SiouxSports.com Forum

2007-2008 Recruiting Class

SiouxCrew11

What has NDSU done? I think NDSU had done about as good as DII school can when making the transition. The top Summit teams are way better then many think. I will say the team's win over a top 50 RPI ORU team is pretty good and there was a ton of improvement from November to March.

NDSU can't brag this year. Although I can say they are definitely my 2nd favorite team, watching everyone brag about how good they were and then seeing them get drilled by 30+ down here at the Barn was totally hilarious and showed how bad NDSU's depth is. Another reason NDSU can't compete with any big time D1 programs is their lack of any post play. Against Florida they didn't seem terrible in the post but when they came here it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen watching SPENCER FRICKIN TOLLACKSON of all people destory Moorman and Soosengooth (or however you spell it). I look for the Sioux to be just fine in their transition to division one, even though all the pieces haven't been there lately. Wouldn't surprise me if NDSU/UND were back on a level playing field here in a few years, especially since NDSU took a huge step back this past year losing Miles and making an average at best hire. Does anyone know about the UND recruits coming in any more solidly? I know NDSU has some big kid from Iowa coming who they are pretty pumped about but last I saw he was only something like 6'9. Gophers have a Top 15 class, finally going to have a 6'10 and 7' in the post.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDSU can't brag this year. Although I can say they are definitely my 2nd favorite team, watching everyone brag about how good they were and then seeing them get drilled by 30+ down here at the Barn was totally hilarious and showed how bad NDSU's depth is. Another reason NDSU can't compete with any big time D1 programs is their lack of any post play. Against Florida they didn't seem terrible in the post but when they came here it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen watching SPENCER FRICKIN TOLLACKSON of all people destory Moorman and Soosengooth (or however you spell it). I look for the Sioux to be just fine in their transition to division one, even though all the pieces haven't been there lately. Wouldn't surprise me if NDSU/UND were back on a level playing field here in a few years, especially since NDSU took a huge step back this past year losing Miles and making an average at best hire. Does anyone know about the UND recruits coming in any more solidly? I know NDSU has some big kid from Iowa coming who they are pretty pumped about but last I saw he was only something like 6'9. Gophers have a Top 15 class, finally going to have a 6'10 and 7' in the post.

I think I've finally found someone with less class than most Bison people who come over here. Trash NDSU on your own team site. :D

I think I've finally found someone with less class than most Bison people who come over here. Trash NDSU on your own team site. :D

Less class? I forgot, stating facts is NEVER the right way to argue with someone who is trying to talk about how great an average team is.

I'm not going to get into an argument about NDSU though, I respect their program just thought they were getting bragged up a little too much, that's all. They've had some good wins but just lack consistency at this point. You can't argue with many of my points in that post though, honestly...

A couple of things, Moorman and Sussenguth are stiffs. Neither provide any consistent offense, they both improved defensively but are still not anything special. The Gopher game was our rock bottom, at that time we had no bench and were still trying to figure things out. After that game, we did build a bench and some players really seemed to get it together. I really don't think coaching dropped off at all, many of the problems the team had to start the year were the same problems they had under Miles. A harder schedule and Andre Smith graduating just made those problems more apparent. Over the course of the year Saul had a handle and most of it. I also like what he is doing on the recruiting trail, landing that Iowa kid was nice but he also got a really good pg out of Wisconsin and has what could be a diamond in the rough in that 6'10 kid from Rothsay.

As for UND, I don't know a lot about your team but year one is going to be a struggle. You guys do have a leg up in that you have a few transitional DI's on your schedule but when going up against DI's even the middle of the pack ones are a lot better then the best of the NCC.

Less class? I forgot, stating facts is NEVER the right way to argue with someone who is trying to talk about how great an average team is.

I'm not going to get into an argument about NDSU though, I respect their program just thought they were getting bragged up a little too much, that's all. They've had some good wins but just lack consistency at this point. You can't argue with many of my points in that post though, honestly...

Your a Big 10 team you should get the better athletes - say how'd that work out for your football and baseball team against NDSU?

Your a Big 10 team you should get the better athletes - say how'd that work out for your football and baseball team against NDSU?

Please, take the sorry trash-talking back to Bisonville, where they seem to specialize in that sort of thing. Or go to the Gophers board and spew venom there.

Is bison dan lost again. Would someone please take him by the hand and bring him home? He spends all his time on the Sioux site. He must be quite a Sioux fan. He just can't get UND out of his system. I think it is time for him to move on. We want to have quality conversation about the Sioux on this site and not his useless banter about the bison and how he loves the Sioux. Once again it is time for dan to go home.

Is bison dan lost again. Would someone please take him by the hand and bring him home? He spends all his time on the Sioux site. He must be quite a Sioux fan. He just can't get UND out of his system. I think it is time for him to move on. We want to have quality conversation about the Sioux on this site and not his useless banter about the bison and how he loves the Sioux. Once again it is time for dan to go home.

So this site is only for delusional sioux fans that don't want to hear a different point of view.

dan ...are you back again? I guess what you don't understand is that you don't contribute anything meaningful to either point of view. There simply isn't anything adult or wise about anything you ever say to any conversation. Can't you simply take a hint and find a place where somebody might actually appreciate anything you have to say. It is sad to have any person waste their time reading anything you contribute to a conversation.

So this site is only for delusional sioux fans that don't want to hear a different point of view.

No, I think we all hope it's a site for adults of different points of view -- including reasonable people like Hammersmith, NDSUgrad and Fargo Bison -- to have a rational discussion that's not constantly polluted with spite.

Baseball, who cares.

Football, I'll admit, that hurt. We were sitting right in the front row cheering for our Maroon and gold. Your program is at its highest point experiencing its best season in decades with almost all upperclassmen and a coach that has put in a great system. Us, on the contrary, had a BRAND NEW coach, lost many of our best players to the law earlier in the season, and had a freshman QB, freshman RB, and freshman WRs playing against the Bison. Don't forget an almost all Freshman defense, the only upperclassmen who did anything was Barber.

If you look at it from that perspective, its pretty sad that you won on a BS roughing the punter call against the worst team in Gopher history and it will never happen again. We are getting a new stadium, have the 16th ranked recruiting class in the nation, and are headed towards the top of the Big 10!

A couple of things, Moorman and Sussenguth are stiffs. Neither provide any consistent offense, they both improved defensively but are still not anything special. The Gopher game was our rock bottom, at that time we had no bench and were still trying to figure things out. After that game, we did build a bench and some players really seemed to get it together. I really don't think coaching dropped off at all, many of the problems the team had to start the year were the same problems they had under Miles. A harder schedule and Andre Smith graduating just made those problems more apparent. Over the course of the year Saul had a handle and most of it. I also like what he is doing on the recruiting trail, landing that Iowa kid was nice but he also got a really good pg out of Wisconsin and has what could be a diamond in the rough in that 6'10 kid from Rothsay.

As for UND, I don't know a lot about your team but year one is going to be a struggle. You guys do have a leg up in that you have a few transitional DI's on your schedule but when going up against DI's even the middle of the pack ones are a lot better then the best of the NCC.

Great post. Moorman just didn't really develop his game at all, he got a little bulkier but he's not a division one player. Also agree that the Gopher game was a rock bottom, I got to watch against Oral Roberts and Colorado State, the team looked real good, just lacking a good post. Andre was the big killer, he had been a beast against the Gophers and even though he wasn't known for his defense he was able to do a better job against our below average post players. I'll give Saul a few more years, it just seems like the team should have improved over last year, with the core players maturing another year.

Overall I'm pretty pumped to hopefully see the Sioux and the Bison in the BSA battling it out again in a few years, those games were super fun, especially in the Tenbroeck/Beasley era!

FargoBison, predictions on next year's season for the Bison? I think you guys can give Oral Roberts a run for their money in the conference tourney, a possible tournament bid? How about the game vs the Gophers?

Great post. Moorman just didn't really develop his game at all, he got a little bulkier but he's not a division one player. Also agree that the Gopher game was a rock bottom, I got to watch against Oral Roberts and Colorado State, the team looked real good, just lacking a good post. Andre was the big killer, he had been a beast against the Gophers and even though he wasn't known for his defense he was able to do a better job against our below average post players. I'll give Saul a few more years, it just seems like the team should have improved over last year, with the core players maturing another year.

Overall I'm pretty pumped to hopefully see the Sioux and the Bison in the BSA battling it out again in a few years, those games were super fun, especially in the Tenbroeck/Beasley era!

FargoBison, predictions on next year's season for the Bison? I think you guys can give Oral Roberts a run for their money in the conference tourney, a possible tournament bid? How about the game vs the Gophers?

I'm with you on the NDSU/UND games, after this upcoming year I don't think NDSU has any reason not to play UND. Besides a high major, there isn't a non-conference team that can sell tickets like UND could. I actually think Saul would be for the game but the admin might have a different idea.

With the lineup we have right now I think we are a top 4 team in the Summit next year and probably the favorite with the right JUCO power forward. I'm really interested in seeing what Eric Carlson brings to the lineup, so far I have been impressed with what I have seen but you can't really tell until he gets on the floor in a real game.

The game vs the Gophers scares me, Tubby got a lot out of the guys that did nothing under Monson and now is bringing in legit high major talent. Saul needs to find a decent JUCO power forward if he wants to avoid a repeat of last season. NDSU doesn't need much a low post game to compete in the Summit but it is a must against the high majors.

I'm with you on the NDSU/UND games, after this upcoming year I don't think NDSU has any reason not to play UND. Besides a high major, there isn't a non-conference team that can sell tickets like UND could. I actually think Saul would be for the game but the admin might have a different idea.

With the lineup we have right now I think we are a top 4 team in the Summit next year and probably the favorite with the right JUCO power forward. I'm really interested in seeing what Eric Carlson brings to the lineup, so far I have been impressed with what I have seen but you can't really tell until he gets on the floor in a real game.

The game vs the Gophers scares me, Tubby got a lot out of the guys that did nothing under Monson and now is bringing in legit high major talent. Saul needs to find a decent JUCO power forward if he wants to avoid a repeat of last season. NDSU doesn't need much a low post game to compete in the Summit but it is a must against the high majors.

I think the administration will learn that money is key and playing UND would almost assure a sellout. With looking for a new barn to play in, any opponents to bring in to bring in some cash would be a smart move by NDSU in my opinion. A top 4 Summit team would be underachieving, I think it's all going to come down to NDSU/Oral Roberts and is going to depend who is on their game at the right time during the end of the season, this year would have been NDSU. Once they get a big man they will be a force next year with Winkelman/Woodside/Nelson as seniors. It'll be an interesting matchup because you guys will have tons of upperclassmen and we will be relying heavily on our incoming freshman class, much like Florida did this year and you handled them just fine.

Anyone else suprised that the Summit didn't get ONE team in the NIT? Seems to me like there should be at least 2 teams going on to a tourney at the end of the year. Does (has) that league always gotten that little respect? Seems to be no margin for error playing in that conference.

Anyone else suprised that the Summit didn't get ONE team in the NIT? Seems to me like there should be at least 2 teams going on to a tourney at the end of the year. Does (has) that league always gotten that little respect? Seems to be no margin for error playing in that conference.

The conference didn't have much success outside the conference with bigger majors. You look at us, we got a 4 seed and probably didn't even deserve that and we killed the top of the summit league. While I think the talent is definitely there to get an NIT bid, need to have some more success against higher major teams.

*Gasp*, some actual recruiting news in the recruiting thread! :lol: UND has received a commitment from 6'10" Mitch Wilmer from Warroad. Not surprisingly, it sounds like he's going to be a project, but he apparently does have some nice potential. No link for now, as the Herald site is not working.

The conference didn't have much success outside the conference with bigger majors. You look at us, we got a 4 seed and probably didn't even deserve that and we killed the top of the summit league. While I think the talent is definitely there to get an NIT bid, need to have some more success against higher major teams.

Minnie didn't play the "top of the summit league" this year, ORU and IUPUI were the class of the conference, with Oakland, NDSU, IPFW, and to some extent making up the second tier, while WIU, Cent, UMKC and SDSU were bottom feeders

IUPUI should have gotten an NIT invite

RPI Rk Summit Conf All RPI SOS Rk SOS

52 Oral Roberts 19-2 23-8 0.5712 157 0.5002

71 IUPUI 17-4 23-7 0.5545 238 0.4711

169 Oakland 12-8 15-14 0.4973 192 0.4847

193 North Dakota St 10-8 14-13 0.4778 293 0.4502

218 IPFW 10-10 11-18 0.4662 174 0.4925

239 Southern Utah 9-10 11-18 0.4581 194 0.4842

268 Western Ill. 7-12 10-18 0.4375 246 0.4682

283 Centenary 4-15 9-21 0.4286 254 0.4663

288 Mizzou KC 6-13 9-21 0.4250 223 0.4755

330 South Dakota St 3-15 7-21 0.3865 301 0.445

UND lands Missouri recruit

Goodman is a 6-foot-6, 175-pound forward from Jackson, Mo., which is located in the southeast corner of the state. At Jackson High School, Goodman helped his team to a district title and a 20-8 record. He averaged 15 points and 8 rebounds per game.

Goodman, who is projected to play small forward, said he was first recruited by UND while playing AAU basketball last summer.

Minnie didn't play the "top of the summit league" this year, ORU and IUPUI were the class of the conference, with Oakland, NDSU, IPFW, and to some extent making up the second tier, while WIU, Cent, UMKC and SDSU were bottom feeders

IUPUI should have gotten an NIT invite

RPI Rk Summit Conf All RPI SOS Rk SOS

52 Oral Roberts 19-2 23-8 0.5712 157 0.5002

71 IUPUI 17-4 23-7 0.5545 238 0.4711

169 Oakland 12-8 15-14 0.4973 192 0.4847

193 North Dakota St 10-8 14-13 0.4778 293 0.4502

218 IPFW 10-10 11-18 0.4662 174 0.4925

239 Southern Utah 9-10 11-18 0.4581 194 0.4842

268 Western Ill. 7-12 10-18 0.4375 246 0.4682

283 Centenary 4-15 9-21 0.4286 254 0.4663

288 Mizzou KC 6-13 9-21 0.4250 223 0.4755

330 South Dakota St 3-15 7-21 0.3865 301 0.445

238 strength of schedule and only an RPI of 71? Also they had no big wins.

The Summit is a middle of the road conference at best. It's very hard for teams in those conferences to get at large bids into the NIT. Teams that win their regular season conference and not their conference tourneys, get auto bids into the NIT. The remainder of the teams are filled by bubble teams just missing out, and then other major conference teams for marketing. IUPUI could have made an argument, but with a very low profit program, it's a negative for them because the NIT is politically based and wants viewer ship.

Summit finished 22nd out of 31 conferences this year. It will never be much better than average because it's a feeder conference for the Missouri Valley. Up and coming programs with repeated success usually make the jump to the Missouri Valley at some point, which was the 8th best conference and usually one of the premier mid major conferences year in and year out.

To get a basis of where the Summit usually finishes, the Big SKy conference finished 25th. The Summit and Big Sky usually finish very close with each other, with the SUmmit usually finishing a couple steps higher. Both conferences are relatively the same, but the top 2-3 in the SUmmit are significantly better than any teams in the Big sky year in and out.

Why are their Gopher fans, and Bison fans, arguing with each other about their programs at a UND forum in the basketball recruiting section?