SiouxSports.com Forum

Bison on KFYR Radio

Bison Dan

Clear Channel Bismarck Joins Bison Radio Network

Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations

Release: 02/20/2008

Courtesy: Bob Nelson, North Dakota State

Buy Photo

North Dakota State University has added Clear Channel Bismarck to the Bison Radio Network of stations starting with the 2008 football season. Clear Channel Bismarck Vice President and General Manager Bob Denver, NDSU Director of Athletics Gene Taylor and NDSU Director of Athletic Broadcasting Jeremy Jorgenson made the announcement today.

The two-year contract between NDSU and Clear Channel Bismarck guarantees coverage of all football games and one basketball game per week.

During the 2008-09 athletic season, all evening kickoff times will air on 550AM KFYR, while the Thursday night opener with Austin Peay on Aug. 28 and all afternoon kickoffs will air on 710AM KXMR.

"Clear Channel Radio (KFYR AM/ESPN 710) is thrilled to once again be carrying the Bison. We

Clear Channel Bismarck Joins Bison Radio Network

Courtesy: NDSU Athletic Media Relations

Release: 02/20/2008

Courtesy: Bob Nelson, North Dakota State

Buy Photo

North Dakota State University has added Clear Channel Bismarck to the Bison Radio Network of stations starting with the 2008 football season. Clear Channel Bismarck Vice President and General Manager Bob Denver, NDSU Director of Athletics Gene Taylor and NDSU Director of Athletic Broadcasting Jeremy Jorgenson made the announcement today.

The two-year contract between NDSU and Clear Channel Bismarck guarantees coverage of all football games and one basketball game per week.

During the 2008-09 athletic season, all evening kickoff times will air on 550AM KFYR, while the Thursday night opener with Austin Peay on Aug. 28 and all afternoon kickoffs will air on 710AM KXMR.

"Clear Channel Radio (KFYR AM/ESPN 710) is thrilled to once again be carrying the Bison. We

I'm sorry we care WHY?

Because this station has been airing UND football games for the last several years and covers most of central ND. I believe UND's media contract with Clear Channel expires this summer. With the new hi-power KVOX now in the market, it makes you wonder if there's going to be a shake-up this summer when UND starts to negotiate a new contract. Could this be the opening play?

I was thinking about posting this myself, but I couldn't think of a tactful way of broaching the subject.

With the new hi-power KVOX now in the market, it makes you wonder if there's going to be a shake-up this summer when UND starts to negotiate a new contract. Could this be the opening play?

I think you may have missed the opening play (if KVOX wasn't it).

The (new) 50kW KVOX isn't the newest 50kW stick in the game. And like the link says, the new one is owned by the former Sioux Hockey public address announcer at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Very curious.

But I don't think anybody(except those involved in the deal) knows what format WZFN 1100AM will be. With Scott Hennen as the owner, you'd think right-leaning talk radio would be the most likely. It's possible that WZFN could go with sports programming, but the FM market already has ESPN(KQWB 1660AM) and Fox Sports(KVOX 740AM). Is there room(and programming) for a third AM sports radio station in the Fargo market? I guess there's no hard reason that WZFN couldn't do both talk radio and UND athletics, but I doubt it would happen unless UND did all the production and just rented the airtime; probably too expensive to have the people and equipment just for a limited number of college sporting events. Could be wrong, though.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if WDAY(ForumComm) becomes the new radio home of UND athletics within a couple years. It looks like either UND or Clear Channel is not interested in renewing the existing contract, and, since NDSU has taken all radio production in-house, there don't seem to be many ties remaining between those two. It really seems to come down to what KVOX does. If they go with NDSU, then WDAY becomes redundant and available. If they go with UND, then they become a core piece to UND's coverage in southeast and central North Dakota. The next couple years might be very fun if you're into this sort of thing(like me, obviously).

... do both talk radio and ... athletics ...
Seems more common than not (KFGO, WDAY, KSTP, WCCO, ... ).

The next couple years might be very fun if you're into this sort of thing(like me, obviously).
Right now there are more good questions than good answers.

Because this station has been airing UND football games for the last several years and covers most of central ND. I believe UND's media contract with Clear Channel expires this summer. With the new hi-power KVOX now in the market, it makes you wonder if there's going to be a shake-up this summer when UND starts to negotiate a new contract. Could this be the opening play?

I was thinking about posting this myself, but I couldn't think of a tactful way of broaching the subject.

This is one of the most glaring examples of why UND and UND athletics overall are struggling. Too many people do not understand the inroads NDSU has made in the last 5-6 yrs. If you don't get out much ask those who live west of the Missouri. UND needs to be associated with whatever vehicle will get us the best exposure in the western part of the state. The western part of N.Dak. has many more UND than NDSU grads but the Bismarck Mandan area is growing and there are many new businesses with ties to neither school. We need to make sure the new relationships are with UND. NDSU has done such a good job of marketing both athletics and academics that they could very well be the larger of the two schools by next fall. We have done nothing to couter that marketing and it hurts us. We have allowed the student enrollment in an outstanding College of Engineering to drop while their enrollment in an also outstanding School of Engineering thrives and it is now their largest College with something like 3000 engineering students from what I am told. (better check the numbers cuz I could be way off).

We have been the big dog in the state for so many years our Alumni office and our Public relations staff have not done their job in making sure this didn't occur. We have gottne "fat and happy". In athletics, because FB, Hockey and WBB have done so well we have become complacent. We hired the wrong AD and we have not put enough emphasis on our other sports like baseball, track, and VB. We let MBB hit bottom and are still struggling.

I have heard nothing but good things about the new president. I have heard he has a lot of the charisma of Chapman but in addition has integrity. We need to solve the issue of a new AD. We need to focus on the person who will sell UND athletics to the non-UND folks and re-establish ties to UND supporters and Alumni. It is a daunting task. That person will need to increase revenues quickly and determine which programs we can support, which we should add if any and which if any we drop. We can't afford to let programs die a slow death.

We need to upgrade the staff in enrollment services and make sure that we are getting the best HS school kids in the state and the area. I can't get them to come to our community where only 5 yrs ago over 10% of the graduating class of over 200 went to UND. This year we lost kids who wanted to go there until they made a visit to campus and weren't even shown the Englestad arena nor the fitness center.

We must get Kelly on board ASAP. He has a major problem to deal with with the Dean of the MD school and the UND image both as a University and our atheltics. He will need to make the right choice for AD so that he can concentrate on establishing relationships with the legislators, our students, the GF-EGF communities and key leaders in the state and surrounding region.

I also think is is a travesty that Bollinger isn't an applicant for the AD job. Whomever we hire needs to have the class, loyalty, work ethic and charisma of Rob or someone like him. We can't afford to make the same mistakes we have in the past. I received a call from a friend when Bruce Smith's name wasnt' forwarded to the State Board. Although it should have been, the right guy got the job. I hope we don't wait until a new AD is chosen then try and derail the process after the fact. Hopefully there is a good candidate in the group.

Why does it always have to be UND vs. NDSU.

Why does it always have to be NDSU vs. UND.

Why can't the two research universities of the great state of North Dakota work together to educate the great students in the many disciplines that both schools excel at?

They can and should, but Clifford and Loftsgard are no longer the presidents. There is no leadership from the Governor's office. He will do whatever it takes to advance his own and his party's welfare. (no I am not a Democrat or even close).

We now compete with each other for not only the engineering students, but nursing students and business students. It doesn't need to be a cut throat competition. NDSU has done a number of very good things and improved not only the public perception of the school and their mission but has improved the quality of a number of their programs. Those kids who look at those programs are the same kids UND is trying to attract.

They can and should, but Clifford and Loftsgard are no longer the presidents. There is no leadership from the Governor's office. He will do whatever it takes to advance his own and his party's welfare. (no I am not a Democrat or even close).

We now compete with each other for not only the engineering students, but nursing students and business students. It doesn't need to be a cut throat competition. NDSU has done a number of very good things and improved not only the public perception of the school and their mission but has improved the quality of a number of their programs. Those kids who look at those programs are the same kids UND is trying to attract.

The sad part is that NDSU shouldn't even be competing with us for students in the areas of business and nursing. Our programs are far superior here at UND, but we're so poor at advertising and selling the strength of these programs that NDSU just says they're better or just as good and a lot kids who don't do the research believe it. I for one am looking forward to our change of leadership and wish Kelley would start tomorrow instead of July 1st. Kupchella has more or less been retired for two years now and our school has suffered because of it. We need to start marketing ourselves and fighting for the institution of UND, because the likes of Chapman and Paulsen view the competition between the schools as a zero sum game and will go out of their way to harm UND even if it means hurting the state of ND as a whole.

We can't turn back on business now. We're invested in the downtown campus.

But I'll give you nursing if you give us engineering and architecture.

Nursing belongs with the medical school.

I know the constitution of ND calls for a school of mines in Grand Forks, but precedent exists in other dual public flagship states to have the liberal arts/medical/law university not have an engineering dept and the A&M university have one.

Off hand, the Universities of Montana and South Dakota have no engineering depts while MSU and SDSU do. As well, larger state schools like the U of Oregon and the U of Indiana have no engineering dept while Or St and Purdue do.

Probably.

But as I said with business, we're too invested in pharmacy to let that one go.

So what do you say, nursing for E&A straight up?

We don't have architecture. UND's Engineering has a long tradition of excellence and won't be traded for something we already have. Aeronautical Enginerring should be at UND because of the Aviation program.

UND has a much bigger and better college of business but NDSU won't give theirs up because they were losing prospective athletes and students when they had to sell them on getting their classes from Moorhead State. UND' s Chemical Engineering fits well at UND. Civil, Mechanical and Electrical are good at both places but bigger at NDSU. If anything their should be some sort of compromise to move the programs so they are offered at only one of the two schools. Nursing and Business could be part of the discussions. I don't see Chapman compromising on anything that doesn't give his school the advantage. That is his M.O. Not criticizing, it is just who he has been and I don't see that changing.

In hindsight, knowing that the State would only grow to 650,000 people, they should have combined the two institutions at their inception. But they didn't and there's no going back now. If Chapman and NDSU would rather compete than cooperate, then I say UND should take the gloves off and compete. No sense complaining about it.

Back to the original topic, I just assumed both NDSU and UND already had state-wide radio coverage. If not, that's a pretty sad commentary on both institutions as far as I'm concerned.

Aeronautical Enginerring should be at UND because of the Aviation program.

This is true.

But why does UND need ECE, CIE and ME depts.?

ChemE would fit nicely in with NDSU's polymers/coatings division in ME.

UND has a much bigger and better college of business but NDSU won't give theirs up because they were losing prospective athletes and students when they had to sell them on getting their classes from Moorhead State.

Regardless of why we started one, we can't go back on that because we're invested in the downtown campus.

If anything their should be some sort of compromise to move the programs so they are offered at only one of the two schools.

Why not have auronautical engineering at UND and the rest of the engineering depts. at NDSU?

Chem Eng ... Energy and Environmental Research Center ... anyone ... Bueller? And Chem Eng has decent ties to Geology and Geological Eng also.

Now, for Aero, which is based from ... Mechanical. And these days Mechanical is becoming more and more Mechatronic (mechanical and electrical hybrid).

There's a common core of course work in all engineering disciplines. You have one degree you have the first two years of most programs.

However, engineering is good jobs. Before any of this talk should even be considered (by folks who do have the power) ...

The first consolidation or realignment in the NDUS has to be closing some of the college campuses.

This is true.

But why does UND need ECE, CIE and ME depts.?

ChemE would fit nicely in with NDSU's polymers/coatings division in ME.

Regardless of why we started one, we can't go back on that because we're invested in the downtown campus.

Why not have auronautical engineering at UND and the rest of the engineering depts. at NDSU?

Doesn't your same argument about the investment that you use about your business college also apply to UND's Engineering College investment. We can't go back because we have invested in the campus! Certainly from the fiscal standpoint, quality of programming, and tradition UND has mush more invested in their Engineering than NDSU has invested in their Business program.

Chem Eng ... Energy and Environmental Research Center ... anyone ... Bueller? And Chem Eng has decent ties to Geology and Geological Eng also.

Now, for Aero, which is based from ... Mechanical.

Chem Eng, Aero Eng, Geo Eng, Bio/Med Eng at UND.

ECE, CIE, ME and Arch. at NDSU.

The first consolidation or realignment in the NDUS has to be closing some of the college campuses.

Closure is a dream.

I think the realistic route is to get Mayville and Valley City turned into junior colleges.

Doesn't your same argument about the investment that you use about your business college also apply to UND's Engineering College investment.

What new engineering facilities have you built?

NDSU is constructing a whole new downtown campus.

That more than anything is the investment I'm talking about.

In other words, no new teaching facilities. Just research facilities.

You certainly would not have to close any research facilities that you have, on or off campus.

Basically I'm proposing, in an act of good faith partnership and duplicity elimination within the NDUS, that UND closes the depts. of ME, EE and CivE within the School of Mines and that NDSU closes the depts. of Nursing, Clinical Laboratory Science, Radiologic Sciences and Respiratory Care within the College of Pharmacy and the dept. of Geology within the College of Science and Math.