SiouxSports.com Forum

Bright spots

Doc Nodak

I think there were a number of bright spots tonight. The team played with intensity throughout the game. The guys were finishing their checks and they seemed to have alot of jump.

The defensemen were solid as a group. Schneekloth is playing much better of late. Andy Schneider was great. Nick Fuher is improving. Chris Leinweber played one of his better games.

Bayda and Skarperud really work well together. Ryan Hale did some nice things. The Spiewak/Notermann/Hale line really deserves a break from the Goalpost God one of these days. I really like the way Ryan Connelly and Brian Canady compete

So close..

Lienweber, I found out a few things I didn' know, Chris came to the team when he was 17, realistically speaking he is still pretty young. I think he played well this past weekend, he didn't make defensive mistakes and he got the puck out of the zone...

I am sure he will make a contribution the rest of this year and into the next.

Leinweber is a guy I haven't been high on but I pull for.

I thought he played alright on Sat night.  I think he has problems skating.  Seems like he falls down a lot and that hurts him.

On Sat he seemed more confident with the puck.  Maybe that comes from just getting a bit more game time.  He hasn't had much.  I hope he can continue to improve.  

I've heard other reports of Bayda's strong play.  The complaints about upperclass leadership are broad-brushed, but I can't think of a time when Blais has been critical of Bayda, Skarperud, Spiewak or Notermann.

Regarding Bayda, check out these stats (Year, points, ppg):

1999   61  1.49

2000   41  1.08

2001   41  1.05

2002   49  2.33

Those are Darren Haydar's stats at UNH.  What happened in 1999 and 2002?  Jason Krog and Sean Collins, respectively.

These are Bayda's:

2000   40  0.91

2001   59  1.28

2002   21  0.91

A lot of people thought Bayda would probably be gone after this year, and he still might.  I'm not close to the situation, so I don't know.  But as an outsider it appears that this might not be the best time to leave, after he struggled (statistically) and the team has had a rough time.  

I think Bayda could enjoy a similar senior bump next year (but not to 2.33 ppg) as his linemates get more experienced and blue-chip (if you know what I mean).

In addition to looking forward to next year, I'm still hoping the Sioux make a bit of noise this year.  

It's great that you had a good time, dagies.