SiouxSports.com Forum

Weston Dressler

bincitysioux

Weston might have screwed up his ankle

Near the end of the game, he jumped up to catch a pass and landed very awkwardly on his right ankle. With the turf being frozen he was down before being helped off the field.

Hopefully tests tomorrow are good

• Upvote 1

Dressler breaks leg but might return this year

The father of Weston Dressler says the Saskatchewan Roughriders star broke his right leg and suffered a sprained ankle in the team's 32-22 win over the Toronto Argonauts on Saturday.

Rick Dressler says his son might still be able to return for the CFL playoffs.

Hopefully Weston heals quickly and is back for the playoffs.

Tough loss for a team that is right in the thick of a real dogfight to make the playoffs. Here is TSN's take on the story.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=294635

The Riders are tied for first with Calgary after the Stamps got smoked by Montreal today. The Riders are also a game up on BC and two up on Edmonton with 4 to play. Barring a major collapse, they will be in the post season, just have to find out where they will finish.

BTW, TSN reported that Dressler may be back for the playoffs this afternoon.

The Riders visit Calgary this Saturday in a first place clash. Calgary visits Regina in the last game of the regular season which could determine first place and a bye and hosting of the Western Final.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Went to the UND-Cal Poly game last week. My first trip to the Alerus. First UND game since 1998.

It got me to thinking...

If the Saskatchewan Roughriders (complete with Dressler and Alexander) played the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in a preseason game at the Alerus, would you, as a UND fan, go?

I just think it could be an interesting way for UND fans to see Weston play football in ND again wearing a green uniform. And the Rider fans and UND fans could get into some mutual appreciation thingy.

Merely an idea...

Hey,

Went to the UND-Cal Poly game last week. My first trip to the Alerus. First UND game since 1998.

It got me to thinking...

If the Saskatchewan Roughriders (complete with Dressler and Alexander) played the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in a preseason game at the Alerus, would you, as a UND fan, go?

I just think it could be an interesting way for UND fans to see Weston play football in ND again wearing a green uniform. And the Rider fans and UND fans could get into some mutual appreciation thingy.

Merely an idea...

Saves me the time and money buying a passport to see them. I think it would be fun!!

Hey,

It got me to thinking...

Merely an idea...

EDIT: I decided to do a little digging and found averages for the regular season but not the exhibition.

http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2009/time_zone/0

I think it would be great...I would go. I'm not real familiar with attendance averages for CFL games, I would have to guess that the Al would probably be too small though.

Hey,

It got me to thinking...

Merely an idea...

Sounds like fun. But I'm not sure how they'd go about right sizing the Alerus field to CFL dimensions.

Sounds like fun. But I'm not sure how they'd go about right sizing the Alerus field to CFL dimensions.

I don't think it would be possible to set up a CFL field. Not enough room, plus the carpet has the college lines painted on it and it would not be easy to replace with CFL markings.

I don't think it would be possible to set up a CFL field. Not enough room, plus the carpet has the college lines painted on it and it would not be easy to replace with CFL markings.

There are rules in place in order to adapt a Canadian football game to a US field (usually done in unique circumstances). As for attendance numbers, I think the CFL might do this for the sake of doing some unique exposure for the league, rather than a simple money-making gesture.

That, and many North Dakota colleges have sent players to many different CFL teams. UND easily comes to mind, and not all of the UND greats merely played for Winnipeg.

But like I said, just an idea. As a HS football coach, I'm quite envious of the HS teams that get to play in the Alerus on occation.

There are rules in place in order to adapt a Canadian football game to a US field (usually done in unique circumstances). As for attendance numbers, I think the CFL might do this for the sake of doing some unique exposure for the league, rather than a simple money-making gesture.

That, and many North Dakota colleges have sent players to many different CFL teams. UND easily comes to mind, and not all of the UND greats merely played for Winnipeg.

But like I said, just an idea. As a HS football coach, I'm quite envious of the HS teams that get to play in the Alerus on occation.

If they can make it work, I think it would be a great idea. I would be interested in attending such a game.

• 3 weeks later...

www.tsn.ca

The 13th man in green proved to be the difference but for all the wrong reasons. After a penalty for too many men in the dying seconds gave Damon Duval a second chance, the Montreal kicker converted from 33 yards out with no time on the clock to give the Montreal Alouettes a 28-27 victory over the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the 97th Grey Cup.

OUCH

:angry:

• 3 months later...

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

Weston Dressler says football has given him some tremendous opportunities, so why not give back? The Canadian Football League star is in his hometown of Bismarck, ND this week for a camp for kids.

Dressler and former Texas Tech star Graham Harrell are teammates in Saskatchewan and are involved in the 'Quarterback and Receivers Camp' put on by Healthways Training Center.

The camp focuses on four things: tactical, technical, psychological and physical.

"With this camp, we are trying to do something different and not so much the drills and skills of camp, but also a little bit more and for these high school kids," Dressler said. "Maybe they can learn something a little bit more from myself or from Graham (Harrell) as guys who played college football and are playing in the Canadian Football League now.

Harrell was only too happy to help out at the camp.

"It is a sport that has obviously done a lot for both Weston and I," Harrell said. "It is what we both love and to have an opportunity to teach these kids about it and get these kids passionate about it too and work with them and it will be really exciting. "

Dressler says he's almost fully recovered from his broken leg last year, and expects to be ready for the Roughriders training camp, as well as their opener on July 1st.

The Kids Camp continues through Sunday.

Courtesy www.kxnet.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...