SiouxSports.com Forum

Cable vs. FTA Satellite vs. Streaming

GeauxSioux

My wife and i are discussing dropping our cable and possibly going FTA or just streaming. It just doesn't make much sense to pay that much money to watch less than 10 channels of programming. We just don't have to time to watch that much TV with a houseful of kids anyway.

Our TVs are ancient by society's standards, the newest one being 9 years old and neither of them are HD. We do have a blue ray that picks up the wifi, so we are able to stream youtubes and nefflix to our 2000 pound TV.

So my questions are do you get anything worth watching, besides Sioux hockey, on the FTA satellite? Has anyone else gone the "streaming only" route? Are there other alternatives?

Obviously none this can't happen until after hockey season is over. ;)

There are very few "full-time" free channels on FTA that are worth watching. Mostly foreign channels and religious channels. There are a couple news channels. The best thing FTA is good for is picking up live sports feeds, mostly college.

I don't consider FTA a convenience, rather it is a hobby. I've had a system for about 7 years, and honestly, since the Sioux games became available on Fox College Sports two or three years ago, I only turn the thing on once or twice a season if there is a chance that I can scan in an away game. I watched the Fresno St football game on it this season, and that is the only time I used it so far this year.

FTA can be a great supplement to cable or regular satellite, but if you are hoping for it to be your main avenue of television viewing, I think you'd be disappointed unless you are a Muslim.

Having said that, given that UND games won't be available on FCS after next season, IMO it would work great for you to watch Sioux home games, assuming that they will still be available on FTA like they are now. I think they will, because that is how Midco and the rest of the regional cable companies up here get the feed.

My wife and i are discussing dropping our cable and possibly going FTA or just streaming. It just doesn't make much sense to pay that much money to watch less than 10 channels of programming. We just don't have to time to watch that much TV with a houseful of kids anyway.

Our TVs are ancient by society's standards, the newest one being 9 years old and neither of them are HD. We do have a blue ray that picks up the wifi, so we are able to stream youtubes and nefflix to our 2000 pound TV.

So my questions are do you get anything worth watching, besides Sioux hockey, on the FTA satellite? Has anyone else gone the "streaming only" route? Are there other alternatives?

Obviously none this can't happen until after hockey season is over. ;)

I probably watch the majority of my television via streaming. I have the ability to get the major networks by regular broadcast, but streaming allows me to watch when I want without worrying about recording. You often have fewer commercials with streaming. There are a few broadcast shows that aren't available through streaming. Sports can be a problem. ESPN is not available through regular streaming for example. There are some "services" that rebroadcast some sporting events. The most reliable use feeds that are meant for Europe and put them on the internet. Hulu and Netflix are great resources for a lot of material. Right now I stream through my laptop, but I am considering the purchase of a Roku or other box that would allow me to stream directly to the television without the laptop.

I probably watch the majority of my television via streaming. I have the ability to get the major networks by regular broadcast, but streaming allows me to watch when I want without worrying about recording. You often have fewer commercials with streaming. There are a few broadcast shows that aren't available through streaming. Sports can be a problem. ESPN is not available through regular streaming for example. There are some "services" that rebroadcast some sporting events. The most reliable use feeds that are meant for Europe and put them on the internet. Hulu and Netflix are great resources for a lot of material. Right now I stream through my laptop, but I am considering the purchase of a Roku or other box that would allow me to stream directly to the television without the laptop.

I know that the Super Bowl was streamed, but are most NFL games streamed now?

I know that I can still stream a lot of the Sioux stuff via UNDSports.com, so maybe the FTA isn't worth it for us.

Not to hijack the thread but on a related question, would a Roku or similar device enable picking up the streaming UND Sports Network (or whatever its called now)?

Good question. I thought about that one last night. If not available now, maybe they will make it available post Fox College Sports.

I'm so far behind the curve on tech.

I know that the Super Bowl was streamed, but are most NFL games streamed now?

I know that I can still stream a lot of the Sioux stuff via UNDSports.com, so maybe the FTA isn't worth it for us.

NBC streams the Sunday night games like they did for the Super Bowl. The fun thing is that they give you several camera options so you can play TV director. The only other NFL options are a couple of sites where people relay their TV signal. Most of those have been shut down, especially the ones that are located in the US. One in particular seems to work OK. Some streams are good and some are really bad. Some games will only have 1 feed while others have multiple. The best are usually feeds that are meant for British or European distribution that are put back on the web. Some of them have a separate pregame and half time, some use the regular network. The game itself is almost always the regular announcers. This site has a wide range of sports from around the world every day.

I haven't checked out Roku enough to know whether UNDSports works on it. I know that they have access to some sports programming. But I don't think it is any of the major sports programming as of yet, so no NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB.

Not to hijack the thread but on a related question, would a Roku or similar device enable picking up the streaming UND Sports Network (or whatever its called now)?

I know there's not currently a channel for it, and I doubt that will change. The broadcast provider would either need to partner with Roku, or someone would have to partner with the broadcast provider and make a channel.

I bought a Roku LT shortly after Christmas for a TV with no cable nearby. I love the little box, and 98% of its use is for Netflix streaming. For streaming web events to a TV you'd need something like a Boxee box or Home Theater PC. In some cases, you could also need a computer sending the stream to your streaming box.

Unfortunately, live sports is the problem with cable-cutting. I'm considering it, but am realistic that I'll only get network sports broadcasts (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) via OTA HD antenna...so no Sioux hockey. I haven't put a ton of thought into a FTA satellite, but that would probably be the only option when the games aren't on WDAZ/WDAY.

I see on the Roku website under sports that BYU is listed. Now for what reason, other than money, can't UND set up a channel like BYU? :)

I see USHL has a channel there also.

Doesn't the BYU channel show up on some cable or satellite systems? I'm pretty sure that UND could set up its own channel. As a matter of fact, that was something I either talked about or hinted at in the discussion over the future of UND sports on television.

If you enjoy sports I would get yourself a FTA system. I have had mine for 2 years and love it. Make sure you get a motor for your dish. I wish I would have gotten years ago. Well worth the money. Fixed systems are a waste in my opinion. I also have an OTA antenna here in Sioux Falls and receive between 25-30 feeds. Last fall I watched 2 Big Sky games every Saturday and sometimes 3 were on.

Greatsiouxnation is spot on. In many locations you can pick up all your locals in hd with rabbit ears. Pair this with a fta system for sioux games and a hdd dvr....and no more monthly bills for tv! And fssn via fta satellite has great picture quality. Talk to psb if you have questions about what system to go with. My fingers are crossed that the games will continue to broadcast in fta next season.

Thanks for all of the input. We don't watch a lot of TV now, so maybe just dumping the cable and streaming is the best route at this point. Roku looks pretty cool for that.

Last weekend the kids were watching a movie on the "boat anchor television", so I was streaming the game on the iMac. When their movie ended, i turned the game on FCS and the streaming and television were in synch. Surprised the heck out of me.

One of the kids also noticed the picture on the iMac looked brighter that the television. I guess time is taking it's toll on the old Sony.

Maybe my next TV should be one of these or maybe I'll wait for the new iTV

Streaming can be hit and miss at times unless you have one heck of an ISP. I know ours out here in Green River is lousy, so I will have to keep Directv. Added beni with Directv......I take a dish out camping with me and then when using the travel trailer, I can get TV anywhere for an extra $5 per month. I just use my old SD dish and an extra SD receiver that I activate when I head out camping (usually May-Oct).