SiouxSports.com Forum

2008 Volleyball

GeauxSioux

Annika Smed signs with North Dakota

Albert Lea High School standout volleyball player Annika Smed signed a letter of intent Wednesday morning to attend the University of North Dakota.

Smed, 17, will receive a full scholarship and plans to study physical therapy. She was recruited by 36 universities but had her heart set on North Dakota in Grand Forks.

Mark said after Annika visited North Dakota, other schools didn

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volleyball adds five to the 2008 roster

University of North Dakota head volleyball coach Katy Peterson announced the additions of Kaytlyn Aust, Taylor Bohannon, Annika Smed, Amy Stroup and Jessika Weber to the 2008 Sioux volleyball roster.

Peterson added, “This recruiting class will add athleticism and depth to our core group of returners. We needed to add more players who could play all six rotations on the floor, and we feel that we achieved that with these five players. Not only do each of the young ladies excel on the court, but they have done very well in the classroom. We have high expectations for the fall and we look forward to working with such highly dedicated and hard working student-athletes.”

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking that the area of volleyball scheduling is a place where having an athletic director for the past 7-8 months would have been helpful. Or a head coach that had some sort of DI connections, but that is for an entirely different discussion. Here are a handful of this year's opponents:

vs. Bemidji St.

vs. UM-Crookston

@ Jamestown College

vs. Mayville

@ Carleton College

@ Valley City St.

@ Dickinson St.

vs. South Dakota

@ Dakota Weslyan

vs. Dickinson St.

vs. Valley City St.

@ South Dakota

I fully expected to see many DAC and NSIC teams on the schedule, but what's with all of the away games against the NAIA's? If you ask me, there is no reason why it shouldn't look more like the Soccer schedule, with the DII's at home and some decent DI's on the road.

I'm thinking that the area of volleyball scheduling is a place where having an athletic director for the past 7-8 months would have been helpful. Or a head coach that had some sort of DI connections, but that is for an entirely different discussion. Here are a handful of this year's opponents:

vs. Bemidji St.

vs. UM-Crookston

@ Jamestown College

vs. Mayville

@ Carleton College

@ Valley City St.

@ Dickinson St.

vs. South Dakota

@ Dakota Weslyan

vs. Dickinson St.

vs. Valley City St.

@ South Dakota

I fully expected to see many DAC and NSIC teams on the schedule, but what's with all of the away games against the NAIA's? If you ask me, there is no reason why it shouldn't look more like the Soccer schedule, with the DII's at home and some decent DI's on the road.

It seems pretty weird that a schedule still hasn't been released when the first match is presumably just two and a half months away. I can't imagine how frustrated everyone would be had the football schedule not been announced yet!

Both the Volleyball Page and the Soccer Page at FightingSioux.com have countdowns going until the season starts. I would hope that they would be releasing the schedules here shortly.

I knew that scheduling was going to be very difficult for football and basketball in their first seasons. But with as much time as we have had since the announcement that we were moving up, I would have thought we would see better schedules. Especially in some of the less visable sports, i.e. volleyball, soccer, softball, etc. Most DI teams play at least a couple games against lower division teams in most sports.

vs. Bemidji St.

vs. UM-Crookston

@ Jamestown College

vs. Mayville

@ Carleton College

@ Valley City St.

@ Dickinson St.

vs. South Dakota

@ Dakota Weslyan

vs. Dickinson St.

vs. Valley City St.

@ South Dakota

It does not look like a AD was needed to schedule 22 D1 Games for womens basketball, I think it is time for a change in the womens volleyball leadership.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=78407

I must reserve judgment until the full schedule is released, but one would think this would have been an area where Betty Ralston should have been an asset, as she was a long-time dI volleyball coach and presumably still has a lot of connections.

vs. Bemidji St.

vs. UM-Crookston

@ Jamestown College

vs. Mayville

@ Carleton College

@ Valley City St.

@ Dickinson St.

vs. South Dakota

@ Dakota Weslyan

vs. Dickinson St.

vs. Valley City St.

@ South Dakota

The volleyball team will play in a tournament hosted by Towson. Other participants are Lehigh and Maryland. I think they'll play all three teams.

• 3 weeks later...

Seattle University Volleyball Schedule

Seattle was able to put together a very, very nice looking volleyball schedule. We should only be so lucky. And I see that Seattle has chosen volleyball as their fast track program that will be post season eligable after 2 seasons. Is UND just not planning on doing this?

Fri, Aug 29 Boise State at Boise, Idaho 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Aug 30 Washington State at Boise, Idaho 10:00 a.m.

Sat, Aug 30 Cal State Northridge at Boise, Idaho 5:00 p.m.

Tue, Sep 02 Oregon State Connolly Center 6:00 p.m.

Thu, Sep 04 South Florida Connolly Center 4:00 p.m.

Nevada Tournament

Sat, Sep 06 UCLA at Reno, Nev. 5:00 p.m.

Sun, Sep 07 Nevada at Reno, Nev. 12:00 p.m.

Portland State Volleyball Showcase

Fri, Sep 12 Idaho at Portland, Ore. 10:00 a.m.

Fri, Sep 12 Portland at Portland, Ore. 5:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 13 Oregon State at Portland, Ore. 10:00 a.m.

Sat, Sep 13 Portland State at Portland, Ore. 2:00 p.m.

Sun, Sep 14 Oregon at Eugene, Ore. 7:00 p.m.

Husky-Redhawk Classic

Thu, Sep 18 Washington at Bank of America Arena - Seattle, Wash. 7:00 p.m.

Fri, Sep 19 Zhejiang Club Team (Exhibition) Connolly Center 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 20 San Diego Connolly Center 1:00 p.m.

Fri, Sep 26 St. Mary's at Moraga, Calif. 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Sep 27 San Francisco at San Francisco, Calif. 7:00 p.m.

Fri, Oct 10 Concordia (Ore.) Connolly Center 7:00 p.m.

SU Dig For The Cure Classic

Sat, Oct 11 Bryant Connolly Center 12:00 p.m.

Sat, Oct 11 South Dakota Connolly Center 7:00 p.m.

Sun, Oct 12 North Dakota Connolly Center 1:00 p.m.

Fri, Oct 17 Jacksonville at Jacksonville, Fla. 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Oct 18 North Florida at Jacksonville, Fla. 3:00 p.m.

Sun, Oct 19 Savannah State at Savannah, Ga. 12:00 p.m.

Tue, Oct 21 Eastern Washington at Cheney, Wash. 7:00 p.m.

Wed, Oct 22 Gonzaga at Spokane, Wash. 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Oct 25 Cal State Bakersfield Connolly Center 7:00 p.m.

Thu, Oct 30 Utah Valley State at Orem, Utah 7:00 p.m.

Fri, Oct 31 Idaho State at Pocatello, Idaho 7:00 p.m.

Sat, Nov 01 Weber State at Ogden, Utah 7:00 p.m.

Wed, Nov 12 Seattle Pacific Connolly Center 7:00 p.m.

Fri, Nov 14 - Sat, Nov 15 New to Division I Tournament at Smithfield, R.I. (Bryant University) TBA

I think you are asking for alot, the team struggled last year with that schedule and you want a full D1 schedule things would get ugly very quickly, if they can step up their play it will be easier to schedule more mid major programs. They don't want just a team to play in most cases they want to be challenged at least some. That's the difference between volleyball and women's basketball, BB will be able to compete right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Head volleyball coach Katy Peterson resigns

University of North Dakota director of athletics Brian Faison announced today that head volleyball coach Katy Peterson has resigned in order to pursue other career opportunities.

Faison also announced that assistant coach Kari Peterson has been named interim head coach for the 2008 season. A national search for a permanent replacement will be conducted following the season, according to Faison.

Hopefully the program can move forward, there still must be some communications problems within the department for nobody to know a Head Coach is leaving 2 weeks before the season starts.....?

We need a Division 1 caliber Head Coach, this season may be a loss, but for the future.....

UND volleyball: Sioux to have new coach
Kari Peterson said her sister will be taking a position in the admissions department at Minnesota State-Moorhead.
To go from being a VB coach at a school entering Division I to a position in another school's admissions department, seems very odd. Seems like someone's heart wasn't in the job. I wish her well, but :)???

The curse of Buning.

Thank the Almighty that this was one of the few Coaches that Buning hired.

I think that this is extremly selfish of this Coach to leave her team just a few weeks before the season starts. If her heart wasn't in it as evident by the schedule she put together she should have left months ago, so that new blood could have been brought in and put their own summer program together and maybe even beefed up the schedule. She should pay a price for this if she ever thinks about getting back into coaching.

I think that this is extremly selfish of this Coach to leave her team just a few weeks before the season starts. If her heart wasn't in it as evident by the schedule she put together she should have left months ago, so that new blood could have been brought in and put their own summer program together and maybe even beefed up the schedule. She should pay a price for this if she ever thinks about getting back into coaching.

I agree, I also believe she was very disingenuous about how she handled the resignation so late, so UND had no other choice but to appoint her sister as interm Coach....

Very Unprofessional (imo)

• 4 weeks later...
I agree, I also believe she was very disingenuous about how she handled the resignation so late, so UND had no other choice but to appoint her sister as interm Coach....

Very Unprofessional (imo)

Anyone know how things are looking? What is the lineup going to look like? Will any of the Freshman see some time?

Anyone know how things are looking? What is the lineup going to look like? Will any of the Freshman see some time?

Channel 11 KVLY (Fargo) just did a piece on UND Volleyball, Petersen said she was expecting a big contribution from the freshmen, there are No Seniors on this years squad.......time will tell......?

Britta Hanson (jr.) from Thompson, N.D. could be a Dominate player at this level with the right Coaching and Leadership..imo