - you need to have some patience and not assume that the AD is trying to line up a more attractive home schedule!

I don't have any insight, but the poster on AGS appears to be a part of the Iona football team or program, so I'd guess its true.

This is probably one of UND's home games. If Iona drops football, I'd imagine UND would try its best to replace it with an FCS, but might have to resort to a DII or DIII.

Yes, the plan is that Iona is on the home schedule for next season. The Hawaii game in '10 is not a done deal by any means, either.

This is without much research but I am not so sure that Iona is non scholly and have sort of a pseudo conference similar to us out east. Either way it would be a good game to have at home because not every opponent will be texas tech or even be willing to come to our place.

They are in the MAAC for sports but the MAAC dropped football last year. That is why they are playing an independent schedule.

Travel Costs Hitting Athletic Departments

At the Big 12 Conference meetings in May, the prospect of league football rivals facing each other in lieu of far-flung non-conference opponents was broached, as was the idea of replacing two non-conference basketball games with additional Big 12 games. Kansas State University deputy athletic director Jim Epps, for one, thinks such changes may be imminent, in part because travel costs have inflated the going rate of non-conference games that guarantee payouts to the visitors. "Particularly in the sport of football, buy games have just gone through the roof. Texas paid an opponent [Florida Atlantic] $900,000" this year, Epps notes. "But scheduling inflation is also on the rise in basketball, where schools are demanding $60,000, $70,000, $80,000. It wasn't that many years ago that we were paying them $15,000 to $20,000."

A conference like the Big 12 is considering going from eight league games to ten? If the SEC and ACC also followed suit, the number of guarantee games would drop by 72, as would pay-outs. Big-money guarantee games could get rare. The danger for the Big 12 is, with 10 conference games, the schedule would further lessen the odds of having an unbeaten team (eight conference games is difficult enough), decreasing the likelihood of championship appearances (and help the Big East, Big Ten, and Pac-10's chances). But with fewer non-conference games, the Big East would almost be forced to add at least two football schools, starting another domino effect.

Does anyone know how many home games we will be playing next year? Mussman stated on the Sioux sports show last night that there will be a total of 11 games. He said that 10 have already been scheduled and that once the last game is signed the schedule will be released.

I think this is what we know so far:

HOME:

UC-Davis

South Dakota

Idaho State

DII team

AWAY:

Cal-Poly

Southern Utah

Northwestern St. ?

Texas Tech

Is there any games I'm missing or incorrect about?

Coach also stated on last nights program that there will not be a return game to Grand Forks by SELA...

I guess I wasn't quick enough with my typing :(

Two more 2009 opponents to add:

Weber State

Stephen F. Austin

Why dont you get your Pres. Kelley to give our Pres. Chapman a call an set up a game in Fargo for next year or the year after just to see what happens!

Considering UND and NDSU had sport games schedules between them until UND won (in baseball) and then chapman backed out on the rest of the sports and hasn't played us since, call your own Ag Pres first and then we'll talk (in baseball or any sport).

Considering UND and NDSU had sport games schedules between them until UND won (in baseball) and then chapman backed out on the rest of the sports and hasn't played us since, call your own Ag Pres first and then we'll talk (in baseball or any sport).

How's that DI move working out? I'm sure it will be easier next year!!! :(