SiouxSports.com Forum

"Reply" now quotes only most recent post

jimdahl

I should've mentioned this before it was noticed here -- I made a change to the forum so when you reply to a post it only quotes the most recent post.

This prevents big chains of 10 quotes forming in a post. That's a good thing, in that I think people often did so accidentally and it wasted a lot of time and space. However, it can also be a bad thing, because it's now a lot harder for you to quote back a couple posts, if you really want to.

Feedback has been positive for this change so far, though contrary views are always welcome.

I should've mentioned this before it was noticed here -- I made a change to the forum so when you reply to a post it only quotes the most recent post.

This prevents big chains of 10 quotes forming in a post. That's a good thing, in that I think people often did so accidentally and it wasted a lot of time and space. However, it can also be a bad thing, because it's now a lot harder for you to quote back a couple posts, if you really want to.

Feedback has been positive for this change so far, though contrary views are always welcome.

I think it is a great idea Jim...

It is about time. Those long strings are a real pain.

If I were running this board, and I thank the Good Lord everyday that I am not because then I would be losing more money than I already am, I would also get rid of the emoticons as well. ;):D;):D C'mon Jim, you know that I love you and I love all that that you put into this board, including your heart, your soul, and your money, for everyone. It is a fine fine forum. The money shots are all in good fun.

I wish we had the choice to include all or just the last or just a portion of the quotes because sometimes a reply is regarding a couple of posts together. Not unhappy with this, just putting my very small 2 cents in.

That was exactly my concern. I also frequently grab quotes from a couple different posts. You can still do that manually by quoting one post, copying the result to your clipboard, canceling, then quoting another post and pasting in the quote.

So, the tradeoff is inconveniencing people who really want to quote a couple posts vs. reducing the noise from people who just mindlessly hit reply and end up quoting 10 posts.

That was exactly my concern. I also frequently grab quotes from a couple different posts. You can still do that manually by quoting one post, copying the result to your clipboard, canceling, then quoting another post and pasting in the quote.

So, the tradeoff is inconveniencing people who really want to quote a couple posts vs. reducing the noise from people who just mindlessly hit reply and end up quoting 10 posts.

The needs of a many, should not outweigh the needs of a few........Dr. Spock (I Think) He was also talking to Jim

That really seems to be the problem at hand here, doesn't it. :D