SiouxSports.com Forum

2011-2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

We have offered one or two kids so far for the 2012 season.

Matt Van Scyoc, 6'7" SF from Green Lake, WS, was offered last August. He has since received offers from Miami (OH) and Army. He averaged about 20 points this year and appears to be on a lot of teams' radar. His priorities in making the college decision: 1) academics, 2) playing time and 3) coaches that are able to help him develop both on and off the court. I would think Nos. 1 & 2 would bode well for us (hopefully, No. 3 as well). He apparently really liked his visit to Miami.

James Harrington, 6', 170 PG from Cedar Rapids, IA We have offered this kid in FB but may have also done so for BB. It appears that he is talented enough to play either sport and/or track in college. He also has an offer from IN St for FB. He plays WR in football with 4.4 speed and is to have great hands. Apparently Notre Dame, Iowa and IA St. are interested in him for FB. Sounds like it would be great it get him in any sport!

Marcus Tyus, 6'1", 175, PG from Anoka. Has no offers yet but is getting a lot of attention from us, NDSU, SDSU, USD, Dayton and Ohio. Scores a lot for a PG - about 22/game including 46 against Elk River.

Dont understand why we keep offering point guards and guards. If we get verbals from all these guards in 2-3 years we will have 5 point guards on the floor with the tallest being 6'. I know they are going after the best they can get but seriously almost all point guards lately. In the Big Sky we need some big bodies for our future. Go Sioux

Wiki has been updated with potential recruits for 2012-13.

A couple of new players were added:

Sanjay Lumpkin, 6'6", SG from Benilde-St. Margarets. He has offers from Drake, Holy Cross and IN St.

Ryan Benoy, PG from WI. Plays for his dad and averaged about 19 points this last year. A lot of schools are looking at him but I don't think he has any offers yet.

I won't start a new thread here yet for 2013-14 but I have listed a couple players in Wiki:

Carson Shanks from Prior Lake, 7' and still growing. Has an offer from UNI but I would think some majors might be interested in him in a year or so.

AJ Jacobson from Shanley has the potential to play D1.

• 2 weeks later...

Wiki has been updated with potential recruits for 2012-13.

A couple of new players were added:

Sanjay Lumpkin, 6'6", SG from Benilde-St. Margarets. He has offers from Drake, Holy Cross and IN St.

Ryan Benoy, PG from WI. Plays for his dad and averaged about 19 points this last year. A lot of schools are looking at him but I don't think he has any offers yet.

I won't start a new thread here yet for 2013-14 but I have listed a couple players in Wiki:

Carson Shanks from Prior Lake, 7' and still growing. Has an offer from UNI but I would think some majors might be interested in him in a year or so.

AJ Jacobson from Shanley has the potential to play D1.

I think that is Pat Smykowski's son.

Do we have scholarships to offer for this class? I thought we only have one scholly for this year and was thinking it was going to Benton after his first year. As it stands right now we will not have an experienced big man for this freshman class (outside Brekke) when these freshmen are seniors. When this freshman class are seniors the only big men we will have is Brekke and freshmen big men if we even get any, unless a juco player comes in when they are seniors.

Do we have scholarships to offer for this class? I thought we only have one scholly for this year and was thinking it was going to Benton after his first year. As it stands right now we will not have an experienced big man for this freshman class (outside Brekke) when these freshmen are seniors. When this freshman class are seniors the only big men we will have is Brekke and freshmen big men if we even get any, unless a juco player comes in when they are seniors.

The next class absolutely has to include a JC big man or two. The transition is still making it hard to gain JC players that will make an impact. Next year, maybe there is hope in that department.

Since next years juniors will have had four years of scholarships, are they really owed a fifth year "free", especially if they are not contributing?

• Upvote 1

The next class absolutely has to include a JC big man or two. The transition is still making it hard to gain JC players that will make an impact. Next year, maybe there is hope in that department.

Since next years juniors will have had four years of scholarships, are they really owed a fifth year "free", especially if they are not contributing?

I was thinking along the same lines. I honestly don't believe any of the current group of red-shirt sophs will be brought back for a fifth year UNLESS they are actually part of the regular rotation next season. Just my opinion.

Yeah, 5th year seniors rarely help a team be successful :silly: The only reason the Bison beat us down there was because of 5th year seniors. Granted the reason we were tied at the half was because our freshman guards caused their point guards to wet themselves, plus Wilmer was playing out of his mind. I never had been at all impressed with Coleman, until he played the way he played in the 2nd half against us. I happen to believe that Allard will be a very good 5th year senior for us. I also think that Wilmer could be, Goodman may not be a star at that time but could be very solid. Haugen, if I was only going off his red-shirt freshman season, I would have said that he could be very solid by his 5th year, but as he hardly played last year due to injury...my verdict is still out. The whole point of redshirting players is to get them to that 5th year, because by then often times it's men against boys. Their bodies are way different than younger players and they've been through it all. No, I am not jumping on the let's get rid of this class of players bandwagon.

I was thinking along the same lines. I honestly don't believe any of the current group of red-shirt sophs will be brought back for a fifth year UNLESS they are actually part of the regular rotation next season. Just my opinion.

Even including Allard and perhaps Wilmer?

Allard was the guy I was least excited about when this class came in, but I thought he's really progressed since being here and really started to carve out a niche for himself last season. IMO he could be important after Mitchell graduates.

If Wilmer stays healthy, it seems like he could have alot of upside at least defensively............

A little off-topic, but what was the last name of the other Jordan from Fargo the left the program, and who got his scholarship.........Brekke/Schuler or one of the 3 true freshman?

Yeah, 5th year seniors rarely help a team be successful :silly: The only reason the Bison beat us down there was because of 5th year seniors. Granted the reason we were tied at the half was because our freshman guards caused their point guards to wet themselves, plus Wilmer was playing out of his mind. I never had been at all impressed with Coleman, until he played the way he played in the 2nd half against us. I happen to believe that Allard will be a very good 5th year senior for us. I also think that Wilmer could be, Goodman may not be a star at that time but could be very solid. Haugen, if I was only going off his red-shirt freshman season, I would have said that he could be very solid by his 5th year, but as he hardly played last year due to injury...my verdict is still out. The whole point of redshirting players is to get them to that 5th year, because by then often times it's men against boys. Their bodies are way different than younger players and they've been through it all. No, I am not jumping on the let's get rid of this class of players bandwagon.

Personally, I believe that Allard and Wilmer will be key contributors in the coming year. The rest of them: not so much unless there is major improvement. Was not suggesting that the rest of the players be dropped, as a deep roster is needed in the event of injuries. For their fifth year players that aren't contributing, why should they continue to get a scholarship, when they have had four years to complete degree requirements? We are asking Shane Benton to come on for the first year without a scholarship, and he shows significant promise. What's the difference between that, and having the non-contributing fifth year senior walk on? Benton will sacrifice for the team. Would the fifth-year seniors?

By not freeing up more scholarships for big men, Jones would essentially be writing off this team in the Big Sky for the first two years.

Allard was the guy I was least excited about when this class came in, but I thought he's really progressed since being here and really started to carve out a niche for himself last season. IMO he could be important after Mitchell graduates.

If Wilmer stays healthy, it seems like he could have alot of upside at least defensively............

A little off-topic, but what was the last name of the other Jordan from Fargo the left the program, and who got his scholarship.........Brekke/Schuler or one of the 3 true freshman?

I think Wilmer and Allard will be a part of the regular rotation next year, and as such I believe they would come back for a fifth year. If any of the other three members of that class work their way into the lineup next year, they would be in the same situation. But I just can't see carrying all five scholarship fifth-year seniors if they aren't playing. I've been following UND basketball for a long time, and frankly I can't think of many players on scholarship who stuck around for four or five years and weren't a part of the regular rotation for their final two years (excluding injured players).

Brekke and Schuler had already signed when this other Jordan kid left the program. So, one of the true freshmen got his scholarship.

Personally, I believe that Allard and Wilmer will be key contributors in the coming year. The rest of them: not so much unless there is major improvement. Was not suggesting that the rest of the players be dropped, as a deep roster is needed in the event of injuries. For their fifth year players that aren't contributing, why should they continue to get a scholarship, when they have had four years to complete degree requirements? We are asking Shane Benton to come on for the first year without a scholarship, and he shows significant promise. What's the difference between that, and having the non-contributing fifth year senior walk on? Benton will sacrifice for the team. Would the fifth-year seniors?

By not freeing up more scholarships for big men, Jones would essentially be writing off this team in the Big Sky for the first two years.

Agree, without some big men to help Brekke this talented freshmen class will just fall into the middle of the Big Sky conference in their only two years in the conference. What a shame that would be to have so much talent in one class and not help them out where needed. Hopefully there is something major in the works or expect to be middle of the pack at best.

My big issue is the whole idea of potentially having a five-person, fifth-year senior class where at most one is a starter; two or three of them likely never play regular minutes; and the fact that by all of them staying for a fifth year, that could mean that no recruits are brought in for 2012-13 because all the scholarships are already taken. If this is indeed what ends up happening, it will have been an egregious mistake by Jones in managing the distribution of scholarships among the classes. You should never have a year where you have no scholarships available with which to recruit. I don't believe it ever happened when UND had 10 scholarships as a dII program. I can't imagine why it should happen with 13 as a dI program.

• 9 months later...

We are looking at A.J. Adams, a 6'6", 215 PF, now playing at E. Arizona JC.

This players seems pretty solid with very good size. Definately need someone of this size and shooting ability to replace Mitchell next year. Again, the problem is we have no scholarships at this time available.

This players seems pretty solid with very good size. Definately need someone of this size and shooting ability to replace Mitchell next year. Again, the problem is we have no scholarships at this time available.

He is averaging about 12 points and 8 rebounds a game. Shooting 43% from the field and 54% from the line.

Why is everyone even talking about recuiting? We all know as the Sioux we will not get any recruites. The sioux will always get recruitwes as the sioux because students have grwon up seeing fans and hearing about the University. Not just because of the name issues. By the way he sounds like a good recruite if only we were able to recruit.

We recruited as a Dll. school if you do not remeber. I believe fans will jump aboard whenthey find out that the university stands up for its tradition. Not just for sports.

You won't get any recruits if there is no conference or no NCAA aspirations. You babble on other threads and have no concerns at all for UND athletics.