SiouxSports.com Forum

"Friend" spam

administrator

Apologies to those who have been receiving "Friend" spam or other inappropriate communication from the board.

Former member the"source", after being suspended, proceeded to use additional dummy accounts to issue threats against members of the board so was banned. Validating our decision, he has continued trying to disrupt the board and annoy members by registering dummy accounts and spamming other members.

I'm taking technical steps to address the situation and apologize for any inconvenience this has presented any of you. As a reminder, you can control what email the board sends you via "My Controls" if you prefer not to receive email notification of friends requests.

• 2 weeks later...
Apologies to those who have been receiving "Friend" spam or other inappropriate communication from the board.

Former member the"source", after being suspended, proceeded to use additional dummy accounts to issue threats against members of the board so was banned. Validating our decision, he has continued trying to disrupt the board and annoy members by registering dummy accounts and spamming other members.

I'm taking technical steps to address the situation and apologize for any inconvenience this has presented any of you. As a reminder, you can control what email the board sends you via "My Controls" if you prefer not to receive email notification of friends requests.

Wow. This surprises me in that The Source is a great guy and a pillar, of sorts, in the GF community. He is also one of the staunchest supporters of Sioux sports that I have ever come to know over my many years of following University of North Dakota athletics.

It is interesting to hear his side of the story over his fines and suspensions, and the nature of his alleged "threats" to others on the board. He is about as harmless as I am, and as everyone on this board is. Hoping to "meet you" is not so much as a threat as it is a hope that a reasoned dialogue over board management practices could be had someday, either at the Final Five, the Frozen Four, or elsewhere. It is hardly a suggestion that anyone will get beat up in a back alley.

I really think that he has better things to do with his time and with his effort than to continue to try and annoy and disrupt. He is a busy businessman, not a twelve year old kid. Perhaps most importantly, as I recall, although a whole raft of folks were a bit out of line over their whining and knashing of teeth over the play on the ice, as always happens here whenever the Sioux stumble a bit as is expected from any group of kids, all The Source was doing was suggesting, and rightly so, that personal attacks against players is a bit out of line in his book. These kids are amateurs, not professionals. Just as we all are amateurs of sorts, not professionals, regardless of our claimed walks of life.

Anyway, I enjoy this board as much as anyone does, but the thin skin on some is starting to amaze me a bit. While choice of words can sometimes be different, a healthy and spirited debate is almost always a good thing. Of course, it your toy, and you can do with it what you wish. Oh Great Oz behind the curtain . . . . Who are you who has the power to fine, suspend, and eliminate with your cyberspace stroke?

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. This surprises me...

I really think that he has better things to do with his time and with his effort than to continue to try and annoy and disrupt.

I was as surprised as you that anyone would react that way and choose to spend their time and effort in such a manner. It was a rather unprecedented series of attempts to disrupt the forum and harass and annoy its members, which is why I felt it deserved explanation.

Perhaps most importantly, as I recall, although a whole raft of folks were a bit out of line over their whining and knashing of teeth over the play on the ice, as always happens here whenever the Sioux stumble a bit as is expected from any group of kids, all The Source was doing was suggesting, and rightly so, that personal attacks against players is a bit out of line in his book.
No argument from me -- personal attacks against anyone are out of line, and will be dealt with by a moderator when seen or reported.

Anyway, I enjoy this board as much as anyone does, but the thin skin on some is starting to amaze me a bit. While choice of words can sometimes be different, a healthy and spirited debate is almost always a good thing.
That's certainly how we've tried to position it. Our goal has been to try to welcome disagreement, as long as those disagreeing can have a civil debate without resorting to personal attacks (as discussed above). Frankly, the more common criticism is that we allow people to say things that others would prefer we wouldn't (e.g. criticism of players' performance). We've never cared as much what people have to say as how they say it.

• 2 weeks later...

and here I thought []......was a "real" friend.....damnit! I don't get too many friend requests either.... :lol::D

Jim why put so much effort into shutting him down from this site. Why not put on a safe-post type program like myspace does. So you can proofread his post before he goes on. Or you should just let him post w/e the hell he wants. I think thats a viable option. He has valid points and just because the two of you dont think highly of eachother shouldnt change him being able to post on here. Just a heads up, he wont ever get bored with creating new names. He has several right now i could list from the top of my head. Let alone the countless others he has written down somewhere. IF SOMEONE WANTS TO POST IN ALL CAPS. THATS HIS CHOICE. I know that capital letters isn't the only dealio. But, I think the moderating is a little crappy too. I would use the word lopsided.

Cliquey? I don't think that's the right word. Many members disagree with other members on this board. The right word is 'respectful'. Not all of us are respectfull all the time (guilty) but the majority of us try not to bash other members (unless they're trolls).

I guess an option would be what I have done to more than one member.. put them on ignore and don't respond to their baiting. The other option, let Jim handle it. It's his forum after all.

Jim why put so much effort into shutting him down from this site. Why not put on a safe-post type program like myspace does. So you can proofread his post before he goes on. Or you should just let him post w/e the hell he wants. I think thats a viable option. He has valid points and just because the two of you dont think highly of eachother shouldnt change him being able to post on here. Just a heads up, he wont ever get bored with creating new names. He has several right now i could list from the top of my head. Let alone the countless others he has written down somewhere. IF SOMEONE WANTS TO POST IN ALL CAPS. THATS HIS CHOICE. I know that capital letters isn't the only dealio. But, I think the moderating is a little crappy too. I would use the word lopsided.

O boy! He went over the top on every topic, disrupted legit discussion, and attacked posters. Yet because he is the source he should be allowed to do whatever?. And after reading that he is a pillar in the community, its no wonder why I think civilization is falling apart. Most 5 year olds act better than he did. He had some decent opinions but had no class or respect. I think its time to grow up a bit.

O boy! He went over the top on every topic, disrupted legit discussion, and attacked posters. Yet because he is the source he should be allowed to do whatever?. And after reading that he is a pillar in the community, its no wonder why I think civilization is falling apart. Most 5 year olds act better than he did. He had some decent opinions but had no class or respect. I think its time to grow up a bit.

His anger may have spilled out all over the board after I had been suspended. I believe it was aimed at the moderators and the inconsistent way of dealing with people breaking "the rules." What you call classless and infantile, I call a buddy sticking up for a buddy. I am proud to call "the source" a good friend, who does many wonderful things for this community, including UND. That being said, taking shots at a guy who can't be here to defend himself is equally classless and infantile. Maybe we should practice what we preach a little.

I believe it was aimed at the moderators and the inconsistent way of dealing with people breaking "the rules."

If you've seen someone personally attacking everyone who dares disagree with him, point it out and we'll look into it. We probably were inconsistent in letting that go on for too long last Fall, a mistake we've tried to corrected this Spring and that we'll try not to make again.

Messages are posted to the board unmoderated, and we certainly don't read every one, so it's entirely possible we've missed such. We appreciate everyone's help in making this a place where people can have a debate and disagree without being personally attacked for holding the "wrong" point of view.

His anger may have spilled out all over the board after I had been suspended. I believe it was aimed at the moderators and the inconsistent way of dealing with people breaking "the rules." What you call classless and infantile, I call a buddy sticking up for a buddy. I am proud to call "the source" a good friend, who does many wonderful things for this community, including UND. That being said, taking shots at a guy who can't be here to defend himself is equally classless and infantile. Maybe we should practice what we preach a little.

I don't see how talking about a person's actions, which happened on a public board, is somehow attacking a defenseless person. But that is my opinion and everyone has one. And if he has multiple accounts like it is rumored, I don't think he will have a problem responding to me. That being said, I don't dissaprove of his actions in that thread. It was a train wreck with blame laid on all parties involved. Him sticking up for you is something to be admired. However, it is his actions after being suspended that led to this topic being created. I doubt you went and did the actions that he is accused of doing after being suspended. Then again, I think a bit more highly of you. The bottom line is that respect is seriously lacking on this board and I don't think that stumping for the "source" to be allowed to post will help the situation at all. Once again, just my opinion.