SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 Recruiting Class

SiouxCrew11

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Piece of History....

Jefferson senior Doug Archer spent four years playing basketball on Missouri's biggest stage.

That stage just got a whole lot bigger.

Archer, a 6-foot-7 senior, signed a national letter of intent to play basketball at the University of North Dakota, a Division I program in Grand Forks, N.D. When Archer signed that letter he made history in two ways. He became the first athlete from Jefferson High School to get a full scholarship to a Division I program. He also joins the Fighting Sioux as they embark on their first foray in D-I. North Dakota will be eligible to play in Division I for the first time in school history next fall.

Offensively might be a bit of a different story. Archer spent most of his career with the Eagles playing in the post since he towered over almost all of his competition. This won't be the case at North Dakota. There Archer will likely be used a shooting guard spending his time on the perimeter. It's a big change and Archer is already working to improve his ball handling and perimeter shooting.
6'7" Shooting guard? I remember the days when I was a kid watching the Sioux. the shooting guards were 5'11" and 6'0" :D

I assumed Travis Mertens would be another addition for next year. I'm no longer clear where we are in regards to scholarships, given some of the discussion that has developed around the May signing. Anyone?

I think there's just too many variables for somebody outside the program to even begin to speculate as to exactly how many scholies may still be available. For one thing, there are numerous players on the roster who came in as walk-on's, and presumably one or more of them may now be on scholarship. Also, who knows whether the Dumas rumor is true or not? I would say that the odds are pretty good that we may still see two or three additions, but that's really just a guess. At a minimum, I have to think that both Mertens and Allard have scholarships waiting for them if they choose to come to UND.

I think there's just too many variables for somebody outside the program to even begin to speculate as to exactly how many scholies may still be available. For one thing, there are numerous players on the roster who came in as walk-on's, and presumably one or more of them may now be on scholarship. Also, who knows whether the Dumas rumor is true or not? I would say that the odds are pretty good that we may still see two or three additions, but that's really just a guess. At a minimum, I have to think that both Mertens and Allard have scholarships waiting for them if they choose to come to UND.

Thanks for the insight

• 2 weeks later...

Besides Mertens, any word on which of the incoming recruits may not red-shirt? I suppose it may depend in part on the status of players like Harkins (is he actually going to be able to play?), and Dumas/Porter/Joseph (are they returning?).

The recruiting class is finally officially announced: link

UND should have learned from NDSU and held back a couple of scholarships. If all 7 stay for 5 years, that leaves 6 scholarships available over the next 4 years. I think NDSU would have liked to have more than 3 available over the last 2 years.

UND should have learned from NDSU and held back a couple of scholarships. If all 7 stay for 5 years, that leaves 6 scholarships available over the next 4 years. I think NDSU would have liked to have more than 3 available over the last 2 years.

Mertens isn't staying for five years, so that's seven for the next 4 years. Add in attrition due to injuries or other issues, there wil likelly be more schollies available.

I doubt the kid from Warroad got a full. Maybe a walk on with a promise for the future.

I doubt the kid from Warroad got a full. Maybe a walk on with a promise for the future.

At the dI level, don't you have 13 scholarships which can't be split? In other words, isn't everybody now either getting a full, or else they get nothing at all?

No, you can give less than a full scholarship. In DI, you can give out a maximum of 13 scholarships to a maximum of 13 different players. If you choose, or can afford, to only give out 10 scholarships, you can still split those 10 scholarships across 13 players. Only when you are fully funded to 13 scholarships does it become all or nothing. The same holds true for FBS football - a max of 85 scholies to a max of 85 players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
May isn't playing in these games. Allard scored 4 points last night. The teams will play again tonight in Fargo.

I guess I missed Allard's name in the box score. That is a little scary that he only scored 4 points but maybe there was a reason for it.

Do you know why May chose not to play?

I guess I missed Allard's name in the box score. That is a little scary that he only scored 4 points but maybe there was a reason for it.

Do you know why May chose not to play?

My mistake--it was actually Jordan Mertens who I was looking at in the box score from Wednesday's game. :lol: In my defense, there are lot of Jordan's and Mertens playing ball in North Dakota these days, and it's hard not to mix some of them up. :silly: I guess neither Allard nor May played.

My mistake--it was actually Jordan Mertens who I was looking at in the box score from Wednesday's game. :lol: In my defense, there are lot of Jordan's and Mertens playing ball in North Dakota these days, and it's hard not to mix some of them up. :silly: I guess neither Allard nor May played.

Neither played due to training violations.