SiouxSports.com Forum

Beasley & NBA draft

jimdahl

From what my Jazz fan friends have been telling me, Utah was high on Beasley for the first round. Not sure the validity of information, but for some reason, my friends usually tend to be pretty well informed when it comes to Jazz basketball.

The most recent mock draft from nbadraft.net has Jerome going to the Knicks as the 30th pick. The thing that sticks out to me is that only five college seniors are predicted to be picked ahead of the Beas. I also noticed that Rick Rickert's stock is falling fast. Jerome is now predicted to be drafted well ahead of Rickert, as well he should in my opinion.

UND92,96 Posted on Jun 9 2003, 11:47 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most recent mock draft from nbadraft.net has Jerome going to the Knicks as the 30th pick. The thing that sticks out to me is that only five college seniors are predicted to be picked ahead of the Beas. I also noticed that Rick Rickert's stock is falling fast. Jerome is now predicted to be drafted well ahead of Rickert, as well he should in my opinion. 

Rickert's slide does not surprise me. In the state basketball tournement that I saw him play in. I did not think he was even the best player. Joe Mauer of Cretin Derham Hall was my pick as the best player. Zack Kiekow of Osseo, and Eric Crawford of Tartan were also great. Mo Hargrow of the Gophers may be the best NBA players to come out of that class. Mauer was signed by Florida State to play football and drafted by the Twins with the #1 pick in the baseball draft. Rickert does not have the weight to throw around that Beasley has at PF, and people think he is too slow for a SF. Rickert does have a nice touch from outside and is a good ball handler.

Here is an interview with the Beas' done by HoopsHype.com:

HoopsHype.com Interviews

Jerome Beasley: "Give me a year or two and I could be starting"

by Steven Koek / May 28, 2003 - Photo: Suns.com

How has the workout structure worked for you so far in trying to showcase your talent to some of the top evaluators in the league?

Jerome Beasley: I

Thanks for providing us with the article on Beasley. It is good to see him saying positive things about UND. If he makes it, his feelings towards our program can really assist in recruiting, etc. I know Rich will try to take full advantage of his willingness to help the program.

• 2 weeks later...

If Beasley gets drafted in the first round this Thursday (the latest NBAdraft.net projection shows him selected at the last 1st round position, 29th), UND would join a select group in which its athletes were selected as 1st round picks in both the NBA and NHL drafts in the same year. This is the current 'unofficial ' club (correction/additions welcome!):

Schools with 1st Round Draft Choices in both the NBA and NHL Drafts in the same year:

1985 Michigan State, Sam Vincent, Craig Simpson

1986 Michigan State, Scott Skiles, Joe Murphy

1994 Michigan, Juwan Howard/Jalen Rose, Jason Botterill

1998 Michigan, Robert Traylor, Mike Van Ryn

2000 Minnesota, Joel Przybilla, Jeff Taffe

and here are two possible additions:

2003 North Dakota (?), Jerome Beasley, Zach Parise

2003 Minnesota (?), Rick Richert, Thomas Vanek

I found this on ESPN Insider about the Beas' having a shot to go in the middle of the first! This is the highest I have seen him possibly projected out of the many mock drafts. They also have Dallas at #29 being interested, but have him actually going to Cleveland at #31, which is 2nd pick of 2nd round. Also,NBADraft.net has him back in the 1st round to Dallas at #29 and Hoopshype.com has him at #27 to Memphis.

From ESPN Insider.com:

18. New Orleans Hornets

Jarvis Hayes

Shooting Guard | 6-7, 220

Junior | Georgia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Needs: Power Forward, Shooting Guard | Depth Chart

No 2: Alexsandar Pavlovic, Yugoslavia

Sleeper Pick: Jerome Beasley, North Dakota

The Skinny: The Hornets are slowly edging their way into front office purgatory alongside the Clippers, Wizards and Warriors. They're just flat out goofy. So forgive us if we predict a smart pick here. Hayes could go as high as No. 7 to the Bulls, No. 10 to the Wizards or No. 13 to the Grizzlies. But our guess is that he falls into the Hornets' lap at No. 18. His outside shooting touch and athleticism will be a nice complement to Baron Davis and Jamal Mashburn. If he's not around, they also like Pavlovic. And from the weird rumors department, they've been doing some extensive background checks on North Dakota's Jerome Beasley. Originally, the Hornets' plan was to take someone like Brian Cook here. With Cook moving up and out, at least one source in New Orleans claims that Bob Bass has become enamored with Beasley. This is pretty high for Beasley to go, but factor in the goofy comments above, and it just might make some sense.

Here is what ESPN insider had to say about their projection of him falling to Cleveland at #31. It could Jerome and LeBron leading Cavalier back to the playoffs!! ;)

31.Cleveland Cavaliers

Jerome Beasley

Power Forward | 6-10, 242

Senior | North Dakota

The Skinny: The Cavs struck gold in the second round last year with Duke's Carlos Boozer. Can they do it again this year? Beasley, the top Division II player this year, has the size and NBA body you love in a power forward, and he has a sweet face-the-basket jumper. He isn't as physical in the paint, but the Cavs will have Boozer to do the dirty work. Beasley could be one of the steals of the draft at No. 31.