SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

Regardless of the loss last night this Sioux team will go down as one with more heart and grit than I can recall. They were thrown behind the 8 ball,like a few other teams, when JT Miller decided to jump ship before the season started. Add in Grimaldi going down for basically the entire year followed be O'Donnell and Rodwell and the other injuries and the 4-7-1 start this team could of said it's just not our year. But in true Hakstol coched teams they fought back and went 22-6-2 the rest of the way and made another run at a national title only to have the gophers end their year which is only fitting since the Sioux have ended theirs the last few times. Anyhoo proud as hell to be a Sioux fan and looking forward to next year.

If I were a betting man I would say Kristo and Nelson are the only guys leaving besides the seniors obviously. I said that about Kristo last year and I was wrong along with many others but the way he gave up in the later stages of the game last night I'd damn near bet my house that he is done. But with all the experience the new guys got this year along with he injured guys coming back and another stellar recruiting class coming in the Sioux will be in the thick of things again come next season.

• Upvote 2

This was a great season for the team they were able to put on the ice. Tough start, but fun to watch down the stretch. Another team that you could pull for...great group of character guys.

While this season ended before the players and fans preferred, you wonder if the metal that was tempered in fire this year will show its quality in the next few years.

While there may be more top end players coming in, one HAS to think that teams in the next few years will benefit greatly from the depth provided by guys like Pattyn, Gaarder, Panzerella, Senkbeil, and those I have forgotten to name. These guys played big minutes in important games and should be able to contribute at as high or higher levels down the road and really complement the lineup.

Incoming, highly recruited rookies, will learn that they will have to earn their ice time, even more so than usual in this program.

No, they are a team of undrafted players.

Surely Bob Daniels recruited most of them to play in his system. (Walk-on means not recruited and has nothing to do with draft status.)

PS - Anyone else notice how much Bob Daniels looks like the FSU logo on their jerseys? :D

Ok. I will concede that point. I fixed my post, bad analogy.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone remembers when Dave Hakstol got caught "gesturing" toward an official during a game. It was caught on live television.

Well, in reality, he one-upped himself. But few noticed.

Deep down inside I still believe the NCAA came after UND as hard as it did just as much for the moniker as for having Ralph Engelstad build such an amazing facility as he did for UND Hockey. (The zealots at the NCAA are human, and very jealous.)

Well, Dave complied with the NCAA's "no logo, no moniker" edict, but he also got to give another message to the NCAA by his choice of headgear while at the West Regional.

I'm thinking Dave Hakstol "flipped the bird" on television again, not to an official but to the entire NCAA this time, but this time very few recognized and understood his real message.

032312hakstolcopy.jpg

Masterfully played, David. Masterfully played.

• Upvote 1

Everyone remembers when Dave Hakstol got caught "gesturing" toward an official during a game. It was caught on live television.

Well, in reality, he one-upped himself. But few noticed.

Deep down inside I still believe the NCAA came after UND as hard as it did just as much for the moniker as for having Ralph Engelstad build such an amazing facility as he did for UND Hockey. (The zealots at the NCAA are human, and very jealous.)

Well, Dave complied with the NCAA's "no logo, no moniker" edict, but he also got to give another message to the NCAA by his choice of headgear while at the West Regional.

I'm thinking Dave Hakstol "flipped the bird" on television again, not to an official but to the entire NCAA this time, but this time very few recognized and understood his real message.

032312hakstolcopy.jpg

Masterfully played, David. Masterfully played.

I thought the same thing; couldn't agree more.

Seriously, do you really think the NCAA cares what some institutions facility looks like?

I'm not sure I am interpretting your question correctly so I will guess at the two possibilities I dreamed up:

Interpretation #1: The NCAA does not care what the facilities of its member institutions physically look like.

The answer to this would be yes, they do. To go with their mandate regarding hostile and abusive logos, mascots, and nicknames this would also include the venues in which those member institutions play.

Interpretation #2: This is a sarcastic rhetorical question to which the response is:

As a liberal and status conscious organization held hostage by the PC crowd that is hell bent on social change, it isn't the facility itself but the person who funded it that the NCAA has issues against. Had another private organization built the identical arena even with the identical visages of the Native American symbols but it was built through money other than Englestad's, I'm not sure that the NCAA would be so conscious of it, especially if the arrangement between the arena and UND remains the same as it is today.

I'm not sure I am interpretting your question correctly so I will guess at the two possibilities I dreamed up:

Interpretation #1: The NCAA does not care what the facilities of its member institutions physically look like.

The answer to this would be yes, they do. To go with their mandate regarding hostile and abusive logos, mascots, and nicknames this would also include the venues in which those member institutions play.

Interpretation #2: This is a sarcastic rhetorical question to which the response is:

As a liberal and status conscious organization held hostage by the PC crowd that is hell bent on social change, it isn't the facility itself but the person who funded it that the NCAA has issues against. Had another private organization built the identical arena even with the identical visages of the Native American symbols but it was built through money other than Englestad's, I'm not sure that the NCAA would be so conscious of it, especially if the arrangement between the arena and UND remains the same as it is today.

The NCAA passed the Native American policy for all schools. They started looking at the policy in 1998 or before, which was before Engelstad announced plans for the arena. This isn't about Ralph Engelstad or the REA. This is about their efforts to eliminate any potential racism that may exist around their events. That is the issue the NCAA is concerned with. It wouldn't have mattered how the REA was financed, the NCAA would have had the same issues with the nickname and logo as they do now. Getting approval from local tribes at the beginning would have eliminated all the problems that have come up since. Florida State and Utah had it figured out and were prepared. UND was not.

"liberalism" is supposed to mean an open mind, by definition. I grew up believing that definition. Now, I understand that it is an allegory for a political agenda. That agenda is to cause discourse and to oppose any belief that is not core to the agenda. It has never been more manifest than it is in the nickname debate. My position on the nickname is that it is over and time to move on; however...

I am 1/16th Dakota Sioux. All my family has been raised white. Regardless, I am part Sioux.

I am offended by the fact that someone in an office somewhere believes that they are more capable of making decisions than I am. I have an MBA and make multi-million dollar decisions daily, but I guess someone, somewhere believes they know what is best for me. I question how many are aware of the native ties to the State of ND. I know that they don't respect the pipe ceremony- which means more to a native than any of this "white man paper". I know they don't comprehend the respect that is given at the Ralph or before each puck drop. They have no idea about the fact that the logo is a piece of art created by and for "the people" with each color meaning something, each feather meaning something, and even the direction of the face meaning something.

It bothers me that a bunch of fat white men in a room can make a decision about the SIoux name...it reminds me of other legal papers and promises and presents delivered by white men to the Indian.

The NCAA is no different than the gattling gun- eliminating all remnants of the people from the land, so that the white man can live in peace.

Long live the fighting sioux, and way to go Hak for your quiet rebellion.

• Upvote 1

"liberalism" is supposed to mean an open mind, by definition. I grew up believing that definition.

What you describe is now known as a "classical liberal". They had to change the definition in light of how the term "liberal" is used today.

"liberalism" is supposed to mean an open mind, by definition. I grew up believing that definition. Now, I understand that it is an allegory for a political agenda. That agenda is to cause discourse and to oppose any belief that is not core to the agenda. It has never been more manifest than it is in the nickname debate. My position on the nickname is that it is over and time to move on; however...

I am 1/16th Dakota Sioux. All my family has been raised white. Regardless, I am part Sioux.

I am offended by the fact that someone in an office somewhere believes that they are more capable of making decisions than I am. I have an MBA and make multi-million dollar decisions daily, but I guess someone, somewhere believes they know what is best for me. I question how many are aware of the native ties to the State of ND. I know that they don't respect the pipe ceremony- which means more to a native than any of this "white man paper". I know they don't comprehend the respect that is given at the Ralph or before each puck drop. They have no idea about the fact that the logo is a piece of art created by and for "the people" with each color meaning something, each feather meaning something, and even the direction of the face meaning something.

It bothers me that a bunch of fat white men in a room can make a decision about the SIoux name...it reminds me of other legal papers and promises and presents delivered by white men to the Indian.

The NCAA is no different than the gattling gun- eliminating all remnants of the people from the land, so that the white man can live in peace.

Long live the fighting sioux, and way to go Hak for your quiet rebellion.

Did you get free tutition also?

<p>

<br />

Did you get free tutition also?<br />

</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>No, I did not. One great grandparent does not qualify for anything that i am aware of, especially when there has been no &quot;official&quot; tribal affiliation by my family since before the turn of the 20th century. &nbsp;I also did not attend UND. &nbsp;I am actually (whisper now) a double Gopher...However, I have never, not once, cheered for the rodents in hockey. &nbsp;You can't grow up in GF and be a Gopher fan, even if you move. &nbsp;I have actually now lived in the twin cities longer than I lived in GF too, but Sioux pride runs deep. &nbsp;Much deeper than two degrees.</p>

<p></p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>No, I did not. One great grandparent does not qualify for anything that i am aware of, especially when there has been no &quot;official&quot; tribal affiliation by my family since before the turn of the 20th century. &nbsp;I also did not attend UND. &nbsp;I am actually (whisper now) a double Gopher...However, I have never, not once, cheered for the rodents in hockey. &nbsp;You can't grow up in GF and be a Gopher fan, even if you move. &nbsp;I have actually now lived in the twin cities longer than I lived in GF too, but Sioux pride runs deep. &nbsp;Much deeper than two degrees.</p>

What band would your great-grandfather have been a member of?

The topic had shifted to how the meaning of words to describe political beliefs had changed, and I thought I would add to the discussion.

George Bush is responsible for a lot more serious matters than NCAA hockey, unfortunately.

So is our current president, unfortunately.

Let's gack back on topic, please.