SiouxSports.com Forum

Bison on KFYR Radio

Bison Dan

In other words, no new teaching facilities. Just research facilities.

You certainly would not have to close any research facilities that you have, on or off campus.

Basically I'm proposing, in an act of good faith partnership and duplicity elimination within the NDUS, that UND closes the depts. of ME, EE and CivE within the School of Mines and that NDSU closes the depts. of Nursing, Clinical Laboratory Science, Radiologic Sciences and Respiratory Care within the College of Pharmacy and the dept. of Geology within the College of Science and Math.

#1. I can't believe I'm still reading this trainwreck of a thread.

#2. Every time I think Mpls can't come up with an idea dumber than he has in the past, he goes and proves me wrong again. <sigh> You'd think I'd learn.

The reason research parks associated with universities work as well as they do is because of the cheap source of labor called graduate students. You close down UND's engineering departments and the EERC and R&T Park will disappear soon after. Since both schools have invested heavily in their research parks, neither will be backing off their engineering programs one little bit. The whole idea of eliminating "duplicate" programs is one that sounds good after a few drinks and it works when sketched out on a cocktail napkin. The problem is it falls apart in the cold light of day when everyone's sobered up. In current times, engineering and business are programs that almost all general purpose universities our size have. Sure, there are hyper-specialized colleges above 10,000 students that don't have one or both of those programs, but neither NDSU nor UND falls into that category.

Here are a couple more thoughts. While UND's business program is justifiably good, NDSU would not be having such success if UND was fulfilling the area's demand. In fact, in almost every case of "duplication", both schools' programs are healthy. In these cases, the primary school is either unwilling or unable to meet student demand. It may be that one college feels their program is too expensive to expand, or that adding more students would degrade the quality of the degree. Whatever the case, if there are qualified students that want to study a particular field but can't due to size constraints, then a state university has no cause to complain when another university begins to offer the same major.

I know that supporters of both universities believe their side can do no wrong, but I hope UND supporters can please see some of the things Kupchella did early on that soured the relationship. The DI move had little to do with it; that came later. Around 2000, NDSU was already approaching UND's total enrollment, yet was getting much less money from the state(even considering the money given to UND's med school). Every time Chapman tried for a more equal share, there was Kupchella blocking the path. If that wasn't enough, almost every time NDSU wanted to add a program, guess who fought it? Athletics are luxury item for a university; money and academic programs are the lifeblood. Or to use a more visual metaphor, the money issue was a noose around NDSU's neck, the academic programs a knife in our crotch. By comparison, opposition to our DI move was a hangnail; though it was far more important to our fanbase. It's no wonder that things turned into a cold war between the universities.

Will things improve with Kelley as president? I'm hopeful. I'm on record(other site) saying that, if Kelley helps hammer out a plan that addresses funding equity in a fair manner during the next budgeting session, things will improve markedly. If he fights it every step of the way, we're looking at another six weeks of winter, so to speak. I would love for things to improve, but it's my feeling the ball's in Kelley's hands.

Well, enough rambling. It's taken forever to write this since I've been watching multiple basketball games while writing it. Bison/Bunny women's game in two hours and #1 vs #2 in three. Any chance this thread can get back to radio and take the dunce cap off?

#1. I can't believe I'm still reading this trainwreck of a thread.

#2. Every time I think Mpls can't come up with an idea dumber than he has in the past, he goes and proves me wrong again. <sigh> You'd think I'd learn.

The reason research parks associated with universities work as well as they do is because of the cheap source of labor called graduate students. You close down UND's engineering departments and the EERC and R&T Park will disappear soon after. Since both schools have invested heavily in their research parks, neither will be backing off their engineering programs one little bit. The whole idea of eliminating "duplicate" programs is one that sounds good after a few drinks and it works when sketched out on a cocktail napkin. The problem is it falls apart in the cold light of day when everyone's sobered up. In current times, engineering and business are programs that almost all general purpose universities our size have. Sure, there are hyper-specialized colleges above 10,000 students that don't have one or both of those programs, but neither NDSU nor UND falls into that category.

Here are a couple more thoughts. While UND's business program is justifiably good, NDSU would not be having such success if UND was fulfilling the area's demand. In fact, in almost every case of "duplication", both schools' programs are healthy. In these cases, the primary school is either unwilling or unable to meet student demand. It may be that one college feels their program is too expensive to expand, or that adding more students would degrade the quality of the degree. Whatever the case, if there are qualified students that want to study a particular field but can't due to size constraints, then a state university has no cause to complain when another university begins to offer the same major.

I know that supporters of both universities believe their side can do no wrong, but I hope UND supporters can please see some of the things Kupchella did early on that soured the relationship. The DI move had little to do with it; that came later. Around 2000, NDSU was already approaching UND's total enrollment, yet was getting much less money from the state(even considering the money given to UND's med school). Every time Chapman tried for a more equal share, there was Kupchella blocking the path. If that wasn't enough, almost every time NDSU wanted to add a program, guess who fought it? Athletics are luxury item for a university; money and academic programs are the lifeblood. Or to use a more visual metaphor, the money issue was a noose around NDSU's neck, the academic programs a knife in our crotch. By comparison, opposition to our DI move was a hangnail; though it was far more important to our fanbase. It's no wonder that things turned into a cold war between the universities.

Will things improve with Kelley as president? I'm hopeful. I'm on record(other site) saying that, if Kelley helps hammer out a plan that addresses funding equity in a fair manner during the next budgeting session, things will improve markedly. If he fights it every step of the way, we're looking at another six weeks of winter, so to speak. I would love for things to improve, but it's my feeling the ball's in Kelley's hands.

Well, enough rambling. It's taken forever to write this since I've been watching multiple basketball games while writing it. Bison/Bunny women's game in two hours and #1 vs #2 in three. Any chance this thread can get back to radio and take the dunce cap off?

In all seriousness if NDSU was truly for competition between the two universities Chapman would never have thrown the temper tantrum he did over the UND Fargo campus and he wouldn't constantly piss and moan about UND's advertising in Fargo. He doesn't want competition, he wants UND supporters to roll over so NDSU can get everything they want. What exactly was Kupchella supposed to do when NDSU was trying to take money from UND? Why should UND have had to sacrifice money that could be used to maintain some of the strongest programs academic programs in the Midwest so NDSU can start up mediocre duplications of those programs? The animosity won't end until that scumbag Chapman and his lackey's finally get kicked to the curb by a governor or state board that won't tolerate his unethical and illegal behavior.

Back to the original post, having the Bison on KFYR/Clear Channel is huge. Not only for football, but also one basketball game per week. The tide has changed and this media change clearly demonstrates that NDSU athletics is indeed the premier program in North Dakota.

I thought it was HighSchoolChallenge on ch.11 saturdays at 6:30? ...AHHHH!!!!....

Back to the original post, having the Bison on KFYR/Clear Channel is huge. Not only for football, but also one basketball game per week. The tide has changed and this media change clearly demonstrates that NDSU athletics is indeed the premier program in North Dakota.

11 football games and 1 BB game per week does not compensate for a regional cable deal that is all about UND hockey. Again, another good try.

Am I happy about no KFYR. No. But there are other "big sticks" out there.

And one more question: Did KYFR pick them up, or did NDSU buy the air time like they did with local TV last season? The phrase, " ... has added Clear Channel Bismarck to the Bison Radio Network ... " doesn't really answer the question.

11 football games and 1 BB game per week does not compensate for a regional cable deal that is all about UND hockey. Again, another good try.

Am I happy about no KFYR. No. But there are other "big sticks" out there.

And one more question: Did KYFR pick them up, or did NDSU buy the air time like they did with local TV last season? The phrase, " ... has added Clear Channel Bismarck to the Bison Radio Network ... " doesn't really answer the question.

They purchased the air time just like they do on WDAY in Fargo and like they did with their football games on the NBC North Dakota Network. This is where UND and NDSU differ for now, UND charges the flagship station (KQHT, 96.1) and the affilliates on the network to carry games, while NDSU buys the air time on their flagship and affilliate stations. I assume UND will do the same thing when their current contract expires and they will take all advertising and affilliate relations in house like NDSU.

They purchased the air time just like they do on WDAY in Fargo and like they did with their football games on the NBC North Dakota Network. This is where UND and NDSU differ for now, UND charges the flagship station (KQHT, 96.1) and the affilliates on the network to carry games, while NDSU buys the air time on their flagship and affilliate stations. I assume UND will do the same thing when their current contract expires and they will take all advertising and affilliate relations in house like NDSU.
Hence, an expanding role for Josh Morton?

I assume UND will do the same thing when their current contract expires and they will take all advertising and affilliate relations in house like NDSU.

I'm not sure I'm ready to concede that is the best way to operate. NDSU has been very aggressive in their use of media for a long time-long before they took it in house. Yes NDSU had a lot of televised games last year, but is that due to taking things in house, or is it due to the effectiveness of their ad campaign ever since they moved up to D-1? They've been positioning themselves as THE D-1 university in this state for what, at least 4 years? Are they just now reaping the rewards of that newly built demand for a slick marketed product? I'm not necessarily against moving things in house, but I don't want to just because that's what NDSU did.

Are they just now reaping the rewards of that newly built demand for a slick marketed product?

Here's the question:

To NDSU's Athletics bottom line is an NDSU broadcast sales (making money), or marketing (spending money)?

I sure hope they pull better numbers than Bohl's show. :blush:

Here's the question:

To NDSU's Athletics bottom line is an NDSU broadcast sales (making money), or marketing (spending money)?

I don't know the answer, but I am of the opinion that if NDSU is paying for/buying air-time to get their games on TV and radio (which is what they're doing), and if they are breaking even or even just coming close to covering their costs, then that is good business. Televised sporting events are great infomercials.

It is essentially the same thing that UND has been doing for years with the FSSN. UND pays for satellite time and hires WDAZ to produce the games. UND decides which games are televised, not WDAZ, although DAZ still owns the broadcast television rights if they ever wanted to put a game on the network, which is something they haven't done as often since the FSSN.

Here's the question:

They spending BIG $$$$ for time on FSN - barely breaking even if not losing money but its exposure...like if you layed out naked on the street and were happy because some bum jumped your ass! SUCCESS!

They spending BIG $$$$ for time on FSN - barely breaking even if not losing money but its exposure...like if you layed out naked on the street and were happy because some bum jumped your ass! SUCCESS!

Actually the TV games advertizing just about made up for the costs. There're working on televising all the home fb games this year. What's FSSN costing the hockey program?

In all seriousness if NDSU was truly for competition between the two universities Chapman would never have thrown the temper tantrum he did over the UND Fargo campus and he wouldn't constantly piss and moan about UND's advertising in Fargo. He doesn't want competition, he wants UND supporters to roll over so NDSU can get everything they want. What exactly was Kupchella supposed to do when NDSU was trying to take money from UND? Why should UND have had to sacrifice money that could be used to maintain some of the strongest programs academic programs in the Midwest so NDSU can start up mediocre duplications of those programs? The animosity won't end until that scumbag Chapman and his lackey's finally get kicked to the curb by a governor or state board that won't tolerate his unethical and illegal behavior.

I am not following. Chapman has built a strong D1 program, expanded enrollment, seriously invested in NDSU, and that makes him a "scumbag?" Certainly Chapman has made mistakes, but wouldn't you also advocate for your school if given the chance?

Sounds like leadership and if our President had done the same we would be in the Gateway with NDSU. Sorry, I won't let my UND loyalty color my perception of reality.

Actually the TV games advertizing just about made up for the costs. There're working on televising all the home fb games this year. What's FSSN costing the hockey program?

I usually let BD's responses pass because it appears he just makes **it up as he goes along, but this is a great question;

How much does FSSN cost? Zero TV background, but I would assume this would be a less expensive avenue to deliver TV games than traditional broadcast outlets and should be an excellent vehicle to provide more extensive broadcast coverage. I would assume you'd have the same production costs as traditional TV but wouldn't be buying time from cable outlets (who I suspect are happy to get free programming.) I presume FSSN gets the ad revenue, or at least a portion of it.

I hope there are plans to utilize it much more for other sports as we start the Division 1 process. As I recall, the potential distribution area is huge. Some additional football and basketball exposure certainly wouldn't hurt. Some advertising wouldn't hurt, either; outside of Grand Forks, game broadcast plans seem almost like a state secret.