SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs CC

AZSIOUX

Was a fun game to be at. CC is good or I should say their top line is good. IF UND played the first 30+ like they did the last half of the game, they'd have walked away with 2 points. Thought with about 5 minutes left in the second, UND kicked it in. They dominated almost all the 3rd and CC was just hanging on in the OT.

E made some sick saves, but agree the semi wrap around by Rau was not a good goal to give up at that time of the game.

VV looked sluggish...guy next to me said VV was ill?

Totally suprised to see Trupp play...he looked pretty good.

Agree our PP and PK didn't look real good.

Good overall team effort though. I think UND figures out how to slow down Rau and company tomorrow.

I blame it on the trip to UAA last weekend.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our blueline had a rough game Sat. Joe needs to be our best D and he wasn't by a long shot. Rau's goal was all on Joe (not the goalie - note to the Ralph staff - he was the player of the game). Too many turnovers and too many gambles.

With CC's speed, fundamental hockey is a must (pucks to the net, finish checks all over the ice). Trying to be too fancy/ one-on-one won't work against this team. When we forechecked hard and physical, the puck stayed in their end. We need 60 min of that on Sun.

You're right, Joe made an error on Rau's goal, but Genoway deserves triple the blame overall on the night, in my opinion, because of how out of position he was most of the time. He leaves Joe hanging trying to stop odd-man rushes, and that's where half of the blame the Joe-haters give out comes from. It's hit or miss. Sometimes Genoway plays more controlled and more responsible defensively and it pays off.

Here's what happens. Genoway likes to pinch and get in deep and be a part of the offense. His great speed allows him to make up for this against most teams because he can turn on a dime and get back. But, against fast/skilled teams like CC and BC, he gets burned and can't get back like he normally would. Joe, who is a big, lumbering defenseman, is the one who has to make up for this, and people put the blame on Joe because he doesn't prevent every fricken odd-man rush. This also tends to happen when Chay forces too much from the point...resulting in blocked shots going back the other way again. He's been better about that though since mid-December.

Genoway does wonders for our offense, but we're at our best when he plays the position he's assigned. He's still effective playing a controlled offense, and it pays off defensively. I'm really sick of the Joe haters. I'm glad Joe is graduating so he doesn't have to get quadruple the negative blame than he deserves. Joe's not perfect, but Joe's been pretty damn good for having the tough luck he's had this season with the concussion and all.

Per the Forum this AM, Owens says CC played better yesterday than they did in either game vs. MN last weekend. Hextall says UND did have jump or play physical enough first half of game.

With the DU lose last night, recognition of the Sr. class today, and hopefully better defensive play, I think UND shuts down CC's top line and wins today.

With CC's speed, fundamental hockey is a must (pucks to the net, finish checks all over the ice). Trying to be too fancy/ one-on-one won't work against this team. When we forechecked hard and physical, the puck stayed in their end. We need 60 min of that on Sun.

As the game progressed, UND started playing less one-on-one. But I totally agree that we need to put the puck on net!! VV had a wide open look just outside the slot in the 2nd and over passed the puck. If we play today like we did the final 25+ minutes of regulation and OT on Sat., UND will win.

Genoway does wonders for our offense, but we're at our best when he plays the position he's assigned. He's still effective playing a controlled offense, and it pays off defensively. I'm really sick of the Joe haters. I'm glad Joe is graduating so he doesn't have to get quadruple the negative blame than he deserves. Joe's not perfect, but Joe's been pretty damn good for having the tough luck he's had this season with the concussion and all.

Totally agree. Chay can look outstanding at times, but when he doesn't it then makes Joe look worse because of Joe being the only D-man back. They are a great D combo IF Chay plays D first!

I noticed during the game that there wasn't the usual "Hit of the Game" or "Play of the Game" shown on the jumbotron. Anyone know why? There were some pretty good hits and plays by our team last night, it would've been neat to see which ones they picked. Hopefully it'll be back tonight?

Our blueline had a rough game Sat. Joe needs to be our best D and he wasn't by a long shot. Rau's goal was all on Joe (not the goalie - note to the Ralph staff - he was the player of the game). Too many turnovers and too many gambles.

Did anyone else think the dump in on Rau's wraparound goal was icing? I swear CC was 2 feet behind the red line when they threw it in the zone. The linesman started putting his hand up and stopped. No Sioux was even close to having a chance to get to it.

The pucked bounced CC's way all night.

After Eidsness's save on McCullough I immediately turned to my daughter and said "Save of the Year". Thank you Parise that it at least gave us a tie.

OK this may have been posted already but what does the tie do for the Sioux in the pairwise?

On a side note watching some of the Minnesota game last night, they kept saying that know they have home ice sine they won, I thought they were still tied for 5th with other teams. So theyhave not clinched home ice, have they?

OK this may have been posted already but what does the tie do for the Sioux in the pairwise?

On a side note watching some of the Minnesota game last night, they kept saying that know they have home ice sine they won, I thought they were still tied for 5th with other teams. So theyhave not clinched home ice, have they?

The Sioux are still 9th in PWR (tied for 8th, but lose in RPI to UNH).

The Gophers have not clinched home ice yet, that was just the Gopher homers already assuming that they will sweep MTU next weekend. UMN could still finish anywhere from 3rd to 8th in the league.

The Sioux are still 9th in PWR (tied for 8th, but lose in RPI to UNH).

The Gophers have not clinched home ice yet, that was just the Gopher homers already assuming that they will sweep MTU next weekend. UMN could still finish anywhere from 3rd to 8th in the league.

MTU will give them a challenge as well, especially at Houghton. The Gophers do need a sweep next week, in looking at the national picture, but it's not going to get any easier for them, as they'll have a tough first round opponent in the WCHA playoffs. If they don't get by that weekend, I don't see them getting in the national tournament.

Personally, even though I like seeing a lot of teams from the WCHA in the national tournament, I have no problem seeing the Gophers miss the nationals. ???

Personally, even though I like seeing a lot of teams from the WCHA in the national tournament, I have no problem seeing the Gophers miss the nationals. ???

Agreed, especially with a home regional this year. Then all it takes it two home wins and they're at the F4.

No, I would much rather see both UMN and BC miss the NCAA's this year.

Agreed, especially with a home regional this year. Then all it takes it two home wins and they're at the F4.

No, I would much rather see both UMN and BC miss the NCAA's this year.

I have to admit that I feel the same way. What is it with teams that wear maroon? ???

I have to admit that I feel the same way. What is it with teams that wear maroon? ???

I've done some silent cheers seeing BC on the outside of the national tournament at this time. Hoping they don't come on strong now to win the Hockey East tournament, though it wouldn't surprise me...even with BU being so strong this year. One thing York knows is how to get his boys playing hockey at tournament time.

Joe just misplayed the puck behind his own net and a big time goal scorer happened to be there to pick up the turnover and bury it. It happens.

I agree with fundamentals first hockey against a team like this. Speed kills, but perfect positioning trumps speed. As for Chay, you know you live by the Chay you die by the Chay. He will win us games because of his offensive skill and his excellent skating. He will also cost us odd-man rushes because of it. You have to take the good with the bad.

Speaking of skating, Marto, Frattin and Genoway really can flat out skate as well as anyone I've ever seen in a Sioux uniform. Those three are seriously gifted skaters in the Paul Coffey mold.

St Cloud opened the door for us last night. We need to come out flying. Establish a physical presence, make good passes, drive the net. Each line wins their first shift. No exceptions. Blow 'em out the zamboni doors. Don't worry about their speed, just play good positional hockey. Help each other out, and back each other up.

How about Jake Martos play defensively!! loving the old school poke checks hes been using lately

Just think how much better he will be when he leaves school. Marto has improved a lot this season and I am excited about his play

on the ice this season.