SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-09 Schedule

bincitysioux

Check NDSU's schedule and see who they are playing...? What 5 years into transition, and still playing some of these same schools and always will, it's called economics...

I was and still very skeptical on the D1 move.....

We will never get the schools from the Big 10 / Big 12 these big time schools (within our region) will never travel and play UND......UND will be for the next 10-15 years, roadwarriors and sacrafical lambs in some cases.....

And we will still be playing a couple of local lower level Colleges ever year to fill a schedule......I'm sorry but when we get a big game at home like Texas-panhandle State Tech it will be hard to get excited. Our biggest games will big the old NCC match-ups with NDSU, SDSU, USD,UNC ect.....and they will be doing the same thing.

So what did we really accomplish, besides spending more money....?

NDSU is now in a conference, so scheduling is easier for them now. You're exactly right about it being economics. It makes sense to play regional opponents for a few warm up games and schedule fillers, just like we have been doing for years with Dickinson, Minot, VCSU, Dakota Weslyan, etc, etc.

We've gone around on this a couple times, and we just agree to disagree. I would rather play THE University of Montana than Duluth.

You said Northern Iowa is coming to GF next year. Well maybe they'll take Minot's spot on the schedule. Wouldn't you rather see them on the schedule than Augustana, for example. After all, we have won 19 of the last 21 meetings with UNI! :huh:

We've been playing local lower level colleges for years, and we'll continue to do so. But in time they will be fewer and farther between rather than more and more common like has happened in the last seven or eight years.

I don't expect Big 10 and Big 12 schools to come to GF regularily if at all, and no one really should. But what I consider our peers (athletically, academically, and demographically) probably will become regulars. Like Montana and Montana St, Idaho and Idaho St., Wyoming, Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Drake, and the list goes on and on. All those schools and about 150 others sound better to me than St. Cloud, Augustana, Bemidji, or Wayne St.

I look forward to UND basketball returning to the glory days of the 60's and 70's when they regularily competed against some of the teams that now make up the Mid-Major schools of DI.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We agree on more than you think.....

Be careful throwing around that term "Mid-Major", it could upset those that really believe that we will be playing in Div 1......?

But then again, I guess when we complete this transition, we will be competing for recruits, wins, and National titles with the likes of UCLA, Duke, Stanford, Kentucky, North Carolina ..... :huh:

I don't know what you're trying to get at. What we would define as "Mid-Major" in terms of basketaball are legitimate Division I teams. Staying in Division II would have eventually led to an entire schedule filled with schools like Valley City, Mayville, and Crookston. The lack of fan interest eventually would have killed the athletic program. Why should UND have chosen this route? What good could the school have accomplished by remaining Division II? What exactly were we supposed to sacrifice in the long run in order to compete for championships that were become more and more meaningless to the average ND sports fan?

I don't know what you're trying to get at. What we would define as "Mid-Major" in terms of basketaball are legitimate Division I teams. Staying in Division II would have eventually led to an entire schedule filled with schools like Valley City, Mayville, and Crookston. The lack of fan interest eventually would have killed the athletic program. Why should UND have chosen this route? What good could the school have accomplished by remaining Division II? What exactly were we supposed to sacrifice in the long run in order to compete for championships that were become more and more meaningless to the average ND sports fan?

I think you hit the nail on the head. Staying DII would have ended the program. You can take a look at the interest in the men's team for the last 5-8 years. I love watching NCAA bball. But I would rather stay home at watch Duke on TV than go to a home game against Valley City. A home game against UW-GB or Montana, teams I have actually seen before, is a different story. While we might have trouble getting up to the level of these teams, I have to believe that a bad team at the D1 level will outdraw even an good team at the DII level.

• 4 weeks later...

USD's 08-09 schedule is out. Go ahead and compare and contrast. Some good games on here for the Yotes and some snoozers, but that is what a transition year is. Highlights include @Cornell (who return to Verm in 09), @Cincinnati, @Notre Dame, @New Orleans, and, of course, the Sioux for 2 games!

Nov. 14 Cornell* Ithaca, N.Y. 6:00 p.m.

Nov. 16 Cincinnati* Cincinnati, Ohio 6:00 p.m.

Nov. 21-22 Minnesota State Tip-Off Classic Mankato, Minn.

Nov. 21 Post University Mankato, Minn. 3:00 p.m.

Nov. 22 Chowan Mankato, Minn. 3:00 p.m.

Nov. 25 Graceland VERMILLION 7:00 p.m.

Nov. 28-29 West Texas A&M Tournament Canyon, Texas TBA

Dec. 2 Notre Dame* South Bend, Ind. 6:30 p.m.

Dec. 6 Chadron State VERMILLION 3:00 p.m.

Dec. 13 Mayville State VERMILLION 8:00 p.m.

Dec. 16 Dana VERMILLION 7:00 p.m.

Dec. 19 Minnesota Duluth VERMILLION 7:00 p.m.

Dec. 21 Midland Lutheran VERMILLION 3:00 p.m.

Dec. 22 Southwest Minnesota State VERMILLION 7:00 p.m.

Dec. 28 University of New Orleans* New Orleans, La. 3:00 p.m.

Dec. 30 St. Olaf VERMILLION 8:00 p.m.

Jan. 3 Valley City State VERMILLION 3:00 p.m.

Jan. 10 William Penn VERMILLION 7:00 p.m.

Jan. 13 Mount Marty VERMILLION 7:00 p.m.

Jan. 15 Palm Beach Atlantic West Palm Beach, Fla. TBA

Jan. 24 North Dakota* Grand Forks, N.D. 4:00 p.m.

Jan. 31 North Dakota* VERMILLION 3:00 p.m.

Feb. 2 Lake Erie VERMILLION 7:00 p.m.

Feb. 7 SIU-Edwardsville* Edwardsville, Ill. 8:00 p.m.

Feb. 14 Seattle University* Seattle, Wash. 8:00 p.m.

Feb. 21 SIU-Edwardsville* VERMILLION 8:00 p.m.

Feb 28 Seattle University* VERMILLION 8:00 p.m.

Mar. 7-8 Independent Tournament* Grand Forks, N.D. TBA

USD's 08-09 schedule is out. Go ahead and compare and contrast. Some good games on here for the Yotes and some snoozers, but that is what a transition year is. Highlights include @Cornell (who return to Verm in 09), @Cincinnati, @Notre Dame, @New Orleans, and, of course, the Sioux for 2 games!

Nice gets at Notre Dame and Cincinnati. The Bearcats aren't what they were with Huggie coaching but still an upper echelon program. Good luck to the "Yotes". Hope it all goes well.

The Yotes are putting my MapQuest skills to the test...where the heck is Dana/Midland Lutheran/Chowan/Post University?

Graceland? Isn't that in Tennessee...are they the Elvi?

???

We agree on more than you think.....

Be careful throwing around that term "Mid-Major", it could upset those that really believe that we will be playing in Div 1......?

But then again, I guess when we complete this transition, we will be competing for recruits, wins, and National titles with the likes of UCLA, Duke, Stanford, Kentucky, North Carolina ..... :lol:

Gee and I thought that the Summit League Basketball Tournament Champion played in the NCAA DI Champion with the top 65 teams in the nation. But I'm sure your right, they instead play for the Mid-Major National Championship, right? You're an idiot.

Gee and I thought that the Summit League Basketball Tournament Champion played in the NCAA DI Champion with the top 65 teams in the nation. But I'm sure your right, they instead play for the Mid-Major National Championship, right? You're an idiot.

The top 65 teams in the nation? I don't think so. There are many "bubble teams", that would dominate in a mid-major conference, that don't make it the Big Dance. Be careful with the word "idiot".

• 2 months later...
None.

Always nice to see those resources used effectively to promote the move to D1. :) I sincerely hope we do a better job with this next year.

Does anyone know if Saturday's football game will be available on FSSN outside of Grand Forks or is that still a secret?

Always nice to see those resources used effectively to promote the move to D1. :) I sincerely hope we do a better job with this next year.

Does anyone know if Saturday's football game will be available on FSSN outside of Grand Forks or is that still a secret?

I dont think it is through FSSN. USD broadcasts all of their home games on the midco channel. So even though it should be on the midco channel for whatever markets midco serves, I wouldn't think it would be available anywhere else as FSSN is not involved in the production. That being said, midco serves quite a few markets so it should be fairly widespread.