SiouxSports.com Forum

Jordan Allard

gfhockey

It reals doesn't matter that May, Mertens and Allard were offered walk-ons at NDSU. A year from now if more money had opened up at NDSU they might of ended up with money or they would of disappeared from their program. The main thing is that whenever possible it is a huge plus to have local kids on your teams. If these players aren't good enough , they won't spend their whole career at UND. It is a risk for both parties involved. But it is a risk worth taking. I think Coach Jones has the program starting in the right direction.

Good to see the Rocky Hager mentality of recruiting is still living on at NDSU:

"If we didn't get him, we didn't want him"

I know it's hard for you to believe but both Mays and Allard would be good DII talent. They are not what you want as a core to build a DI program. They would be good walk on projects for DI schools because you never know they may work out real well. I think Coach Jones is finding out how hard it is to recruit to this area. I glad your happy with the recruits.

Dan sure seems to have a rather large interest in the quality of kids were recruiting to UND. I'm not exactly sure why he is so possessed with UND, but he sure is. I think the fact that 2 Fargo kids and 1 Devils Lake kid chose UND over NDSU must of really of hit a nerve.

Dan sure seems to have a rather large interest in the quality of kids were recruiting to UND. I'm not exactly sure why he is so possessed with UND, but he sure is. I think the fact that 2 Fargo kids and 1 Devils Lake kid chose UND over NDSU must of really of hit a nerve.

No way- I just get a kick out of everyone here. Look at how many good DI players that ND has produced and look at how many ND kids you have on the roster for 2008. I'm all for giving ND kids a chance but when you have trouble wining any DI games next year and the next you'll see my point.

All 3 are good bball players, whether they become the DI players that Woodside and Winkelman are remains to be seen. The bottom line here is Coach Jones is recruiting H.S. seniors and working to build his program from the bottom up. The transfer and JUCO thing, if overdone, doesn't work. We saw that at the end of Coach Glas' tenure.

I know the people in Fargo will tell us how these 3 aren't good enough and that's fine. The bottom line is, with the exception of the Dufault kid from Killdeer, they are as good as it gets in ND this year and they WANT to play at UND. Fargo folk can throw their own under the bus. UND folk need to support the changes we are seeing and hope these kids make an impact 2 or 3 years down the road.

No way- I just get a kick out of everyone here. Look at how many good DI players that ND has produced and look at how many ND kids you have on the roster for 2008. I'm all for giving ND kids a chance but when you have trouble wining any DI games next year and the next you'll see my point.

Ummm...the last time I checked there is this Moormann stiff that plays and starts at SU. I believe he is from ND (Dickinson). He is 6'10" and if not for his height, he wouldn't get a sniff at D1 because his talent is minimal at best. Moormann has good talent? Hardly! If you want to compare talent, the 3 new UND recruits have superior talent to Moormann, but none of them are 6'10".

I know it's hard for you to believe but both Mays and Allard would be good DII talent. They are not what you want as a core to build a DI program. They would be good walk on projects for DI schools because you never know they may work out real well. I think Coach Jones is finding out how hard it is to recruit to this area. I glad your happy with the recruits.

These are great recruits for the transistion period. These are exactly the kids you want to be the core for the transition. You need good kids who will attract local support and make the team more competitive. These kids will. They aren't going to be playing in the NCAA Final Four. These are the kids who you want to bring their lunch pail to practice everyday and will be grateful for the scholarship. As other kids come in to the program, they are going to have to be better than these kids to play. Before we worry about beating someone else we need to get better and set the tome for the type of kid we want and the work ethic it will take to play here. When these kids graduate, they will be the guys who will be writing checks for the program down the road and they will be kids who the fans and younger kids can look up to. Jones knows how hard it is to recruit to this area. If they were walk ons at another DI school, they would still be great additions to any program becasue of the type of student athlete they should be. They should be fun to watch develop and they aren't likely to get homesick or leave school before they graduate.

Ummm...the last time I checked there is this Moormann stiff that plays and starts at SU. I believe he is from ND (Dickinson). He is 6'10" and if not for his height, he wouldn't get a sniff at D1 because his talent is minimal at best. Moormann has good talent? Hardly! If you want to compare talent, the 3 new UND recruits have superior talent to Moormann, but none of them are 6'10".

IMO, if one were to judge purely on talent alone (and not necessarily position or years of eligibility remaining), only Woodside, Winkelman, Nelson, Tveidt and Carlson are any better players/recruits than the three North Dakotans UND signed this year. Obviously the Bison Dan's, JBB's, etc. of the world will vehemently disagree, but would anybody expect anything else from them?

Luckily for Moorman you can't teach height. I also wouldn't compare EDC players with a guy playing DI ball. How good these players will be remains to be seen, they could be the next Woodside or the next Nevin Lubarski, who knows until they play the game.

No one can ever brag about Moorman having any basketball ability. The way he plays, he'd be much better suited as a bench player on a D2 team. Watching him this year at the Barn was absolutely comical. You know you shouldn't be playing Division I basketball when Spencer Tollackson is destroying you, we all know Spence is awful.

Luckily for Moorman you can't teach height. I also wouldn't compare EDC players with a guy playing DI ball. How good these players will be remains to be seen, they could be the next Woodside or the next Nevin Lubarski, who knows until they play the game.

That is left to interpretation! You are using those words loosely with Moormann.

That is left to interpretation! You are using those words loosely with Moormann.

Just remember Moormann was a good player in ND. He lead his team to a state title, averaged 20 and 13, and was Mr. Basketball. Success in ND doesn't exactly translate to the DI level. All three of them have a lot to prove.

Just remember Moormann was a good player in ND. He lead his team to a state title, averaged 20 and 13, and was Mr. Basketball. Success in ND doesn't exactly translate to the DI level. All three of them have a lot to prove.

There are kids at 5'11" in ND HS BB that post those numbers! If you are 6'6" or taller in ND and have any BB skill you should post numbers of 20 and 13 or better. Mertens will suprise some people next year. People wet themselves over Tyler Koenig before he was hurt, but Mertens is more athletic and more polished offensively.

There are kids at 5'11" in ND HS BB that post those numbers! If you are 6'6" or taller in ND and have any BB skill you should post numbers of 20 and 13 or better. Mertens will suprise some people next year. People wet themselves over Tyler Koenig before he was hurt, but Mertens is more athletic and more polished offensively.

Koenig was 10x better defensively and a better shooter. Koenig also had some bulk and could muscle people around. Then again I played with Koenig so I'm biased.

The simple fact that there are Bison fans all over this is proof enough that they wish at least one of these young men would have walked-on rather than go to UND.

I'm pleased that Jones is getting all of these talented local kids. As was stated earlier, having some local flavor will get fans to come to the games. Sure it may be a couple of years before the fruits of labor pay off, but UND is taking steps in the right direction.

Go Sioux!!!

Mertens is enough of an athlete that both UND and NDSU recruited him heavily for football. At 6'4" or 6'5" with great leaping ability, he was a very intriguing prospect at receiver.

I am with you on Mertens, out of the three that went to UND he was the one I wanted to walk-on. He could have redshirted and may have had an impact after the big three graduated.