SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Gophers, Saturday Night Game Thread

dagies

As my favorite Sioux player once told me,

" I hate the Gophers, & their coach & their penalty box guy & their cheerleaders."

"I even hate the Zamboni driver."

Give em' hell tonight & kick their arses.

Don't be playing games with them, just go out & bury them from the drop of the opening face-off.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" I hate the Gophers, & their coach & their penalty box guy & their cheerleaders."

Don't be playing games with them, just go out & bury them from the drop of the opening face-off.

Good to her from you Speez. Does he still hate the gophers? :(

I'm going out to watch the game tonight, so won't be keeping an eye on the board.

I made a few changes that might improve how the board responds if it becomes overwhelmed (as it briefly did last night when the tv coverage died and 1000s of people tried to jump on simultaneously).

Since I won't be here watching, please post any errors encountered here so I can review any problems later.

Lines from Brad's blog.

UND's lines

20 Matt Watkins--29 Chris VandeVelde--17 Rylan Kaip

10 Andrew Kozek--7 T.J. Oshie--16 Ryan Duncan

22 Brad Malone--19 Evan Trupp--21 Matt Frattin

26 Kyle Radke--11 Darcy Zajac--8 Ryan Martens

4 Taylor Chorney--28 Robbie Bina

2 Joe Finley--5 Chay Genoway

6 Zach Jones--25 Jake Marto

1 Phil Lamoureux

30 Aaron Walski

Minnesota's lines

13 Ben Gordon--17 Blake Wheeler--26 Jay Barriball

12 Tony Lucia--16 Mike Carman--22 Ryan Flynn

11 Mike Hoeffel--7 Patrick White--24 Mike Howe

21 Tom Pohl--19 Evan Kaufmann--14 Justin Bostrom

5 Derek Peltier--20 David Fischer

28 Cade Fairchild--4 Stu Bickel

2 Kevin Wehrs--6 R.J. Anderson

33 Alex Kangas

1 Jeff Frazee

35 Brent Solei

I think a lot of us can see where he is coming from, since I hate both the BADgers and the Goofs. Go Sioux.

If we can start and continue with crisp passing and get a little jump early, I like our chances alot. Our passing and control of the puck thru 2 periods last night was less than stellar.

Glad to see Martens get rewarded for his play last night with another shot tonight.

Hakstol's pre-game comments:

To get the back half, we're going to half to be better in the first half. It's not that we played poorly, we just didn't do a lot of little things. We missed the net on several opportunities, and I thought we turned down several opportunities. We started turning the table off the cycle when Finley blasted one on net. We started building momentum and continued as the game went on.

We got a good save from Phil. We weren't sharp enough on our PP. They're very aggressive on their PK, and when you're not sharp, you're going to give up opportunities. We were playing reasonably well and didn't let things get away from us.

I expect Minnesota to come out strong tonight. They'll be more hungry and desperate, after a loss on their home ice, and they're defintely fighting for home-ice. I hope you see a desperate team out of us tonight.

We wanted 4 lines through on OT. Oshie's line went out and started off really well with 2 or 3 opportunites, and we just built on that. Trupper's highlight goal. Highlight or not, it got us 2 points.

The only concern on the PP is let's not get too fancy. Let's not try to be perfect. Let's get some on net. Tonight our PP has to come through to get a win out of her.

We'll know more of where we stand after our game tonight, and certainly more so after CC's games next week when we're off.

It's pride on the line. With everything else involved, two good hockey teams will go at it tonight and it should be a good battle.

Lines from Brad's blog.

UND's lines

20 Matt Watkins--29 Chris VandeVelde--17 Rylan Kaip

10 Andrew Kozek--7 T.J. Oshie--16 Ryan Duncan

22 Brad Malone--19 Evan Trupp--21 Matt Frattin

26 Kyle Radke--11 Darcy Zajac--8 Ryan Martens

4 Taylor Chorney--28 Robbie Bina

2 Joe Finley--5 Chay Genoway

6 Zach Jones--25 Jake Marto

1 Phil Lamoureux

30 Aaron Walski

Minnesota's lines

13 Ben Gordon--17 Blake Wheeler--26 Jay Barriball

12 Tony Lucia--16 Mike Carman--22 Ryan Flynn

11 Mike Hoeffel--7 Patrick White--24 Mike Howe

21 Tom Pohl--19 Evan Kaufmann--14 Justin Bostrom

5 Derek Peltier--20 David Fischer

28 Cade Fairchild--4 Stu Bickel

2 Kevin Wehrs--6 R.J. Anderson

33 Alex Kangas

1 Jeff Frazee

35 Brent Solei

This is the first time I can remember that the Saturday lineup is the same as Friday. Interesting message.

This is the first time I can remember that the Saturday lineup is the same as Fridey. Interesting message.

Yeah. Martens has been playing one night, and usually sitting the next. I wonder if that flip pass was the difference. Beautiful pass in big game atmosphere though, so he definitely earned another start.

Keys to the game tonight:

1) No odd-man rushes ... be patient. If we don't give them an easy goal, they might not get any.

2) Work the ref. No stickwork, and if you feel the tug, go down. This incompetent crew only calls hooks and trips if the guy falls. (While letting real penalties go uncalled ...) Don't give them powerplays.

3) Move the feet, pressure the puck carrier and get presence on the puck.

Yeah. Martens has been playing one night, and usually sitting the next. I wonder if that flip pass was the difference. Beautiful pass in big game atmosphere though, so he definitely earned another start.

I thought Martens played REALLY well last Friday, but he sat Saturday and that line was not effective without him. His skating continues to improve, and with some playing time he's reading the plays much better.

Keys to the game tonight:

1) No odd-man rushes ... be patient. If we don't give them an easy goal, they might not get any.

2) Work the ref. No stickwork, and if you feel the tug, go down. This incompetent crew only calls hooks and trips if the guy falls. (While letting real penalties go uncalled ...) Don't give them powerplays.

3) Move the feet, pressure the puck carrier and get presence on the puck.

We still give up way too many and Phil then has to do what he normally does--play great.

That's what I was thinking when I was typing it! 'Good Lord Hak, you've been on SiouxSports today, haven't you?'

Yea, He couldn't possibly have thought of that himself :(:D

Hak's being interviewed now by Mazzacco, and smiled through darn near the entire interview - (Mazzacco's 1st comment being about Trupp's goal).

!!! GO SIOUX !!!

We still give up way too many and Phil then has to do what he normally does--play great.

I just think keeping Minnesota off the board will hurt their morale... they start pressing and lose interest. On the other hand, if they get a couple on the board, their whole bench gets going. I'll take 0-0 after 40 if that's what we have to do ... because I think we'll win the 3rd.