SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Goalies

siouxfan512

Has anyone heard whether or not Aaron Dell is going pro for sure or not? I have heard he is attending his pro camp, but nothing on if he will sign or not.

Otherwise what is our goalie situation for next year? Gothberg? The kid from Alabama-Huntsville?

Without Dell this could be a soft spot for us next year. Thought?

Has anyone heard whether or not Aaron Dell is going pro for sure or not? I have heard he is attending his pro camp, but nothing on if he will sign or not.

Otherwise what is our goalie situation for next year? Gothberg? The kid from Alabama-Huntsville?

Without Dell this could be a soft spot for us next year. Thought?

Gothberg may be just as good as Dell right now...or better. I'm guessing at some point during the year Gothberg takes the job no matter who is on the team.

Dell attended Montreal's Prospects Camp earlier this month and it sounds like Montreal is hosting another camp this week. A Habs blogger speculated that Montreal may want to test a few more goalies before offering a contract.

Otherwise we will have Gothberg, Saunders and Maris

Gothberg may be better than Dell right now...or better. I'm guessing at some point during the year Gothberg takes the job no matter who is on the team.

I hope he is that good. I have heard nothing but good things about him, though it would be nice to have Dell's experience back for one more year until Gothberg gets comfortable.

Dell attended Montreal's Prospects Camp earlier this month and it sounds like Montreal is hosting another camp this week. A Habs blogger speculated that Montreal may want to test a few more goalies before offering a contract.

Otherwise we will have Gothberg, Saunders and Maris

What year with Saunders be? He should fit in pretty well with this team. Hope I am proved wrong and that is ends up being a strength and not a weakness this year.

I just wish we could get that stand on his head shut down LUCKY Goalie the past several championship teams have had

I want to win it all

& especially this last yr of WCHA as we knew it

I couldn't agree more! Win the WCHA tourney and the league also, going out with a BANG!

Gothberg may be just as good as Dell right now...or better. I'm guessing at some point during the year Gothberg takes the job no matter who is on the team.

I think we may be overlooking Mr. Saunders.... this kid is going to be a Junior and is the definition of battle tested. He played in 27 games last year. A glance at the numbers may not overwhelm you as great (.906 save percentage, 3.72 GAA) but think about those numbers a little more. Saunders faced 1013 shots last year and stopped all but 95. That is almost 40 SHOTS A GAME!!! This kid had to bring his A game every single night just to keep an awful UAH team in it. In looking at the Chargers' schedule, Saunders made 44 saves in a 3-1 win over Nebraska-Omaha, 55 saves in a 1-1 tie with Air Force and 41 saves in a win against Denver. Yes this is a small sample, but the point is, behind an awful team, this kid put up some really good numbers against good teams. UAH's schedule is tougher than anyone in the ECAC's.... this kid, Mr. Saunders, is probably the real deal and will have just as much to say about a potential job in the pipes this year, and that's even if Dell DOES come back.

• Upvote 2

I think what Gothberg provides something the Sioux haven't really seen in a goaltender in his ability to play the puck as almost a third defensemen. I love his size and his lateral movement is excellent for a big goaltender.

Have not seen Saunders whatsoever....just a big kid that has seen a lot of rubber in Alabama.....

I think we may be overlooking Mr. Saunders.... this kid is going to be a Junior and is the definition of battle tested. He played in 27 games last year. A glance at the numbers may not overwhelm you as great (.906 save percentage, 3.72 GAA) but think about those numbers a little more. Saunders faced 1013 shots last year and stopped all but 95. That is almost 40 SHOTS A GAME!!! This kid had to bring his A game every single night just to keep an awful UAH team in it. In looking at the Chargers' schedule, Saunders made 44 saves in a 3-1 win over Nebraska-Omaha, 55 saves in a 1-1 tie with Air Force and 41 saves in a win against Denver. Yes this is a small sample, but the point is, behind an awful team, this kid put up some really good numbers against good teams. UAH's schedule is tougher than anyone in the ECAC's.... this kid, Mr. Saunders, is probably the real deal and will have just as much to say about a potential job in the pipes this year, and that's even if Dell DOES come back.

Not only small, but highly anecdotal. He also allowed 7 goals in 35 shots against Air Force, 6 goals on 18 shots against Mankato (pulled in the second), 4 goals on 14 shots against Bemidji (pulled in second), 5 goals on 26 shots against Denver (pulled after second).

Yeah UND was looking at this kid during recruiting and he had a deficient team in front of him in Alabama, but to suggest that he is a godsend or anything half that is unfair to both Clarke and your own senses. I wish Clarke the best at UND; yet, a goalie who originally signed with Alabama-Huntsville is not who I want starting game in and game out in North Dakota's net----for obvious reasons. He'll provide experienced depth, but nothing more if Hak and crew did their due diligence getting a guy like Gothberg.

• Upvote 1

Not only small, but highly anecdotal. He also allowed 7 goals in 35 shots against Air Force, 6 goals on 18 shots against Mankato (pulled in the second), 4 goals on 14 shots against Bemidji (pulled in second), 5 goals on 26 shots against Denver (pulled after second).

Yeah UND was looking at this kid during recruiting and he had a deficient team in front of him in Alabama, but to suggest that he is a godsend or anything half that is unfair to both Clarke and your own senses. I wish Clarke the best at UND; yet, a goalie who originally signed with Alabama-Huntsville is not who I want starting game in and game out in North Dakota's net----for obvious reasons. He'll provide experienced depth, but nothing more if Hak and crew did their due diligence getting a guy like Gothberg.

The thing is you never know what you are getting with any goalie until they prove themselves. Even then, confidence is a fickle thing. Eidsness had that stretch where he didn't look very confident a few years ago, but came back strong last year. I can see both goalies playing if Dell leaves to see who is going to exhibit that confidence. I know friends in Fargo said that Gothberg had issues giving up a bad goal then made saves that you wouldn't expect many goalies to make. Maybe he corrected that later in the year, but he will have to bring that confidence to the college level, because I have a feeling that many that have high expectations for Gothberg will be ripping him to no end if he gives up a bad goal a game. It is nice to have that base talent to draw from, and hopefully confidence won't be an issue for any of our goalies, including Dell if he chooses to come back.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have called him a godsend.... oh wait... I DIDN'T... thanks for putting words in my mouth. I am simply saying that this kid has been battle tested at the D-I level. Unlike Maris and Gothberg. Can Zane's numbers from the USHL translate to the WCHA? Maybe... I hope so. I used to coach the kid in little league baseball in Thief River, he's a great kid and I hope him a couple national titles at UND, but he hasn't been there yet.

You are being extremely hypocritical by saying my stats are anecdotal and then offering one more game in your side of the arguement. I am no where near saying Saunders is in any way a "godsend." I am only saying that his experience shows he can perform. Put this kid behind a top flight defense at UND and he could be pretty damn good. So could Gothberg. It's all for the sake of argument. Do you think those performances in question were all the fault of Saunders? Could it possibly have been the defense in front of him? I think so... Will this kid be elite? I have no clue. Will he be serviceable and better with a good defense? In my opinion, without a doubt.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have called him a godsend.... oh wait... I DIDN'T... thanks for putting words in my mouth. I am simply saying that this kid has been battle tested at the D-I level. Unlike Maris and Gothberg. Can Zane's numbers from the USHL translate to the WCHA? Maybe... I hope so. I used to coach the kid in little league baseball in Thief River, he's a great kid and I hope him a couple national titles at UND, but he hasn't been there yet.

You are being extremely hypocritical by saying my stats are anecdotal and then offering one more game in your side of the arguement. I am no where near saying Saunders is in any way a "godsend." I am only saying that his experience shows he can perform. Put this kid behind a top flight defense at UND and he could be pretty damn good. So could Gothberg. It's all for the sake of argument. Do you think those performances in question were all the fault of Saunders? Could it possibly have been the defense in front of him? I think so... Will this kid be elite? I have no clue. Will he be serviceable and better with a good defense? In my opinion, without a doubt.

Not just extremely hypocritical, but overtly hypocritical. One end of the spectrum doesn't paint the entire picture. But there's no reason you should feel the need to become so defensive behind your computer screen, we're both UND fans (i think). I just disagree with your assessment that Saunders may be "the real deal" because we were "overlooking" him based upon your argument of three outstanding games in the 27 in which he played. That's all. Otherwise, Aaron Dell will certainly sign that NHL contract soon because last season he shut out Denver, shut out Omaha, and only allowed 1 goal on 26 shots during a home victory against the WCHA regular season champions.

Yeah I was about to post but the guy really had no argument. I hope Saunders is very good....and I think I just may. However, yes the kid's stood on his head a few nights, but the team in from of him was god awful. So there will be some nights where his numers look great and others where they look terrible. He may have had 60 shots a game, but because his team was so bad....I'm guessing a lot of those shots were clean looks from 4th liners. Also, how does an awesome goalie from Canada end up in Alabama...not very often I would add. I am guessing he must have peaked late....as why would the Sioux even pull him in if he wasn't decent. I will just say that going into the year....this kid has absolutely nothing on Gothberg. But during the season anything can happen. We'll see.

I like your follow up response...you are, for the most part, right on here. However, I would simply like to note that it is perfectly fine to overlook saunders because he is a goalie coming from a program that couldn't hang in the MIAC (D3). I would actaully say Gothberg has more pressure (if Dell leaves) as he is the goaile with awesome accolades. Saunders simply has to come in and be steady. I still think Gothberg will end up being the starter though...or he'll bounce to Canada at some point in his career (ala Jeff Frazee).

There is no way Gothberg will go to Canada. Jeff Frazee didn't go to Canada either he signed a pro deal.

Hope so. Anyway, yes I know Frazee went to the AHL. I was trying to point out (in limited fashion no less) that most players try a new location when they are not getting playing time. I remember Frazee was getting blown up frequently (remember Bina's cross ice goal) and he started losing playing time. He signed an AHL deal the next year and was (or was in consideration for) goalie of the year. I guarentee that if Gothberg is half way decent (which I know he is), Boston will want him seeing regular minutes.

Ugh guys... all I'm saying is that Saunders played every game behind a hideous defense. I'm thinking his numbers will improve with UND. He wouldnt be coming here if he didn't have talent. We'll see.

Yeah....and we agreed with that.