SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 ND High School Hockey

GF_siouxfan

Just an FYI:

Fargo South beat then #8 ranked White Bear Lake 4-3 at the UP Center on Friday. From what I heard, didn't see it. South played very well in the first and second, but started chasing WBL in the third. Also, I don't know the circumstances, but WBL had a goal disallowed.

Good start for South. Now on the intrastate matchups.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an FYI:

Fargo South beat then #8 ranked White Bear Lake 4-3 at the UP Center on Friday. From what I heard, didn't see it. South played very well in the first and second, but started chasing WBL in the third. Also, I don't know the circumstances, but WBL had a goal disallowed.

Good start for South. Now on the intrastate matchups.

I don't remember a goal being disallowed. Unless you're counting the one earlier in the game when the whistle sounded because the goalie covered it, and after about 2-3 seconds and the goalie lifting his glove up the WBL player hit it in the net and celebrated counts. ???

You're right though, South began to let WBL walk around a lot more in the third. They didn't show as much effort as they had in the first two periods.

I don't remember a goal being disallowed. Unless you're counting the one earlier in the game when the whistle sounded because the goalie covered it, and after about 2-3 seconds and the goalie lifting his glove up the WBL player hit it in the net and celebrated counts. :lol:

You're right though, South began to let WBL walk around a lot more in the third. They didn't show as much effort as they had in the first two periods.

Your probably right, with the disallowed goal. I was only going by what I was told.

Good match up in Fargo tomorrow. South -v- North at the UP Center. We'll get a chance to see how improved North is. South should win, but in these "rivalry" games you never know.

Your probably right, with the disallowed goal. I was only going by what I was told.

Good match up in Fargo tomorrow. South -v- North at the UP Center. We'll get a chance to see how improved North is. South should win, but in these "rivalry" games you never know.

North is terrible. They have good goaltending, that may keep things close, but this should be a very one-sided game. I saw North lose to Bismarck - they had 5 shots on goal the entire game. Labernik and luck were the only things that kept that game close. The numbers are down too much on the Northside. At least the girls are still doing well.

An update on south. South beat North 3-0 on Thursday, and like jloos said they really looked bad. 0 shots in the first period.

Also, the Forum had a small blurb, but it looked like South beat Central up in GF 4-1. Bucholtz played great, again, for south as Central put close to 35 shots on net.

Grafton plays at South today in a match up of 3-0 EDC teams.

An update on south. South beat North 3-0 on Thursday, and like jloos said they really looked bad. 0 shots in the first period.

Also, the Forum had a small blurb, but it looked like South beat Central up in GF 4-1. Bucholtz played great, again, for south as Central put close to 35 shots on net.

Grafton plays at South today in a match up of 3-0 EDC teams.

South wins 7-3.

That is becase the starting goaltender Seth Lang was hurt for Central. It would have been a different game if Seth had played.

South beat Grafton 7-3 at the UP Center. South scored 4 goals in 2 minutes towards the end of the 2nd period to put the game away. Grafton outshot south 16-8 in the first period. Grafton carried the play in the first but when they announced 16 shots I was surprised. South seemed to sleepwalk through the 1st and most of the 2nd period. From what I saw South carried play in an uneventful 3rd period.

Quick summary. As this point of the year South really seemed to have the edge in both skill and physical play. If south would have played the way they played against Moorhead and White Bear this game could have gotten out of hand. Overall, it was a sloppy game with little flow. South defence turned the puck over countless times in the 1st and 2nd period, Grafton didn't have anyone who could capitalize on those mistakes.

In the Forum Grafton's coach stated that he wasn't worried, it's early and they'll play south again. While it is early, I don't see Grafton competing for a top spot in the EDC unless they improve a ton.

That is becase the starting goaltender Seth Lang was hurt for Central. It would have been a different game if Seth had played.

Thanks for the update. I hadn't heard that, and that certainly would have made a difference. I'm looking forward to seeing both GF schools and Bismark in Fargo.

• 2 weeks later...
They had the closest game with Fargo South in the EDC so far last night. They were up 3-1 through the 3rd period and South scored 3 unanswered to eventually win in OT.

Bismarck beat South. It looks like a Western school is the favorite to win state for the first time since the Peluso (Bismarck), Philion (Minot) days. Actually, I believe that is the only year a Western team has ever won state. I want to say it was 92, I remember watching the game while I was playing bantams.

I only saw Bismarck play once, and they did not impress me too much. They were very solid defensively. I remember looking at their roster and seeing all Sr and Jr's.

Bismarck beat South. It looks like a Western school is the favorite to win state for the first time since the Peluso (Bismarck), Philion (Minot) days. Actually, I believe that is the only year a Western team has ever won state. I want to say it was 92, I remember watching the game while I was playing bantams.

I only saw Bismarck play once, and they did not impress me too much. They were very solid defensively. I remember looking at their roster and seeing all Sr and Jr's.

Yeah I said the closest EDC game, though.

Little bit on controversy on the game too:

http://northdakotapreps.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6231

http://northdakotapreps.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6222

and also a really long discussion in the WDA forums:

http://northdakotapreps.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6237

South didn't play their starting goalie. Janick played instead of Bucholtz and from what I've seen this year, there's a BIG drop between the two. I don't know why Bucholtz didn't play. Maybe Benson was playing this one close to the vest knowing he may see Bismark at state.

Yes it was 1992 when Minot upset a stacked Bismarck team ( one of the better teams in the 90's, IMO) for the state championship. Peluso was a Junior, and played in Omaha his senior year.

Edit: Didn't see your post Hockey High, thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...
To those interested the Central Red River game is being televised on channel 15. Though it is awful picture and I'm assuming is being done from a home camera it is in fact on tv if anyone in the Grand Forks area is interested in watching.

Any Central/RR updates? Time remaining? Score?

I decided to do the math. As of right now 2/3/09 here are the EDC Standings top 4 only:

Team Pts. Games

Red River 25 13

South 24 10

Central 18 10

GraftonPR 17 11

I made some assumpitons that these team will beat all the EDC teams below them in the standings and that the h2h games are won by the home team:

Team Pts.

South 32

Red River 27

Central 24

GraftonPR 23

It looks like South will have to stumble badly to stay in 2nd. With games against Devils Lake, West Fargo and North you can almost lock in 6 guaranteed points. The battle for 2nd and 3rd is really between the two grand forks teams. RR only has one conference game left and that is agains GPR. If they win that they are almost a lock for 2nd, although if GFC can run the table, with games at RR and at South then they can get to 2nd.

Hopefully all these teams can stay healthy and we should see a great EDC tournament.

/dusts off the Siouxsports.com username

Mostly just been posting on NDPreps because this forum is pretty dead lately. :D

Here's what I believe the rankings will end up like for the top four in EDC:

1) Fargo South ------------------- with 32 Points (Out of 32 Possible)

2) Grand Forks Red River ---- with 27 Points (Out of 27 Possible)

3) Grand Forks Central -------- with 26 Points (Out of 28 Possible)

4) Grafton / Park River --------- with 23 Points (Out of 25 Possible)

(I think these are right, but I made it in about 5 minutes of mental math and typing... so don't know for sure)

Red River should be thanking South for that overtime loss at this point. That extra point they received is likely going to clinch them second place in the EDC. However, Central can still win out and overtake second place.

I'd also agree with the healthy part. It always seems that teams get plagued with influenza or mono at these times of the year, so it's a good idea for teams to take care of themselves at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
No posts about the Fargo South vs. GF Central game? Did anybody go to it? Thoughts?

Lots of penalties, not a very large sense of determination to win from either team. I don't think South or Central played to the caliber that they normally do. Central won mostly be dumping and chasing and South was too busy in transition play to get some good offense going. South still takes the 1st seed either way. Brackets end up like this for the regular season:

Final EDC Standings:

• Team Name Records Points Seed
    Fargo South 13-1 30-pts 1st Seed
    G.F. Central 12-2 28-pts 2nd Seed
    G.F. Red River 11-3 27-pts 3rd Seed
    Grafton/P.R. 8-6 21-pts 4th Seed
    West Fargo 5-9-1 14-pts 5th Seed
    Fargo North 4-9-1 13-pts 6th Seed
    Devils Lake 2-11-2 8-pts 7th Seed
    Fargo Shanley 2-7-2 6-pts 8th Seed
    Wahpeton/Breck 0-9 0-pts 9th Seed

Final WDA Standings:
    • Team Name Records Points Seed
      Bismarck High
14-1 30 pts 1st Seed
Williston 13-2-1 27 pts 2nd Seed
Minot 12-4 25 pts 3rd Seed
Bis. Century 10-4-1 24 pts 4th Seed
Mandan 5-11 13 pts 5th Seed
Hazen/Beulah 3-11-2 10 pts 6th Seed
Bottineau 5-10 10 pts 7th Seed
Jamestown 3-11-2 8 pts 8th Seed
Dickinson 2-14 6 pts 9th Seed

EDC and WDA Tournaments are like this:

EDC

Tuesday, February 17th:

Wahpeton/Breckenridge at Fargo Shanley (Play-in Game) @ 7:30 PM

All games played at the Purpur Arena in Grand Forks. Games listed in order numerically.

Thursday, February 19th:

[#1] Fargo South vs (Winner of Play-in Game) [#8] @ 12:00 PM

[#4] Grafton-PR vs West Fargo [#5] @ 2:30 PM

[#2] Central vs Devils Lake [#7] @ 6:00 PM

[#3] Red River vs Fargo North [#6] @ 8:30 PM

Friday, February 20th:

Teams TBD

Game 5: Noon - Loser Game 1 vs. Loser game 2

Game 6: 30 minutes after the completion of Game 5 - Loser Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4

Game 7: 6:00 pm - Winner Game 1 vs. winner Game 2

Game 8: 30 minutes after the completion of Game 7 - Winner Game 3 vs. winner Game 4

Saturday, February 21st:

Teams TBD

Game 9: 2:30 pm - Loser Game 7 vs. Winner Game 6

Game 10: 5:00 pm - Loser Game 8 vs. Winner Game 5

Game 11: 7:30 pm - East Region Championship

WDA

Monday, February 16th

Dickinson at Jamestown (Play-in Game) @ 6:00 PM

All games will be played in Bismarck. Games listed in order numerically.

Thursday, February 19th:

[#1] Bismarck High vs (Winner of Play-in Game) [#8] @ 11:00 AM

[#4] Bismarck Century vs Mandan [#5] @ 1:30 PM

[#2] Williston vs Bottineau [#7] @ 5:00 PM

[#3] Minot vs Hazen/Beulah [#6] @ 7:30 PM

Friday, February 20th:

Teams TBD

Game 5 11:00 a.m. Loser Game 1 vs. Loser game 2

Game 6 1:30 p.m.* Loser Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4

Game 7 5:00 p.m. Winner Game 1 vs. winner Game 2

Game 8 7:30 p.m.* Winner Game 3 vs. winner Game 4

Saturday, February 21st: